Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wiiradio

Posted by Manoau2002 
Re: wiiradio and PLS files
May 25, 2009 11:10PM
Downloaded Ver 0.3 from the link here on Wiibrew (the version via the link on homebrew channel just freezes with cursor in top right corner) and now up and running on a Wii 4.0 PAL. Really cool to be able to play Shoutcast radio through the Wii - fantastic job!! Noticed there was an earlier post about wiiradio not recognising PLS files saved to the SD card from Shoutcast. Did this get fixed cos I've tried copying my fave stations over as PLS files to the SD card but although they show up in the PLS folder on the card they don't appear on the playlist menu on the app. I am desperate to listen to "Secret Agent Radio - Soma FM", a bit cheesy but a really cool station!!
May 26, 2009 07:13AM
dablondi
Downloaded Ver 0.3 from the link here on Wiibrew (the version via the link on homebrew channel just freezes with cursor in top right corner) and now up and running on a Wii 4.0 PAL. Really cool to be able to play Shoutcast radio through the Wii - fantastic job!! Noticed there was an earlier post about wiiradio not recognising PLS files saved to the SD card from Shoutcast. Did this get fixed cos I've tried copying my fave stations over as PLS files to the SD card but although they show up in the PLS folder on the card they don't appear on the playlist menu on the app. I am desperate to listen to "Secret Agent Radio - Soma FM", a bit cheesy but a really cool station!!

I fixed the issue from v0.2 but there is another. I've already fixed the new issues in the SVN but I'm not yet ready for another release. If you want to grab the development version of WiiRadio you can find it here : - [code.google.com]

Just dowload the .dol rename it bool.dol and replace the current one for wiiRadio on the SD card (/radiow/boot.dol).

If the bug is what I think you can also fix it by editing the playlist file and wrap the station name in parentheses.
May 26, 2009 09:47PM
Thanks for the update - I'm happy to wait for the "release" version (aka I'm a bit of newbie and get a bit nervous mucking around too much with boot.dol files!). Thought I'd give it a go to edit the PLS file but not quite sure which bit needs to go in parens? This is what the PLS file currently looks like:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Centovalley - Visions Of Voodoo (Secret Agent: The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. For Spys and P.I.'s too! [SomaFM])
[scfire-mtc-aa06.stream.aol.com]

As you can see the station name already seems to be in parens - or do I need to put parens around something else?? The square parens "[" around the web address do not appear in the actual PLS file it should read "h t t p : / / scfire....." but I guess the message board tags it as an address and displays it as a link? Sorry if I am being a bit dumb!
May 26, 2009 11:08PM
dablondi
Thanks for the update - I'm happy to wait for the "release" version (aka I'm a bit of newbie and get a bit nervous mucking around too much with boot.dol files!). Thought I'd give it a go to edit the PLS file but not quite sure which bit needs to go in parens? This is what the PLS file currently looks like:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Centovalley - Visions Of Voodoo (Secret Agent: The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. For Spys and P.I.'s too! [SomaFM])
[scfire-mtc-aa06.stream.aol.com]

As you can see the station name already seems to be in parens - or do I need to put parens around something else?? The square parens "[" around the web address do not appear in the actual PLS file it should read "h t t p : / / scfire....." but I guess the message board tags it as an address and displays it as a link? Sorry if I am being a bit dumb!

Not sure what program created that file but it's an M3U not a PLS file.

Try creating a .pls like so:-
[playlist]
numberofentries=1
File1=http://scfire-mtc-aa06.stream.aol.com/stream/1021
Title1=(#1 - 1/1) Centovalley - Visions Of Voodoo (Secret Agent: The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. For Spys and P.I.'s too! [SomaFM])
Length1=-1
Version=2
August 14, 2009 09:14PM
Does RadioW (Wii Radio) support ogg streams like winamp?

Seems more radio stations are picking up ogg streaming for lower bandwidth higher quality sound.

Also will "Play URL" be incorporated into this app?
August 14, 2009 09:28PM
TomCat39
Does RadioW (Wii Radio) support ogg streams like winamp?

Seems more radio stations are picking up ogg streaming for lower bandwidth higher quality sound.
Ogg support will not be in WiiRadio for a while (At least not the next version). Currently just mp3.

TomCat39
Also will "Play URL" be incorporated into this app?
Not sure what you mean here?
Re: wiiradio
August 15, 2009 09:09AM
Okay, understandable on the ogg. Thanks for the heads up that it's not in the immediate future.

"Play URL" is just as it sounds. If you look at winamp, under it's play menu, you can "Play URL" which opens a dialog box to type in the URL of the stream. If you know the IP or the DNS that points to a stream or music file, winamp then attempts to connect to it to start streaming/playing. This allows a person to easily connect to private shoutcast streams, or ones not publicized on the shoutcast listings.

Instead of making or finding a pls file to put on your SD card, you can just punch in the URL. ie Hardradio mp3 shoutcast PLS URL. Or Direct IP to Hardradio Stream mp3. Both can be typed into the "Play URL" dialog of winamp, and winamp connects and runs with it.

And btw, thank you for this great wiiapp. I'm using it more and more and enjoying the tunes flowing through my 5.1 theater surround system in the living room. :)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 09:18AM by TomCat39.
August 15, 2009 07:41PM

Instead of making or finding a pls file to put on your SD card, you can just punch in the URL. ie Hardradio mp3 shoutcast PLS URL. Or Direct IP to Hardradio Stream mp3. Both can be typed into the "Play URL" dialog of winamp, and winamp connects and runs with it.

Sure, I'll see if I can add it.
August 29, 2009 08:31PM
Hey,

I am a big fan of wiiRadio, thanks for the great app. I have question though, would it be possible to have it playing on the background when executing other wii brew compatible apps?

Thanks again for the great app!!!

Cagell
August 30, 2009 08:12PM
I too would like to thank you scanff for making a very useful app. As a fan of internet radio I'm glad to see it being played from a different medium, and anything that gives the Wii more capabilities is always a huge plus in my eyes. Keep up the good work.
September 03, 2009 10:00AM
This is a great application!!! Works well!! Thank you
September 07, 2009 12:05AM
cagell
Hey,

I am a big fan of wiiRadio, thanks for the great app. I have question though, would it be possible to have it playing on the background when executing other wii brew compatible apps?

Thanks again for the great app!!!

Cagell

I'm sure it would be possible somehow via a loader style program. But having said that WiiRadio uses a lot of memory for buffers, gui and other goodies so your Wii may run out of memory :(
December 23, 2009 06:41AM
I am another (new) fan of WiiRadio.

I wonder if larger buffer sizes might make it possible to play a 320kbps stream. Currently I am only able to play 160kbps streams without the Wii stuttering.

Please see this link for more info: I am trying (and almost succeeding) at using Jamcast on a PC to direct Pandora to my Wii using WiiRadio:
[www.sdstechnologies.com]

I would be glad to give up some of the GUI capabilities to obtain this functionality. I am willing/able to hack on this a bit as well, if you give me some pointers on how to hack-out the resource-intensive portions of the GUI.
December 23, 2009 09:14AM
jae_63
I am another (new) fan of WiiRadio.

I wonder if larger buffer sizes might make it possible to play a 320kbps stream. Currently I am only able to play 160kbps streams without the Wii stuttering.

Please see this link for more info: I am trying (and almost succeeding) at using Jamcast on a PC to direct Pandora to my Wii using WiiRadio:
[www.sdstechnologies.com]

I would be glad to give up some of the GUI capabilities to obtain this functionality. I am willing/able to hack on this a bit as well, if you give me some pointers on how to hack-out the resource-intensive portions of the GUI.

Not so sure that increasing the buffer size would help, it's already a couple of meg. The problem is probably due to the network size limit. This has been increased in the latest libogc and I'll be increasing it in the next version of wiiradio. I've never tested it with a 320kbps stream, I'll have to test it with my local development version and see if I can smooth it out.
December 24, 2009 09:25PM
scanff,

After reading your post I realized that I hadn't tried WiiRadio with a 320kbps radio station. So I did this with "Bartok Radio" (http://212.92.28.75:2008), and sure enough, I saw "Buffering..." messages and heard gaps in the music. But then after about 10 seconds when the screen went black, the re-buffering problem stopped after another 20 seconds had elapsed. So it seems that WiiRadio currently can't handle both the GUI and streaming a 320kbps stream.

So I went back and tried my Jamcast (Pandora) stream again, and this time waited for the screen to go black. There were some small skips in the audio, but I think that this is due to Jamcast, not WiiRadio, since I didn't see the "Buffering ..." messages.

I think that if you could make WiiRadio robust enough to play 320kbps simultaneously with the GUI (by changing the data processing, not by changing the GUI), then it would be robust enough to play Jamcast stations, even if one has to wait until the GUI turns off to use Jamcast.

Thanks for your great software ...
December 28, 2009 09:11PM
jae_63
scanff,

After reading your post I realized that I hadn't tried WiiRadio with a 320kbps radio station. So I did this with "Bartok Radio" (http://212.92.28.75:2008), and sure enough, I saw "Buffering..." messages and heard gaps in the music. But then after about 10 seconds when the screen went black, the re-buffering problem stopped after another 20 seconds had elapsed. So it seems that WiiRadio currently can't handle both the GUI and streaming a 320kbps stream.

So I went back and tried my Jamcast (Pandora) stream again, and this time waited for the screen to go black. There were some small skips in the audio, but I think that this is due to Jamcast, not WiiRadio, since I didn't see the "Buffering ..." messages.

I think that if you could make WiiRadio robust enough to play 320kbps simultaneously with the GUI (by changing the data processing, not by changing the GUI), then it would be robust enough to play Jamcast stations, even if one has to wait until the GUI turns off to use Jamcast.

Thanks for your great software ...

Thanks for testing I'll see what I can do to improve this.
December 29, 2009 11:45AM
FYI (as described on the Jamcast forum thread on sdstechnologies.com linked above) the Jamcast authors gave me instructions to run Jamcast at lower bit rates, and so I now have Pandora working nicely with Jamcast+WiiRadio at 160kbps, which is great.

Some further testing at 320kbps (with both Jamcast and Bartok Radio) showed WiiRadio to be more finicky than I thought, i.e. sometimes it works almost-OK as described above, and sometimes it's much worse than that. It shouldn't be too difficult for you to duplicate my results [with Bartok and/or other 320kbps streams], but I don't know what causes this unpredictable behavior. It shouldn't be network bandwidth since in principle I have plenty of both local wireless and external Internet, and Jamcast only depends upon the former.

Any time you have to experiment with the latest libogc would be great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login