Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Downgrade 3.4 to 3.2

Posted by badbob 
Downgrade 3.4 to 3.2
March 11, 2009 03:48AM
Hi I want to downgrade my wii from 3.4 to 3.2.

I have read there are 2 ways.

The first is with IOS16 and a "repair disk".
The second is to use notdvdx.

Which method is safer and easier?
Is there a tutorial for one of this methods?

Greetz
badbob
Re: Downgrade 3.4 to 3.2
March 11, 2009 03:57AM
First of all, messing with the system menu/downgrading is not very safe.
badbob
The first is with IOS16 and a "repair disk".
IOS16 was originally found on a repair disc and it has the fake-signing bug which allows the downgrade. This method is illegal because IOS16 can only be obtained by illegally downloading it since it is only from the official Nintendo repair disc.
badbob
The second is to use notdvdx.
I've never heard of this method, but it could work. I don't think there are any guides for this though.
March 11, 2009 04:19AM
Yes but Firmware Version 3.4 realy sux.
Is there someone who knows about the notdvdx method? Or maybe even an other?
March 11, 2009 05:35AM
how does 3.4 suck? you can run most homebrew with no problems
March 14, 2009 12:57AM
Neither of your "methods" will work.
March 14, 2009 05:58PM
I want to use 3.2E because you can use more Homebrew on it.
The IOS 16 Downgrade works, at least most forums say so.
March 14, 2009 06:13PM
The IOS 16 method isnt quite that simple. Its also very dangerous and illegal. Finally, it doesnt downgrade everything like it claims too. So you will still find some applications to be unusable with firmware that has IOS 16 installed.

So, in short, stop talking about the IOS 16 method or I'll lock this topic.
March 15, 2009 02:16AM
I have a few questions about the 3.4E and the downgrade?

What does a Wad File?
Why can't they installed on 3.4?
Where is the difference between 3.3 and 3.4

One theoretical question about IOS 16 ( i hope you will not lock the thread because of it): What does IOS not downgrade? Which parts of the system aren't downgraded by the IOS 16 hack.
March 15, 2009 03:38AM
badbob
I have a few questions about the 3.4E and the downgrade?
That's not a question?
badbob
What does a Wad File?
A WAD file is an archive format that channels and updates are contained in.
badbob
Why can't they installed on 3.4?
3.4 blocks installations of 'fake-signed' content (i.e. WAD rips of VC/WiiWare)
badbob
Where is the difference between 3.3 and 3.4
3.4 blocks the old Twilight Hack
badbob
What does IOS not downgrade? Which parts of the system aren't downgraded by the IOS 16 hack.
It doesn't downgrade any new IOS versions, it downgrades the System Menu and installs a cIOS so you can install WADs. [I'm not entirely sure about this]

It is illegal and most homebrew that requires downgrading is illegal or does something illegal. (Warez loaders)
March 15, 2009 01:03PM
Installing IOS 16 doesnt downgrade anything. You merely install an IOS with the fakesigning bug. Wanky's downgrader which needs IOS 16 (installed on 3.4)doesnt downgrade everything like it claims. More specifically, all the downgrader really does is change the firmware number in the wii settings.
March 15, 2009 07:17PM
Ok im curious about technical stuff.

A wad file has to signed by nintendo. Fake signing is the terminating 0 (0x00.... hash) bug, or?
Why can't you with broadway, just write the wad file on the flash? Does starlet checks every file thats written on the flash drive?

I thought the Starlet Code is the ios code. Why can a system menu block wad files?
What does firmware mean? The IOS or the System Menu?

More specifically, all the downgrader really does is change the firmware number in the wii settings.
The System Menu is still 3.4E after downgrading? Sure? You have to get for this hack the 3.2 file of the system menu.

The IOS 16 WAD works because its signed by nintendo or? Its a SHA1 hash, or? Can't you try to find a collision to sign your own wads?
March 15, 2009 07:28PM
The system menu doesn't block the WADs, the IOS does. Since, on 3.4, the IOSs don't have the fake-signing bug, they don't allow fake-signed content to be installed. The Wii doesn't really have a firmware, it's a bunch of IOSs and the System Menu. The downgrader downgrades the sytem menu to 3.2, but not the IOSs. Yes IOS 16 installs because it is officially signed by Nintendo and no Wiis currently would have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 07:29PM by bg4545.
March 15, 2009 07:49PM
What do you mean with "install"? Writing data to the flash disk? We can't overwrite the existing ios, which gets started from boot1? The fake signing bug is in boot1 or?

The downgrader downgrades the sytem menu to 3.2, but not the IOSs

I thought the downgrader installs the IOS 16. And from IOS 16 you can install a custom IOS. And from the custom IOS, you install the 3.2 system menu. Why do you think that the downgrade does not downgrade the IOS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 07:49PM by badbob.
March 15, 2009 07:59PM
By 'install' I mean installing to the Wii's NAND as a channel for the System Menu (WADs for VC/WiiWare/Homebrew). You install IOS 16 yourself with WAD manager and then run the downgrader which uses IOS 16 to install a cIOS (with fake signatures), and that lets you install the System Menu. It doesn't downgrade IOSs because it is not needed to install WADs. Once you have the cIOS, you can use it to install WADs.
March 15, 2009 08:13PM
Simply put, IOS 16 puts an old bug back on your wii. You use that bug to replace your IOSs with cIOSs (custom IOSs). Once everything is a cIOS you run the downgrader. No one is really sure what the downgrader does. After running it, all you'll get is a lower firmware number and the ability to install pirated channels again. Apps like patchmii and the bootchecker still wont work and you still wont be able to use apps to reboot the system menu with hooks anymore.
March 15, 2009 08:24PM
Ok its a technicall question:

When I write IOS 16 to the NAND Flash, how it is saved? Why does it not replace the actual ios with itself?

I mean if I got windows on my pc and install linux, windows is away (when its on the same partition).
March 15, 2009 08:29PM
There's different IOSs, not just one. When you install IOS 16 it goes with all the other IOSs
March 15, 2009 08:36PM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me :).

Is there a documentation about the file system and the boot of the wii? How does the wii "know" which ios it should boot? In Linux you can choose which kernel you want? Does the Wii take the highest IOS Version?
March 15, 2009 08:39PM
IOS 16 doesnt replace other IOSs because it is saved to a unique address in the NAND. Some IOSs do overwrite other IOSs though like the dummy IOS that breaks cIOS installation by overwriting IOS 32.
March 15, 2009 09:12PM
Ok do you know how the wii decides which is the booting IOS? Is it the newest, the highest version etc?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login