Can't get UAE (Wii Amiga Emulator) to run,
August 11, 2013 09:55PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to homebrew. I installed UAE (an Amiga Emulator) through the Homebrew Browser, then I got Amiga Forever for the ROMs and games. I have tried several times to run it and have been unsuccessful every time. Every time I get the same error: that the kickstart rom can't be found.

I have tried the instructions for including the ROMS on the UAE Homebrew page, [wiibrew.org], and the readme file that came with UAE. I have also contacted tech support for the company that provided me with Amiga Forever (Avangate), but they have not gotten back to me.

I think the problem is file structure and /or placement of the ROMs, because:

X in the readme instructions I was told to "Copy everything from the "Amiga Files/System/rom/" directory on your Amiga Forever CD to /uae/roms/ on your SD card, but there is no Amiga Files/System/rom/" directory. There is a Amiga Files/Systems folder that has workbenches in it, and roms in Amiga Files\Shared\rom (I tried using it)

X in the readme instructions I was told to "Copy /uae/roms/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom3", but there is no uae/roms/kick.rom3 file or folder.

X in the WiiBrew instructions, I was told to "Copy /Amiga Files/Shared/rom/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom on your SD card", but there is no kick.rom file or folder

I noticed that the readme instructions said "Copy everything from the "Amiga Files/System/rom/" directory" but there wasn't Systems/rom folder. There was a Files/Systems with workbenches in it. I tried copying all these files and dumping them in /uae/roms/, I saw that the WiiBrew instructions said to "Copy everything from the "/Amiga Files/Shared/adf" directory on your Amiga Forever CD to /uae/roms/ on your SD card", so I tried that instead. I think that is at least partially right. I tried pasting the files in there, both inside the adf folder and without the adf folder

There is a file that says "put-your-kick-dot-rom-here". I tried putting amiga-os-130.rom into "put-your-kick-dot-rom-here" as is, I tried changing "put-your-kick-dot-rom-here" to a rom and putting amiga-os-130.rom in it, I renamed "put-your-kick-dot-rom-here" kick.rom3 (name of file in readme instructions )and tried to put iamiga-os-130.rom in there.

I ran in to a similar problem with the WiiBrew instructions. The instructions said to "Copy /Amiga Files/Shared/rom/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom on your SD card" but there is no kick.rom file.

I tried other stuff as well, but I think you get the idea.

I tried to follow the instructions in the readme file, which are as follows:

One of the best ways of getting access to Amiga kickstart ROMs and
games completely legally is to buy the Cloanto Amiga Forever CD (see
[www.amigaforever.com]). To use this with UAE-wii, you'll need
to do the following (works with version 3 and above):

1. Copy everything from the "Amiga Files/System/rom/" directory on
your Amiga Forever CD to /uae/roms/ on your SD card.

2. Copy /uae/roms/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom

3. If you have upgraded from an older version than 3, remove
/uae/uaerc.saved from your SD card

After this, you can start UAE-Wii as you would otherwise and it will
use the Amiga forever kickstart ROMs. You can copy floppies (ADFs)
from the CD in the same way to /uae/floppies/.

The WiiBrew instructions are

buy the Amiga forever CD from Cloanto. To use this with UAE-Wii, perform the following steps on your host computer:
1. Copy everything from the "/Amiga Files/Shared/adf" directory on your Amiga Forever CD to /uae/roms/ on your SD card.
2. Copy /Amiga Files/Shared/rom/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom on your SD card
3. If you have upgraded from an older version than 3, remove /uae/uaerc.saved from your SD card

I'm frustrated. Please help. Thank you.
Re: Can't get UAE (Wii Amiga Emulator) to run,
September 01, 2013 12:38PM
Copy /uae/roms/amiga-os-130.rom to /uae/roms/kick.rom means

that you have to copy the amiga-os-130.rom file in /uae/roms and rename it as kick.rom

then you have to copy and rename the files according to this

amiga-os-120.rom as kick12.rom
amiga-os-130.rom as kick13.rom
amiga-os-205.rom as kick205.rom
amiga-os-310.rom as kick31.rom

It means that amiga-os-130.rom file must be copied twice as kick.rom and as kick13.rom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login