Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Doom and quake apps

Posted by technoman 
Doom and quake apps
May 09, 2011 10:52PM
No matter what i do i can't get the wii doom or quake to work. Do I need some kind of rom or DOS abandonware? I'm asking because I tried both of those games with tantric's DOSbox and quake won't load and doom moves like shit through a straw.

EDIT: sorry that i posted it in the wrong section. could one of the mods move it? thnx :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 10:54PM by technoman.
Re: Doom and quake apps
May 09, 2011 11:17PM
WiiDoom should work straight from the HBC without anything added, Quake Wii needs a shareware or full version.
[url=http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Quake_Wii
Quake Wii[/url]]
Extract the downloaded file into the root of your SD card.
If you don't own the full version, the shareware version with PAK0.PAK is available here. If you own the full version, the PAK files are inside Quake's ID1 folder on your computer.
Copy the PAK0.PAK (and PAK1.PAK if you own the full version) file to /apps/quake/ID1 on your SD card.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2011 11:18PM by bg4545.
May 12, 2011 12:36AM
It said for doom that it needed this wad thing from my abandonware; so I loaded it and now it just freezes in the menu. Quake was even worse, I had to rename the PAK file, because it refused to load my pak1, and then it said something about not finding this gfx file.
May 12, 2011 12:40AM
Start over and follow the directions on each app's WiiBrew page.
May 12, 2011 12:46AM
I did. I'm probably better off to scrap the idea and just use my pc dosbox on the tv.
May 12, 2011 12:49AM
Doom doesn't need the wad as it comes with prboom-whatever and Quake needs the PAK0.PAK that I linked to. Make sure you've got those exactly down first.
May 12, 2011 10:16PM
I have all the original zips from when I downloaded it. I'll kill the Doom cuz I like quake alot better. And I know I don't need the shareware cuz I have the full version of it. I went under the ID1 folder on my DOS quake and took the pak file from there.
May 12, 2011 11:03PM
What I'm saying is test it with the shareware to make sure it works.
May 13, 2011 12:45AM
Ok I'll try it.

EDIT: The one that's included doesn't work either :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 12:45AM by technoman.
May 13, 2011 03:45AM
Hmm I just tried both WiiDoom and Quake Wii and they worked. For you it just freezes?
May 13, 2011 08:06PM
Pretty much. Is it a bug?
May 15, 2011 08:52AM
Technoman,
you would better use the program "Quake gx" or "Quake wii". They are ports of the quake engine and they work much better than the original quake under dosbox. Also in the dosbox page they advise to use them.
There is also a port for wiidoom (wiidoom).

[wiibrew.org]

[wiibrew.org]
May 16, 2011 10:27AM
Small note, Doom and Quake are not abandonware (which isn't even a real term, but mostly used for games you can no longer buy in any way, and haven't been able to buy for years)

Steam sells them: [store.steampowered.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login