Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Original sega controller in SMSplus

Posted by lamorten 
Original sega controller in SMSplus
December 09, 2010 11:52AM
hi everybody,

Love the SMSplus emulator!
I recently bought an adapter that allows you to use original NES, SNES, N65, GEN and SMS controllers, that goes in the gamecube controller port on the wii!

The adapter works very well in all of the know emulators,
however, the option for assigning the buttonmappings in SMSplus are not working very well with the original SMS controller!
The option allows you to assign button 1, 2 and then also pause, soft-reset and menu.
Those last 3 options are unessacery in my case, due to the fact that the original SMS controller only had 2 buttons!!

The problem is, that you cannot skip the 3 other button-assigning options - so you basically has to map a button for each funtion, and since the original controller only has 2 buttons, you just have to assign one of those as pause, soft-reset and menu. This overrules the previous assignments of button 1 and 2.

so, i want to ask, is there any way to skip those choices,
anyway to configure the button mappings, say, on my PC or something like that?
I tried open both the .dol and the XML document already :)

thanks,
Morten

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 01:02PM by lamorten.
Re: Original sega controller in SMSplus
December 09, 2010 12:57PM
This is not possible actually and there are no .xml files provided so nothing you could change yourself. The problem is that this kind of adapter (I have one also) makes the SMS controller recognized as a Gamecube controller and there is no way to know how many buttons are really available.

I would need to change the way the key mapping option works to let the user only configures the buttons he wants or simply use default keys for start/menu/soft-reset.
December 09, 2010 04:27PM
Can you use a Gamecube controller to map the buttons (and use buttons that aren't on the SMS controller) then switch it to the SMS controller?
December 09, 2010 04:34PM
@ekeeke Yeah, that sounds like the only way to go! I hope this could be implemented in future versions!
In emulators like Snes9x GX, I cannot map the buttons at all, with my Snes controller, but here the gamecube's standard settings fit perfect for the original snes controller :)

@bg4545 Sounds like it's woth a try! Unfortunatly I dont own a gamecube controller! :(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2010 04:35PM by lamorten.
December 09, 2010 05:06PM
Well if you have another controller such as an N64, SNES, or Genesis controller (with your adapter) you could maybe do the same thing? (As long as it has enough buttons)
December 09, 2010 05:17PM
lamorten
@ekeeke Yeah, that sounds like the only way to go! I hope this could be implemented in future versions!
In emulators like Snes9x GX, I cannot map the buttons at all, with my Snes controller, but here the gamecube's standard settings fit perfect for the original snes controller :)

what is the mapping (SMS<->GC) of your adapter ?

because mine already perfectly fits the default smsplus-gx mapping (B =Button 1, A = Button 2). I bought it from here.
December 09, 2010 05:31PM
I solved the issue!

I mapped button 1 and 2 to my SMS controller, and then I just plugged my SNES controller into the adapter aswell, and assigned the unwanted button-mappings to the SNES controller,

This will work fine for now :)

thanks for your help and advice, guys!

@ekeeke I think mine was pretty much in favor of GEN, but since it uses the same type of port as SMS, I figured it would fit :)

heres the one I've got!:
[cgi.ebay.com]
December 09, 2010 06:04PM
I see.

When you connect a SMS controller to a Genesis, buttons 1&2 are either seen as buttons B&C or A&START. So if your adapter cannot detect the controller type (mine does apparently), it will see those Genesis buttons pressed instead and trigger the respective Game Cube inputs, which most likely won't fit with smsplus-gx default.
December 09, 2010 08:43PM
once again thanks for your help, i din't even think about using another controller and assigning the unwanted buttons to that controller..
is so nice being able to use your original controllers to play these 8bit wonders once again!

I'm thinking about getting another adapter just like tahe one @ekeeke posted...
happy holidays ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login