Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prolly my misunderstanding...

Posted by Magil 
Prolly my misunderstanding...
December 23, 2010 08:45AM
[forum.wiibrew.org]

... but I thought that cIOS was only to be discussed only when it was related to legitimate homebrew applications. And I found it quite censoring to simply lock the topic. If USB loaders, which require cIOS to work, are forbidden... wouldn't it be, by logic, that Priiloader which requires cIOS to work, be also forbidden?

bg4545
We don't support any cIOSes or patched IOSes [anymore]. Also, Darkcorp should never be used because it can totally screw up your Wii.

Or am I missing a recent reform? I admit I haven't had much time to lurk/post lately.
Re: Prolly my misunderstanding...
December 23, 2010 10:15AM
This HackMii blog post by dhewg states,

The AHBPROT feature, which we described one year ago, allows you to bypass IOS to access devices directly from the PPC, eliminating the need for any IOS patches. Starting now, we will remove all cIOS poisoned applications from the wiibrew.org wiki..
That also applies to these forums. We do not support applications which absolutely need a cIOS and we no longer support cIOSes themselves. Yes the current version Priiloader needs a cIOS but the next version won't. The only reason there isn't a new version is because of a dangerous bug in the HBC. The author of Priiloader refuses to release a new version until the HBC is fixed.
December 24, 2010 01:43AM
Additionally, Priiloader can be installed on an old version of vanilla IOS 36 and once installed, does not need a patched IOS.
December 24, 2010 03:41AM
Yes, the only reason I didn't say that was because I forgot which vulnerability was used for the Priiloader installer and whether or not it was in old IOSes. (I've never used Priiloader.)
December 24, 2010 08:35AM
So, am I supposed to ignore any plea regarding Priiloader, as well as ATD and any other app of that nature from now on? I'm not trying to stir up controversy, just wanting to know how far my helping hand goes (I accept I'm next to useless in these forums, but still...) without having to break rules.

Also, it would be nice to know what version of IOS36 would be used for such a task. I would guess the earliest version available on NUSD, but I wouldn't know. And do excuse my ignorance, but wasn't there a conflict arising in newer Wiis where installing an older version of IOS36 provoking bricks? I might be wrong on this one, but I do recall one or several older versions of IOS wrecking havoc on newer Wiis because said IOS were having trouble interacting with some new innards not available when said old IOS was released.

On a side note... what would your "Anti-spam software" would need to find in my message for it to be considered spam? Unless, of course, I've been blacklisted by you or something... by which means I'd like it if you told me.
December 24, 2010 09:22AM
Magil
So, am I supposed to ignore any plea regarding Priiloader, as well as ATD and any other app of that nature from now on? I'm not trying to stir up controversy, just wanting to know how far my helping hand goes (I accept I'm next to useless in these forums, but still...) without having to break rules.
Not necessarily, you cannot discuss how to patch IOSes or install cIOSes. If someone needs help with Priiloader that's fine, just explain that we cannot tell them how to patch their IOS. As for ATD, there is Bushing's version which doesn't need an old or patched IOS (I compiled it myself; it's on the wiki).

Magil
Also, it would be nice to know what version of IOS36 would be used for such a task. I would guess the earliest version available on NUSD, but I wouldn't know. And do excuse my ignorance, but wasn't there a conflict arising in newer Wiis where installing an older version of IOS36 provoking bricks? I might be wrong on this one, but I do recall one or several older versions of IOS wrecking havoc on newer Wiis because said IOS were having trouble interacting with some new innards not available when said old IOS was released.
Yeah, it would be IOS36 v1042, and yes the so-called "LU64+" Wii's cannot run old IOS versions, but it should not cause an irreversible brick; You can use homebrew running on other IOSes to fix it.

Magil
On a side note... what would your "Anti-spam software" would need to find in my message for it to be considered spam? Unless, of course, I've been blacklisted by you or something... by which means I'd like it if you told me.
If you post quickly then sometimes it does that, or if you have tabs or other windows (with different posts) then it does that. As far as I know, there's no way to "blacklist" a user unless you block them from posting in a section altogether.
December 24, 2010 11:34AM
The spam thing: Apparently it can be triggered by typing too fast when you're typing the reply. Arikado told me that once.

lol, the irony: The spam filter marked this message as possible spam. You'd think moderators would be exempt :P
December 27, 2010 12:37AM
Update: DacoTaco has released Priiloader 0.6, so no IOS patching/downgrading is necessary. Must've gotten sick of waiting for a fixed Homebrew Channel.
December 27, 2010 02:56AM
bg4545
Yeah, it would be IOS36 v1042, and yes the so-called "LU64+" Wii's cannot run old IOS versions, but it should not cause an irreversible brick; You can use homebrew running on other IOSes to fix it.

But wouldn't it be quite troublesome to install something that would conflict with newer Wiis just to install something to protect it from dangers such as this procedure?

winmaster
Update: DacoTaco has released Priiloader 0.6, so no IOS patching/downgrading is necessary. Must've gotten sick of waiting for a fixed Homebrew Channel.

I'm still quite afraid about newer versions of Priiloader. Back when 0.5, someone on IRC insisted that if I was desperate enough that I needed a version of Priiloader that would run the then recently released HBC 1.0.8, to download and install v0.5. And that it was perfectly safe.
I didn't believe him, and I even went over to DacoTaco's channel and asked him myself if it was REALLY safe, and he said "yeah, it's safe". But something in my gut told me to stay away from it... a few days later, v0.5 was removed due to people being bricked.

Has this version been thoroughly tested without the damn "no reload IOS" line? Or does it still present the usual dangers of crashing mid-install?
January 25, 2011 01:06PM
It still has the same dangers, although now Daco thinks that's ok since it's only bricked a handful of wiis out of a few thousand.

As evidence, here are some brick reports:
[wiibrew.org]
[code.google.com]
[gbatemp.net]
March 30, 2011 03:03AM
Wait... so do the documented bricks listed in those links, are they still occurring due to that no_reload_ios string?

The following properly expresses my ignorance on the subject, yet I'm still inclined to asking: what is that string for, and why do devs insist on using it if it's been reported several times for being buggy? (I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I need to refresh my memory)

I, myself, have complained before about this causing every emulator released by Tantric, as well as WiiMC, crashing shortly after initializing. Wouldn't it be best to distribute apps with two different xml's?
April 03, 2011 06:14AM
That string is used so that apps inherit the HW_AHBPROT flag that is set by the Homebrew Channel. I've often wondered why devs can't set this flag themselves to avoid issues.

If Priiloader still supports installing with a trucha bugged IOS, then that should work without that string, provided you have a compatible IOS installed.

All of Tantric's emulators should work without that string provided you do not need disc access.
April 06, 2011 01:51PM
winmaster
That string is used so that apps inherit the HW_AHBPROT flag that is set by the Homebrew Channel. I've often wondered why devs can't set this flag themselves to avoid issues.
Because only the IOS can set this flag. HBC has it because the HBC gets it from the system menu.
April 08, 2011 04:31AM
Daid
winmaster
Because only the IOS can set this flag. HBC has it because the HBC gets it from the system menu.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

BTW, Priiloader 0.7 has been released along with another promise that all issues are fixed.
April 08, 2011 06:50AM
Yeah, and it includes "borrowed" code from Team Twiizers (the DVDX stub) that Daco doesn't seem to want to comment on.

Edit: He has since commented on it, see his patch here:

+//NOTE : this is all copywrited work of marcan for DVDX. i thank him for creating this and i know its illigal for the data
+//to be here. i need to look at how to replace the nand code myself but since the wii scene is dead
+//and since i am close not to give a damn about the wii i can't be arsed to do it atm.
+//this is the only part of my patch that makes it illigal since this is the only part of DVDX left in it
So by his own admission it contains stolen code. Pretty hypocritical for someone who once tried to shut down sites that were redistributing homebrew without the author's permission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 03:58PM by tueidj.
April 19, 2011 01:02PM
tueidj
Pretty hypocritical for someone who once tried to shut down sites that were redistributing homebrew without the author's permission.
hey, at least i gave a damn and added the note and say 187648894819 (aka, 2) times its actually illegal.
nor do i ask money for something that is free & licensed to be free.

you are comparing apples with oranges in which they only have 1 thing in common(being fruit) but are completely different in any other way(different taste,look,vitamins etc etc)

(and if TT would release a new HBC i wouldn't be needing to do that either)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 07:23PM by dacotaco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login