Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SMS Plus GX-- "Error opening sd:/"

Posted by TalakHallen6191 
SMS Plus GX-- "Error opening sd:/"
August 01, 2010 01:20AM
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to use the Game Gear emulator SMS Plus GX to relive a bit of my childhood. The emulator worked fine for a while. Now I'm getting the error "Error opening sd:/" every time I try to load a game. All my roms are in
sd:\smsplus\roms\
. I have a similar problem with Wii64 but that usually goes away after I delete a random homebrew app (literally... any random app).

I'm running System Menu 4.3 (the emulator has worked after updating to 4.3) and I have an 8GB micro SDHC card in an adapter. It is formatted in FAT32 with an allocation size of 4096 (is this the right format? wiibrew.org says to use the cmd
format h: /fs:fat/a:4096
but after I execute that command and try to access my card to copy all my homebrew over it prompts me to format the card again. And no amount of formatting my SDHC card and reinstalling the emulator will solve the problem. Anyone else having this issue?

I am also running Snes9xGX, FCE Ultra GX, and VBA GX with no problems. All my other homebrew applications seem to like this SDHC card just fine. Thanks for any help.

P.S. lawl at the pirate song if you don't check the box before posting.
Re: SMS Plus GX-- "Error opening sd:/"
August 01, 2010 06:12AM
Micro SD and SDHC cards have really bad compatibility rates which is the fault of no one but the manufacturers who for the most part produce really crappy cards. Bunnie wrote a great article about this phenomenon here: [www.bunniestudios.com] The Wii (and perhaps even more so, libfat) is particularly sensitive. This explains the completely nonsensical things you are witnessing (like there's no good reason why deleting a file would make wii64 work :P).

You can try formatting your card to fat32 with your OS and see if that helps. If it doesn't there's really nothing I can tell you besides to use a different device.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 05:49PM by Arikado.
August 01, 2010 07:29PM
this version of smsplus gx is too old , there wasn't any SDHC support at that time for homebrew.
there is a pre-release version here that you can test, it has been compiled with up-to-date libraries .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 07:29PM by ekeeke.
August 02, 2010 05:22AM
Arikado
This explains the completely nonsensical things you are witnessing (like there's no good reason why deleting a file would make wii64 work :P).

HEY! I'm not crazy...at least that's what the voices tell me...

I guess I'll just go out and buy a good old SD card. Just to be sure... 2GB is the max for a standard SD right (wikipedia uses SD as a general term for both SD and SDHC)? Going by this list of compatible cards I'd say going with a SanDisk manufactured one would be a pretty good bet.

That's plenty of room for all my homebrew anyways but I'd like to get the largest possible while still remaining usable (lol that came out wrong). It's kind of refreshing to hear that homebrew can be a lot more stable than it is for me currently.

Thanks for this simple solution. It's nice to know that throwing money at a problem can actually work. xD
August 02, 2010 05:55PM
2GB is the official limit of the SD standard. There were some 4GB "SD" cards that came out before the SDHC standard, though. I put "SD" in quotes there because the SD standard says they cannot really be SD cards at 4GB even though they behave the same way.
August 03, 2010 01:19AM
I went out and bought the official 2GB Wii SD card (it matches my Wii...) for 8 bucks at Wal-Mart... good deal I'd say. Copied everything over and haven't had a single problem for about an hour of accessing various applications. Thanks for the simple solution Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login