Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ip address blocking, locking dead threads

Posted by dirtrider73068 
Ip address blocking, locking dead threads
October 05, 2010 01:23AM
With the recent IP address banning, and noobs reviving old dead threads, I had a couple of ideas wonder if it could be done and be helpful.

1. Ip address's-Is there a way when ones creates a account, that that account can be locked into one IP address so that person can only have one name to that one IP address, so this keeps a person from creating more than one account to either troll, or create havoc under more than one name.

2. Dead threads-I have seen this on another site I have its a computer help forum. After a certain time frame a thread is locked and says something "time has expired for this thread create a new thread". Doing this, would it help from having noobs, revive a old dead thread to help on a problem, and force them to create a new thread. Can it be setup so the original creator of the thread can request it be reopened to expand or update there own thread.

I don't know if this would be worth it or would be a hassle, or do any good. I think its a good idea, what does everybody else think?
Re: Ip address blocking, locking dead threads
October 05, 2010 03:37AM
1) Unfortunately that could result in problems for people who use internet access in universities, cafes, public libraries, or a number of other places where multiple people may use the same IP address.

2) Whether it's better to bump an old thread with new information or create an entirely new thread is a matter of personal preference. I'm a fan of the former as it is less likely to lead to certain points of discussion being readdressed,
October 05, 2010 03:53AM
Oh yea didn't think about public internet that would be a different Ip address's everywhere. So your saying it would be better to bump a old thread with new but same or like same problem, or would it better to have a new topic made?
October 05, 2010 04:39AM
Some times a thread that may seem dead really comes back later on with more relevant discussion. One possibility is that users below some number of posts could only reply to recent topics or create new topics. Of course, that is assuming that this is even possible to implement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 04:40AM by jbc007.
October 05, 2010 05:04AM
jbc007
Some times a thread that may seem dead really comes back later on with more relevant discussion. One possibility is that users below some number of posts could only reply to recent topics or create new topics. Of course, that is assuming that this is even possible to implement.
But even that could be bad if someone knowledgeable wanted to post new information in a topic but just created an account.
October 05, 2010 07:55PM
About the multiple accounts to one IP thing: Also applies to where there may be more than one person in one household that wants an account, but don't want to share one account.

As for the bumping dead topics issue: I agree (partly) with Arikado that it is better to bump an old topic than start a new one and have the same discussions take place again. However, I feel that in issues such as bricks etc., it is better to start a new topic for an individual's issue. Bumping old topics IMO should only refer to topics discussing a theoretical concept or something like that (and one which hasn't been completely shot down as impossible/impractical/unlikely etc.).
October 05, 2010 08:56PM
SifJar
As for the bumping dead topics issue: I agree (partly) with Arikado that it is better to bump an old topic than start a new one and have the same discussions take place again. However, I feel that in issues such as bricks etc., it is better to start a new topic for an individual's issue. Bumping old topics IMO should only refer to topics discussing a theoretical concept or something like that (and one which hasn't been completely shot down as impossible/impractical/unlikely etc.).
I feel the same way to be honest, I just worded myself supporting the theoretical/conceptual topics. I'm going to play around with the administration settings and see if it's possible to lock topics in some forums (getting started, homebrew applications) after six months of no activity but leave topics in coding, ideas and requests, and others open indefinitely.
October 05, 2010 11:54PM
Bumping some topics I could see also would better than starting anew one, kinda would help with clutter control. I was an idea I thought was good or at least part of it was good. So for the IP address's would be one thing we would just have to contend with then.
October 05, 2010 11:59PM
To update on my last post:

Phorum only gives me an all or nothing option for locking after a certain period of time.

So no, I'm not going to do this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login