Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about Homebrew

Posted by Haero 
Questions about Homebrew
January 26, 2010 05:52PM
I got official system firmware 4.2E and I want to get the Homebrew channel and also want to ask some questions.

1. Some people says that in the version 4.2 you cant get the homebrew channel. Can you?
2. Is there some way my wii will stop working or something like that?
3. If I have this Homebrew channel and then update my official firmware can anything happen then?
4. I have heard that you have to turn off the wiiconnection24 when installing the channel, do you?
5. If I download a wii game via internet, can I play it online?
6. Can i play online in like mario kart when I have the Homwbrew channel? Can Nintendo see that I am using it when I am connected?
Re: Questions about Homebrew
January 26, 2010 06:41PM
1.) Yes.
2.) If you turn off your power while you update, or install things without knowing what you're doing, yes.
3.) No.
4.) No.
5.) Backups aren't supported here. Read the rules.
6.) Yes, you can play online. However, if you cheat online, you can get banned.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask! :D

I am curious, though. Where did you hear all of these bogus facts?
January 26, 2010 07:30PM
I have heard from somewhere that Nintendo found out about someone using homebrew and then broke their wii from inside. After that Nintendo almost got sued because damaging others property. I think that fact is incorrect but I just had to ask ;) Thanks alot for the help! I realy appreciate it.
January 26, 2010 11:44PM
That's a serious fudging of some stuff that has been talked about.

It has been said that if Nintendo intentionally bricked a Wii, they could be sued.
January 27, 2010 12:57AM
Haero
I got official system firmware 4.2E and I want to get the Homebrew channel and also want to ask some questions.

1. Some people says that in the version 4.2 you cant get the homebrew channel. Can you?
2. Is there some way my wii will stop working or something like that?
3. If I have this Homebrew channel and then update my official firmware can anything happen then?
4. I have heard that you have to turn off the wiiconnection24 when installing the channel, do you?
5. If I download a wii game via internet, can I play it online?
6. Can i play online in like mario kart when I have the Homwbrew channel? Can Nintendo see that I am using it when I am connected?

If you wanted to go to the wiishop channel, and download one of there wiiware games, that you can buy for wii points, then wiishop downloads it to your wii and you can play that way, I have some wiiwares games the previous owner of my wii that they paid for and downloaded from nintendo.
January 27, 2010 01:25AM
It's against the law for the manufacturer to intentionally cause harm to their products because of a modification. There's NO WAY Nintendo would know you have the Homebrew Channel unless you either tell them you have it or you send it in for repairs. If the latter, all they will do is send you a brand new system with your other data to you and charge you for the repairs, even if in warranty.

In short, if Nintendo does brick your Wii because of the Homebrew Channel, you can sue them, and they would HAVE to repair/replace all affected Wiis for free.
January 27, 2010 02:45AM
Well, so far they have gotten away with the 003 error on region changed Korean wiis. How do we know that they won't brick wiis with other modifications in the future?
January 27, 2010 08:17AM
jbc007
Well, so far they have gotten away with the 003 error on region changed Korean wiis. How do we know that they won't brick wiis with other modifications in the future?
That wasn't intentional on their part. It was just a side effect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 08:33PM by bg4545.
January 27, 2010 03:40PM
I have just oen question more. To get the homebrew channel for 4.2E all you need is:
A wii
This card [site.colordrives.com]
and being able to put the card in the computer?

Thanks in advance!
January 27, 2010 06:47PM
bg4545
jbc007
That wasn't intentional on there part. It was just a side effect.

It seems that it actually was intentional. The 003 error only happens if IOS 70 detects the Korean key. If the Korean key is deleted or IOS 60 is installed to the IOS 70 slot, system menu 4.2 e/u/j will work normally on a region changed Korean wii.
January 27, 2010 08:04PM
bg4545
jbc007
That wasn't intentional on there part. It was just a side effect.

You sure about that? What were they trying to do then?
January 27, 2010 08:21PM
I thought it just happened because the Korean key is present, I didn't think they intentionally looked for it and caused the error if it's found.
January 27, 2010 08:42PM
No, before there was no code to check, they actively added code to IOS70 and System Menu 4.2 (the code in 4.2 calls the code in IOS70, if its not in IOS70 it ignores it, hence having IOS60 in its place works) to check for the Korean key and display Error 003 if it was found on USA, Japan or PAL System Menu.
January 27, 2010 10:20PM
Haero
I have just oen question more. To get the homebrew channel for 4.2E all you need is:
A wii
This card [site.colordrives.com]
and being able to put the card in the computer?

Thanks in advance!
Yes. :)
January 28, 2010 11:18PM
4.3 could actually fix that workaround if Nintendo decided to make it trigger an 003 error if the call returns the "unimplemented handle". The workaround works because the system menu only triggers the 003 error if the "not Korean" call returns 0. They stupidly decided not to check for that other value, and thus let people using IOS60 with 4.2 go. Fixing this would brick anybody using a pre-70 IOS with 4.3.

Of course, people would then just patch whatever IOS they have in 4.3's slot to return 0 to that call.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 11:21PM by WikiFSX.
February 01, 2010 04:35PM
do not forget.

if i buy a machine, it belongs t ome and i can do whatever i want with it.

Would a supplier sue me for standing on my WII? NO
Would a supplier sue me for using a hammer on my WII, NO

etc
etc
so if i change anything i can as the machine is mine i legally bought it.

if i step on it and it breaks down nintendo is happier as they sell another one to me.
but if i change things on it offcourse they are not happy, find your middle part and decide what you do.

Same as DVD players, if not region free i make it region free, it belongs to me so i can do whatever i want with it.

micmicbee
February 22, 2010 05:45AM
well I have a wii with 3.1 but i can't find the right files for the hack please help me out thank you all
February 22, 2010 06:23AM
joeey2k
well I have a wii with 3.1 but i can't find the right files for the hack please help me out thank you all
Next time, make your own topic please.

First of all, you need to update your wii. Go to the wii settings, and select the update system option. Once that's done, follow this tutorial.

[www.wiibrew.org]

If you still need help after reading that tutorial, then feel free to ask. :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 06:24AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
February 22, 2010 08:29PM
You actually don't need to update, but you can if you want to.
February 23, 2010 04:39AM
than what files do I need because when I update my other wii from 4.1 to 4.2 boy it kill my wii
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login