Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiBrew Feedback

Posted by bnesbitt0 
WiiBrew Feedback
March 02, 2013 03:02AM
I can't say enough about this whole thing. All I wanted to do was be able to play DVD movies on my Wii. I found it BS that Nintendo couln't add a few bytes of code to the system to make it do that. I call what those companies do piracy. Force you to have a stack of hardware that you don't need. I stumbled on this and found that I could make my Wii a one stop Game/media shop. I'm going to rave about WiiMC. The SMB feature in WiiMC is amazing. I can play ANYTHING on my Wii now. No more searching around the house through stacks of discs. I setup a network share on my PC to all my MP3,s Home vids, presentations, family photo's, Most everything is all in one awsome menu. You folkes are awsome.

For WiiMC, I recomend the SMB share setting to your media on your local computers. The FTP client is still a little buggy but it's ok because I'm not downloading media. Just accesing on my local computer.

Thanks again.
Re: WiiBrew Feedback
March 02, 2013 03:51PM
bnesbitt0
I call what those companies do piracy.
I fail to see how you reach that conclusion, but I am glad you were able to get your Wii doing what you wanted.
March 02, 2013 07:04PM
Which conclusion?
March 02, 2013 07:46PM
"I call what those companies do piracy". I cannot see how preventing you from playing DVDs on their hardware (a perfectly legitimate decision, resulting in lower production costs [no licensing] and ultimately therefore cheaper retail price) is "piracy", by any definition (copyright piracy or ship-based piracy). They are not redistributing any copyrighted material without the necessary permission, nor are they sailing the seven seas terrorising seafarers and the like. Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it "piracy".
March 02, 2013 08:39PM
Ok so maybe I used the wrong term. Non the less, their decision is lagitamate because it says so on a piece of paper. Who lagitamized it? You don't have to answer that because we both know. Lower cost to produce I agree. However, we are not spending less for our equipment. Are we? We still spend the extra money. We have a Wii that hardware wise is perfectly capable of playing a DVD movie but can't unless we hack it. Most people don't. Then we go buy a DVD player so we can play our DVD's. Then we go buy a CD player to play our music. Really, how much more does it cost to produce a Wii console that can play DVD movies, CD music, and MP3 music? Again, you don't have to answer because we both know.

Anyway, setting all that aside, I don't agrree with pirating media content. I'm a programmer myself so I know how it feels. I don't download content unless I just can't find it. Aside from the fact that it's illegal and theft, you take your chances on getting a virus. It's not worth it

In any case, I'm a bit of an optimizer in that I don't like having a bunch of equipment to do different things, a bunch of wire, connectors. You know what I mean. To me, the people on this site, including you, have been a big help in the tidyness and organization that I like. My DVD player stopped working and I can't offord a new one right now. So, there is this little white box next to the TV that can take discs so I did some googleing. You know something? I would rather pay more for a Wii with all that capability right out of the box than to have all that other equipment. No not everyone would. So, a Wii and a Wii Plus.

Even setting all that aside, Yes there is recycling but were does much of the thrown out equipment end up? We have to pay to get rid of it when it stops working. Don't kid yourself. I worked in the waste industry for 10 years. You would be surprised at how much recycled material ends up in the ground including stuff that people paid to get rid of. You know what would be really cool? A bio degradable Wii. Then it would be the perfect machine. HA HA.

Anyway, thanks again.
March 03, 2013 05:03AM
MPEG2 video licensing fees are around $2 per unit, I'm not sure off-hand what the costs are for MPEG audio, AC3 and DTS (all of which are required for full DVD support) but they would be similar. Plus there are some weird requirements for DVD playback certification such as mandatory digital audio output which the wii doesn't have hardware for (ironically the gamecube did but didn't have a full size DVD drive), so that would also have to be accounted for. Multiply the total cost by the number of wiis produced and it would be a substantial amount of money. CD support would be another significant increase since it requires a completely different type of laser in the drive.
March 08, 2013 06:38PM
On top of all that, they would have to provide full HDMI support. I guess looking at it from a marketing stand point, as well, $120.00 or so more per unit doesn't seem ridiculous. Especially if they were to give people a choice. It does seem like more money goes to licensing and certification than the actual hardware itself.

Anyway, I’m happy to be able to play DVD movies, videos, games and any other media using one device. My son no longer has to cart his games back and forth when he goes between me and his mother. Makes life simpler.

Again, I don’t agree with downloading/uploading. Setting aside the potential of getting a virus or bricking your Wii, it’s just not worth the time, energy and bandwidth. You get the stuff on Ebay or Amazon for half the going rate. I bought a legit Mario Kart Wii on Ebay for $22.00 including shipping. Nothing to it. Click Click and here in 3 days.
October 11, 2013 11:35AM
Umm... your Wii cannot get infected with a virus, but you can brick your wii.
October 11, 2013 12:30PM
Please stop replying to threads that are months old.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login