Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

broken video RGB output

Posted by ekeeke 
broken video RGB output
March 08, 2009 08:10PM
Sorry, if that's not the good topic, feel free to move it if it isn't...

I've got a problem with my PAL wii (one year old now):
when using the RGB SCART cable, I got no video output anymore on TV, only sound
the TV indicates it receives a RGB compatible signal but the screen remains black
when I turn the TV intensity to the max I can barely see the System Menu shapes but it's like you had applied a very dark grey filter on the image

Using the default composite cable instead makes the video signal appears normally (however composite has very low quality compared to RGB), which seems to indicate the Video output is not *completely* broken but only the RGB signal part (the Wii Video output indeed carries composite AND rgb signals). The fact that I can somehow see the image shape by turning the intensity to maximum seems to indicate there is a problem on the R,G & B lines which carry color informations...

Anyone with more electronic knowledge or experience could tell me more about that kind of issue ? Could it be fixed by opening the console and checking the video output plug or connections ? I'm not very in the mood of sending the Wii back to Nintendo just for this... warranty period is probably over now and I do not really want to get a homebrew-proof one when it comes back :-)

Before you ask, I already tried this:
- swapping the SCART cable with another one
- plugging the Wii to another TV
No change, friend's Wii works without a problem in same configuration, mine only outputs black video signal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 08:12PM by ekeeke.
Re: broken video RGB output
March 08, 2009 08:32PM
If swapping the SCART cable didnt work, it sounds like you either have two bad SCART cables or the problem is deeper than cable related. Most likely, the hardware device (the GPU?) that outputs video to the composite or SCART cables is partially broken (a short on the side that outputs to SCART cables?). If thats the case, it probably means you have to replace it.

Hope that helps a little. Sorry, I wish I knew my Wiis internal hardware a little better :S But, if I think of anything that could help, I'll let you know.
April 06, 2009 05:10PM
This sounds like the video output chip the RVL one, you can also get a lack of sync fault when this chip blows
April 06, 2009 07:33PM
Did you change the region?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login