Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii LAN

Posted by ninjafish1990 
Wii LAN
February 22, 2009 10:06PM
I was thinking of how the networking actually works for the Wii, when you start an online game it "connects to WFC" which assume equals pinging the Nintendo Servers, so when the Nintendo servers upgrade to the new system the wii online will be gone. But with the Xbox (and possibly PS3, I cannot confirm because I do not own one) it has networking and LAN capabilities, I'm not sure if the Wii does or not, but I don't think it has and LANable games, they all require Internet to start.
So I was thinking A, offline patch, B, something with routers allowing it to mask ping or something of that sort, or an app that allows one to play over a LAN or something. Haven't put much thought into it but, thats as far as I got.
Re: Wii LAN
February 23, 2009 07:09PM
unfortunately no wii games have been released as of yet with a LAN option .. nintendo calls it 'local wifi' , their was a mario strikers and battalion wars demos that had it and it was used at a german game conference .. both final games had this removed in favor of ninty's dumb friend code crap.

if we could use xlink to tunnel a wii LAN game (when one exists) and play online with no friend codes it would rule!!

edit: also just found this article..

[www.nintendoworldreport.com]

where it says that High Voltage tried to get LAN multiplayer running, but Nintendo would not allow it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 07:22PM by sunnytimes.
February 23, 2009 09:41PM
I used Xlink for Xbox once just to try it, but thats internet related (at least when I used it, it was.) When I go to my friends house (not for LAN party) they hook their 360's together and we want to hook out Wii's together, good job again Nintendo!
May 04, 2009 07:34AM
This was mentioned in other posts but just for conformity:
When the next gen console comes out the WFC for wii will most likely be dropped making multiplayer useless unless multiple people are on the same Wii. However at least with LAN capabilities we can have LAN multiplayer with more then 4 people and open up things like Xlink and Hamachi.
May 04, 2009 02:47PM
ninjafish1990
the WFC for wii will most likely be dropped

How is this likely?
May 05, 2009 05:20AM
Look at the original X-box Internet access, it is gone, to force you to buy the 360, which every company does.
May 05, 2009 12:53PM
ninjafish1990
Look at the original X-box Internet access, it is gone,

since when?
I used it last year.
May 06, 2009 01:20AM
As for now it is, I stand corrected, however sony have discontinued support and so has sega ( in the past) that is the way things work, it is an excellent marketing ploy.
May 06, 2009 04:05AM
ninjafish1990
As for now it is, I stand corrected, however sony have discontinued support and so has sega ( in the past) that is the way things work, it is an excellent marketing ploy.

One should see the difference between the infrastructure/design (Xbox live, NWC) and the game's masterservers.
For example EA is notorious for disabling its servers rather early. I guess (!) some of their 360 games even stopped working by now (can somebody check FIFA 06 or Madden 06 ?).

I think it is likely, that Nintendo will stop delivering new maps for SSBB, for example.
But as long as the NWC exists, matchmaking and friendcodes will propably work globally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login