Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNES9X GX Channel Installer by wilsoff & MrNick666 QUESTIONS!

Posted by ejmerry 
SNES9X GX Channel Installer by wilsoff & MrNick666 QUESTIONS!
August 09, 2012 01:54AM
Hi everyone!,

So I've recently discovered Homebrew and this great site wiibrew.org. I'm very interested in making some artistic/design contributions to the community.

Specifically through custom wii channels/forwarders and I'd like to use this one as a base to learn more. (Or the others for FCE Ultra GX & Visual Boy Advance GX, they use the same basic layout)

How would I replace art assets in this installer? Is there a special program to extract them from the .dol? When I say art assets I mean any graphics used in the channel when small and when clicked on and observed close up. I think they are call logos and banners?

I really would like to create forwarders for really my own personal use, but then hopefully I'll get comfortable & proficient enough to contribute to the community.

If either MrNick666 or wilsoff could post that would be excellent!

Thanks & apologies if this topic is taboo.
Re: SNES9X GX Channel Installer by wilsoff & MrNick666 QUESTIONS!
August 09, 2012 02:09AM
Nevermind. I found the answer in Customizemii. It has one of the installers as an option to use as a base.
August 09, 2012 11:16AM
You can't edit the installers (the DOL files), you can only edit channels (in WAD files). The result is then installed with a WAD installer. The standalone installers are generally only for the "official" channel for a particular piece of software.

Anyway, if you need any reference for editing channels, you could check this out: [sites.google.com]
August 09, 2012 07:58PM
Yes thanks!

I actually found that too just after I posted the question and my own reply..... It always happens that way.

So is there a procedure on creating an "official" installer? I'm not into coding, but I'm just curious.
August 10, 2012 12:54AM
Not really. There are open source WAD installers out there, although all rely on having an IOS that accepts fake signatures (i.e. either a very old IOS or a patched IOS). The "official" installers generally make use of a feature called "HW_AHBPROT", which (in these cases) allows installing channels without any special IOS (i.e. they work on a fully updated Wii).

It would be possible for someone to modify one of the open source WAD installers to use HW_AHBPROT, and also modify it to install only one WAD, which would be packaged inside the DOL.

But I don't think there is an open source "template" as such for these installers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login