Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why should you remove Gamecube controllers and memory cards before using a homebrew app?

Posted by TheWiiGuy 
Hello. I'm just wondering why it's bad to not remove Gamecube controllers and memory cards before using specific homebrew apps. For example, I was reading a tutorial on Dop Shop, and it said "Remove all GameCube controllers and memory cards. This step is important. Do NOT ignore it." It's been a while since I last used Dop Shop, so I can't remember if I did or not. Does anyone know? When I did use Dop Shop, I didn't use that tutorial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 10:34PM by TheWiiGuy.
Re: Why should you remove Gamecube controllers and memory cards before using a homebrew app?
February 05, 2012 11:33PM
Sometimes people leave the USB gecko debugging output in their programs and the memory cards might get mistaken for a gecko. So the program hangs trying to send output through a device that won't accept it.
OK. This dosen't damage my memory card or put stuff on it, does it? Thanks for the reply, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 11:35PM by TheWiiGuy.
Re: Why should you remove Gamecube controllers and memory cards before using a homebrew app?
February 05, 2012 11:50PM
It shouldn't do any damage, but it can make the apps crash. And just to be safe, I'd recommend always removing just in case.

Also, you shouldn't really use dop-Shop. dop-Mii is a better alternative, which can do everything dop-Shop can do, and much more, and doesn't require a cIOS, which dop-Shop does if I recall. However, you do need to be a little more careful with dop-Mii, as it can cause bricks if you make a mistake, due to the fact it can do more. But as long as you just update the Shop Channel, it'll be safe.
*sighs in relief*
Thanks. I'm actually in the process of unmodding my Wii. (Or as best as I can without bricking it.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login