Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew game idea...

Posted by bg4m3r 
Homebrew game idea...
March 20, 2009 07:11PM
I know I'm probably the last person that should be bringing up new things to make for the Wii, but this idea came to me and I don't think I'd be too hard to code as the base game is fairly simple. I would do it myself, if I had even a grain of programming capability to build off of, but I don't; I really need to go back to school and fix that problem. Anyway, the game I had in mind is Settlers of Catan and its two expansions. For those who don't know, although I would bet that a lot of you do, here's a link to the wiki. It's really popular, in the right circles, and has several online java versions, but I thought a Wii native port would be cool. I have the full set and could possibly provide scans of pieces and cards if someone wanted to pick this up. The only tricky part I could think of would be keeping development cards hidden from other players...if only there was some way to output it that part to a DS or something...anyway...say I wanted to give this a shot, how hard would it be to learn the language?

Please, no one consider this a specific request...I just thought I'd throw the idea out there in the event someone was looking for something new to make!
Re: Homebrew game idea...
March 20, 2009 07:34PM
I'd love to see it happen.
March 20, 2009 11:56PM
I don't feel like reading wikipedia right now... Could someone give me a brief summary.
March 21, 2009 01:52AM
I just looked at the pictures...
March 21, 2009 05:47AM
ninjafish1990
I just looked at the pictures...

LOL thats what i did! It looks like some sort of board game...
March 21, 2009 02:14PM
If I remember correctly, the goal is to take a group of settlers from point A to point B. Along the way you make choices such as how much water do you take via clothing. Do you upgrade your wagon or buy more food? Stuff like that. (I played this looooooong time ago BTW)
March 30, 2009 05:16AM
In a nutshell, the game board is comprised of hex tiles, representing resources, randomly arranged at the start of the game. Players start with 2 villages and 2 roads placed anywhere. You win by building your settlements until you get 10 points by using resources, acquired during each players turn, to build additional villages (1 point), cities (2 points), and other stuff (longest road award is 2 points, largest army is 2 points; these both move to the player who currently posses the largest, or longest). You can trade resources with other players, or exchange with the 'bank' at ports (the game takes place on an island). It's like Monopoly meets Risk, without the war (largest army is won by collecting Soldier Cards, which let you move the thief piece, which blocks a tile from producing resources, you don't actually attack anyone). There are other cards that give automatic points (like the Library card, worth 1 point). You get resources depending on where you build (each tile is assigned a random number and players roll dice at the start of their turn; the number of the roll indicates which tiles give resources to whoever has a structure on that tile). That's the jist of the basic game. The addons add even more aspects and factors (barbarian raids, Metropolis's, etc)

I think you're thinking of Oregon Trail Arikado! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 05:19AM by bg4m3r.
March 30, 2009 06:54AM
bg4m3r
I have the full set and could possibly provide scans of pieces and cards if someone wanted to pick this up.

I do not know, whether it is legal to develop a game, that has exactly the same rules, but it is definitly illegla to "copy" the cards and pieces.
March 30, 2009 02:47PM
daniel_c_w
bg4m3r
I have the full set and could possibly provide scans of pieces and cards if someone wanted to pick this up.

I do not know, whether it is legal to develop a game, that has exactly the same rules, but it is definitly illegla to "copy" the cards and pieces.
Well, whatever, that's cool...just that's about the only thing I could provide it the project...there are several java and PC renditions of the game that have the exact rules and use the same graphics...anyway, I wasn't trying to imply illegal practices should be taken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login