Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVD USB access

Posted by bubblenugget 
DVD USB access
January 31, 2012 05:18PM
Newb issue, I have Wii64 Beta 1.1 installed and running well off my SD card. I've tried accessing games off of the USB (FAT32 in /wii64/roms) and the DVD drive, and Wii64 says that it cannot access either. I've read that DVDX is not in the latest IOS, but I'll be happy if I can just get USB access for Wii64 and WiiSX. I have also used WiiMC and WiiXplorer and they are able to access my USB drive with no issue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Re: DVD USB access
January 31, 2012 06:36PM
Try and find bg4545's unofficial builds of Wii64 and WiiSX. They have improved USB compatibility so should hopefully fix your problems. I'll try and find them and post the link later if I remember, I don't have time right now though.
January 31, 2012 10:54PM
January 31, 2012 10:55PM
Oh yeah, forgot I meant to find that. Well, now I don't have to :P
February 01, 2012 06:11AM
Still no luck. One thing I just realized was that they are looking for "usb:/wii64/roms" and when I view the drive from WiiXplorer it shows it as "usb1:/wii64/roms". I tried a few other emulators like the GX set and they can't seem to find the USB port either. WiiXplorer and WiiMC don't have this problem. I'm thinking now that I need to change the mount ID, but I'm not sure how.
February 01, 2012 06:14PM
Did you try the other USB port? Maybe the emulators only work with one port but WiiMC and WiiXplorer work with both? (Just theorising here)
February 02, 2012 03:47AM
Proper homebrew doesn't care about which port is used.
The "usb1" prefix in wiixplorer is irrelevant, it only does that to show the partition number.
February 02, 2012 03:35PM
@SifJar - I tried both US ports both individually and at the same time. WiiXplorer only read one USB drive when they were both plugged in and used the same label. Either way, none of the emulators seem to detect the drives.

@tueidj - It seems to be a pretty common occurrence with people who are having this issue, showing usb1:/wii64/roms instead of usb:/wii64/roms. I am curious to see if the same naming occurs with users who are able to load games via USB. Regardless of what the emulators should be able to read, on any machine where a partition loads as K:/ and the software refuses to look for anything but D:/ it simply won't work. I was hoping to find a way to change either the USB alias on the Wii or the emulator settings through some standard INI process. Most of my research so far has ended in "wait for the emulators to be updated" so I suppose that's the only thing I can do.

I guess I'll be patient and see what comes out. If anyone has any other ideas I can try, I am definitely open to them. Thanks!
February 02, 2012 04:49PM
So, I copied the SD card files (apps and all) over to the USB drive so that I could try loading them that way. I left the SD card out and let HBC pull from USB instead. Alas, all of the emulators can now access it without a hitch.

I'm not sure what files did the trick, but it seems that there is more to having just the proper ROM directories on the USB drive. I'll do some more toying around later to see if I can pin it down. I hope this helps everyone else who had this problem.
February 02, 2012 05:45PM
bg4545: If you're going to distribute your own builds you should also distribute the source code to be GPL compliant.

The USB issue is probably related to the emulators checking the command line to see which device they were started from and using it for default paths, see the code near [code.google.com]
February 02, 2012 10:13PM
bubblenugget
Still no luck. One thing I just realized was that they are looking for "usb:/wii64/roms" and when I view the drive from WiiXplorer it shows it as "usb1:/wii64/roms". I tried a few other emulators like the GX set and they can't seem to find the USB port either. WiiXplorer and WiiMC don't have this problem. I'm thinking now that I need to change the mount ID, but I'm not sure how.

Whether the emulators are mounting it as usb:/, usb1:/, or monkey:/ isn't important. They are using usb:/ because they only support a single mount on a single device. By default homebrew apps only support a single device and a single partition on that device. A few apps (eg: WiiXplorer and WiiMC) will look through the entire partition list and mount anything it can. But that's the exception. I don't remember if libfat is even smart enough to look for the first *valid* partition or if it just picks the first one it finds...in any case, you could be out of luck for two reasons:

1) trying to use a multi partition drive or
2) device is unsupported by the USB code
February 03, 2012 06:34AM
I still need to figure out what I added to my thumb drive to get that working. I thought I'd lost again with my external HD until I realized that it was NTFS. I'll get it reformatted as fat32 before I try that again. As far as the thumb drive working now, I will post what I find as soon as I get something conclusive.
February 03, 2012 05:14PM
Probably the BIOS or something like that needs to be on the USB as well.
February 04, 2012 10:04PM
OK, so I reformatted my HDD to fat32 and reloaded only the roms folders on it. I was pretty sure that I tried the same thing with my fat32 thumb drive prior to running apps directly from USB without SD and ran into the same issue. Either loading just once from USB without the SD card kicked things up to speed, or I just failed to troubleshoot this the way I'd thought I had. I'm thinking the latter was most likely the case. Either way, fat32, ver1.1.1 emulators, apps loading from SD, everything works perfect now. Thanks for your help everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login