Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

inappropriate homebrew apps

Posted by ziggyhbomb 
inappropriate homebrew apps
July 30, 2010 04:08PM
i have seen a app where there is a bad pause screen, it gets worse if you press B while in the pause screen. the app i am talking about is blast guy. i do not understand why there is no check for bad images before putting an app in the homebrew browser, were kids can download it.
THIS MAKES ME MAD! games like quake are okay because there is a WARNING, but blastguy has no warning what so ever, and when you pause it, a women with a short dress is holding a pause sign (it gets worse when you press b).
once again, apps like quake do not need to be banned, since it has a warning (as of this time) and because it is a teenager game, but i request a check on all family games("my little ball" is one). if we can't have that, put some parental controls so we can block games not suited for small kids, but keep teens happy.
Re: inappropriate homebrew apps
July 30, 2010 04:43PM
I haven't tried Blast Guy, but I don't think there are any problems with My Little Ball. I don't know if you were implying there is an issue there or whether you're just saying it should be checked, but I don't think there are any inappropriate images in it.

Anyway, I agree that there should be a warning at least on any app with inappropriate images, and parental controls may be a decent idea too, this could also be used to prevent young children messing with dangerous apps like AnyTitle Deleter or dop-Mii or something like that.
July 30, 2010 04:59PM
Oh, I like that idea. You could add a node to the meta files like so:
[name]Awesome Blood Kill-Zone[/name]
[coder]Someone[/coder]
[version]1.5[/version]
[rating]PG-13[/rating]

We could use "A" for either "adult" or "admin". Something like DOP-Mii doesn't have strong language (that I could find, anyway) but we still don't want the kids playing with it.
July 30, 2010 05:46PM

i do not understand why there is no check for bad images before putting an app in the homebrew browser, were kids can download it.

Because the HB scene wasn't originally designed with needing to censor it's content. This is a GLOBAL community and societies across the world have different views on content screening and even the defined age of a minor. Not saying it is right or wrong... just that it's the same argument for what is legal in one place may be illegal in another. "Who are you to censor me!" type mentality.

But i like your solution... you don't want stuff removed... just a warning mentioning that there may be questionably offensive material. I'm cool with that. A little rating system isn't gonna hurt anyone. Heck it would be naive to think that only 18+ year olds (or whatever your country's minor age is) are on the wii, hacking, coding, and downloading. Heck the average age of HB coders out there today is probably younger than you think.. (IE i'm an old guy in this game).

Problem is, with all that is available out there on the internet these days... it's tough.

I do find it funny that you just want a warning. You are ok that kids download it and view it, so long as it says "WARNING" on it. That's kind of mixed up priorities. But, assuming you are aware of all your children's downloads, this would work.
July 31, 2010 03:02AM
I think that integrating parental controls into the Homebrew Channel is a good idea. You could have a kid friendly flag in the meta.xml file for an app, and have apps without the flag request the Wii's parental control pin before launching. Also, users could modify their own meta.xml files for precise control over what their kids can and can't launch.
July 31, 2010 05:12AM
I like the concept of a ratings system, as long as it isn't a mandatory one. This just stems from my disbelief in any and all censorship. I mean, The pause screen in Blastguy is a girl in a short dress, ok, no big deal. If you press B, the dress disappears, and you can see her breasts. I don't see the big deal with that. Perhaps someone could explain this to me? I would honestly love to know people's abhorrence of strong language, and nudity. As far as the language goes, it's just a sound. The nudity... Well, the human body is a work of art. Who or what made that piece of art is up to you, but the fact remains, that it is a piece of art to be admired, not admonished.

tl;dr I agree with the idea of a rating system, as people may choose to use it, but don't understand why people would, except in the case of a dangerous app.
July 31, 2010 06:23AM
Yeah I don't see what the big deal is, they're just pixels...

^Links to unedited version.

If it really bothers you, put this file in sd:\apps\blastguy\res\
pause_XD.png
July 31, 2010 08:30AM
Even if it was a photo, still, it's just tits.

Either way, the word Pause covers the nipples, and you can't see the vag. Just sayin'
July 31, 2010 08:42AM
NOFX
Fuck the Kids
July 31, 2010 09:02AM
The fact that we don't see anything wrong with something doesn't mean that everyone shares our opinions. It's just a fact of life. Some people find comfort in those kinds of restrictions. Is it right or wrong? The answer is different for every person. I'm getting a little philosophical here, but I'd like to say that I think trying to accommodate for these other viewpoints would help legitimize homebrew in the eyes of the consumer. The consumer being, dare I say it, "regular people" as in: people who don't spend hours upon hours pouring over code, and just want to play a game, or watch a video. This also would further the "We're not the bad guys" cause.
July 31, 2010 10:48PM
And again, most of us live with people who should not be able to launch utilities such as Anytitledeleter. Very bad things could happen. $200 worth of bad things to be exact.

bg4545
If it really bothers you, put this file in sd:\apps\blastguy\res\
pause_XD.png

This is why I love homebrew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2010 10:51PM by winmaster.
July 31, 2010 11:37PM
winmaster
Why's that? Because I can use photoshop?
August 01, 2010 05:51AM
I'm curious to see how many of those saying "Don't censor me, the body is a work of art... what's the big deal" have kids older than 10.

My kids are not that old yet, but I can EASILY see why you want some of these features mentioned and why it could be a big deal.

10 years ago, i would have been in the "who cares" pile. (i still have one foot in that pile)
August 02, 2010 05:01AM
bg4545
winmaster
Why's that? Because I can use photoshop?

No, because you can just replace a file on your SD card and bingo, you have a game or app modified to suit your needs or interests. "Don't like the pause screen? Fine, just drop this one in its place." This is impossible with official games.
August 02, 2010 09:03AM
Oh, I see.. But of course that is not true with all homebrew games/apps; but with the open source ones you can modify them as well.
August 02, 2010 01:42PM
Although now with Riivolution it could also be possible for some official games...
August 14, 2010 03:51PM
crazy americans. nuking a whole country is less offensive than a lady in pixel art

mamamia
August 14, 2010 09:28PM
Now, I can't speak for other Americans, but I personally do not have access to nuclear weapons, nor the desire to. In fact, I am willing to wager that most people do not, in fact, "nuke" countries over disputes such as inappropriate language or images in our homebrew video games.

No, I think that the rating system suggested would do much better, both in the short and long term.
August 14, 2010 11:39PM
sakamoto: That was completely uncalled and rather deranged.
dancingninja: Please use the report button or PM me instead of wasting your time replying to trolls in the future.

Regarding this topic: I think that all that needs to be said has been said. This is a homebrew "scene". There is no ESRB. Perhaps one day, teknecal will add an adult content warning to the HBB or perhaps TT will add an adult content tag to meta files. Whether or not they do is not up to anyone involved in the discussion in this topic.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.