Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PAL disc on NTSC US

Posted by kobalobasileus 
PAL disc on NTSC US
October 12, 2010 11:35PM
I've been looking into the best way to region-free a PAL game onto a US Wii. I don't have the disc in-hand yet, because it doesn't come out until the end of the month (so I can't test anything yet), but I have it pre-ordered.

I know Startpatch allows region-free gaming, but the Wii in question has System 4.1 (with no desire to upgrade), and I have read that Startpatch 4.1 has an error that breaks GC compatibility if Wii region-free is installed. Has this been fixed yet? Also, I can't tell from the documentation if Startpatch does anything to force PAL video on NTSC (it doesn't look like it does, but I could be wrong).

So, with my preferred method for region-free looking like its out of the picture, I was wondering what simple ways you folks would recommend for launching a retail PAL disc on a US Wii.
Re: PAL disc on NTSC US
October 13, 2010 12:10AM
You could use Priiloader to patch the System Menu, or you can use Gecko OS to load your game rather than the disc channel.
October 13, 2010 02:19AM
Hopefully the Priiloader patches will work. However, they have sometimes been known to prevent some games from launching through the disc channel at all (this may apply to the StartPatch patches as well, I'm not sure). At least, I have had this issue with the 3.2U region free patch, and there have been a few other reports of similar issues. Still, since the Priiloader patch is so easy to disable if you don't like it, you may as well try it.
October 13, 2010 02:59AM
Does Priiloader force video compatibility? I don't really want to mess with my boot sector anymore than I have with BootMii.

I've been considering Gecko OS as a last resort. It seems like a rather inelegant solution.
October 13, 2010 04:42AM
Priiloader takes the place of the system menu; it does not modify boot2 like Bootmii does. There is practically no risk in installing it, and absolutely no risk if you already have Bootmii/boot2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login