Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiMC and MPlayer CE oddness

Posted by liquidtmd 
WiiMC and MPlayer CE oddness
October 11, 2010 12:40PM
Hey

I've not seen any logged, but has anyone had any problems with either WiiMC or Mplayer of late? I've had them installed as channels for six months and had no problems with either. I keep them mainly updated with the latest revisions. I'm running 4.1 sys menu and last month installed HBC 1.0.8.

This was all fine up until last week. MplayerCE was running a movie from a USB stick then went to a completely black screen. I reset the Wii and then went to go back in MPlayer CE through the channel - black screen. I went to load it through the HBC channel but the same thing happened. I played around with this, and ultimately deleted and reinput the MPlayerCE files back onto the SD card. This allowed me to play it via the HBC, not via a channel though.

Funnily enough in the interim, I primarily used WiiMC as a backup (1.0.9). I updated to 1.10 and then used it successfully once. THEN I went to load this and it just got stuck on the 'WiiMC loading' screen. Thinking I'd just load it through the HBC in the meantime like Mplayer, this worked but about 10minutes into playing an album it for no reason crashed into a stack dump exception error screen. When I get chance I'm going to renew the files onto memory card like Mplayer to see if it has any affect.

So ultimately - has anyone had these errors lately? Since they were running fine I understand if the update to WiiMC knocked something out of sync (however unlikely), but with MplayerCE it just literally conked out for no reason. Again no system updates have been done in a year, and the HBC was updated last month.

No biggie since MplayerCE is working again (kind of), just curious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 12:46PM by liquidtmd.
Re: WiiMC and MPlayer CE oddness
October 11, 2010 06:59PM
Have you tried updating the WiiMC channel to 1.5? As per the WiiMC website
If you are using an older channel, you must upgrade or WiiMC may hang.

Also be sure to not just copy over the 1.4 channel install files, or you could inadvertently load boot.elf (1.4) instead of boot.dol (1.5)
October 12, 2010 10:53AM
Thanks Tantric, will try this tonight and post what kind of results I get back.

Not sure what WiiMC channel I have on, but again I try to keep updated with the latest revisions etc posted through the Homebrew browser.

The MplayerCE thing was plain odd though. Halfway through a film then just black screen, no dump exceptions nothing. Thats ok now though still can't get that through a channel.

Keep up the good site guys - must be hard to keep on top of it, since half the posts seem to be "OMG how do I play loader gamez" despite warnings everywhere and having to click a disclaimer with every new post.
December 27, 2010 08:44AM
Hi guys, first post.

I too am getting the black screen when trying to boot mplayer ce from either a channel or from HBC. Searched a bit on google and found several references to this issue, but never any solid advice for resolving it. My mplayer ce went down exactly the same as liquidtmd described, in the middle of a film I was watching last night. I've tried reinstalling mplayer but both versions behave the same.

Might you have any suggestions for a way to fix this?

Cheers,
Callmemitchs
December 29, 2010 05:29PM
I tried to think of other variables that may have done this to me when I posted - In hindsight the only thing I'd done vaguely around that time was to install IOS58 but not update and reinstall the HBC which was still running through IOS61. Admittedly thats unlikely to have done it but again it just conked out for no reason - I was gutted, MPlayerCE's simplicity makes it perfect for me.

After I posted this I've had no problems - still can't get MplayerCE to work properly through a channel but through HBC it's fine and solid, so no biggie. A reinstall helped, but since you've done this I'm not sure. Are you on 4.1 out of interest like me, IOS?

Think my WiiMC issue was def solved by Tantrics suggestion of keeping top of the channel installer revisions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 05:30PM by liquidtmd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login