Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tool to move WiiWare / VC games between consoles?

Posted by Izhido 
Tool to move WiiWare / VC games between consoles?
January 18, 2011 03:07PM
Hello, everybody!

Just a few days ago, I finally bought a black Wii, to accompany a new 42" LCD I also just bought.

As part of this process, I would like to move some newly purchased WiiWare (and VC) games to this new console. The decision to get a new Wii was actually last-minute, so I couldn't plan not buying them in the old console to wait for the new one.

I *know* Nintendo won't let me do this, of course (... I think?). Do you guys know of any tools you can use to permanently move games (and savegame data) to a new console?

NOTE: Yes, I know I'm treading on thin ice on this one request. In all honesty, if you simply tell me "no, you're screwed, buy more point cards & get your games again" I will accept it without discussion.
Re: Tool to move WiiWare / VC games between consoles?
January 18, 2011 09:11PM
There is no way to do it that we condone in any way here. The only possible method breaks the terms of the Wii Shop Channel to which you agreed when you signed up for it, and is therefore illegal. So we will not help you do that. I am very sorry. I hope you didn't have too many games you wanted to transfer. Sadly Nintendo don't let you transfer your purchases between consoles. A shame, considering both Microsoft and Sony do as far as I know :(
January 18, 2011 09:14PM
You could try to swap the cases of both wii's. But that would void some warranty I guess.
February 14, 2011 05:31AM
SifJar
There is no way to do it that we condone in any way here. The only possible method breaks the terms of the Wii Shop Channel to which you agreed when you signed up for it, and is therefore illegal. So we will not help you do that. I am very sorry. I hope you didn't have too many games you wanted to transfer. Sadly Nintendo don't let you transfer your purchases between consoles. A shame, considering both Microsoft and Sony do as far as I know :(

Yes they do, you have to call them.

@OP, call Nintendo. If you live in America the number is: 1-800-255-3700. They transferred my account to my new Wii, just explain the situation to them. Also, if you have a Club Nintendo account and it's linked to the shop be sure to tell them about it.
February 14, 2011 11:17PM
Interesting. Didn't know they'd do that.
March 23, 2011 05:24AM
So can this transfer be done remotely, thru some sort of VNC by Nintendo, or does Nintendo physically need to have both your consoles at a repair service center?

If I have my Wii linked with my Nintendo Club account, does that make it easier?

I have avoided buying WiiWare because I have a general dislike of non-portable software. I'm a big believer in physical media. I did buy my kids Pokemon Rumble, and I would very much like to buy LIT, And Yet It Moves, and Bomberman Blast, but the idea of sinking large sums of cash into software that could disappear in a blink of an eye turns my stomach. I have avoided some of this, by buying the PC versions (like World of Goo), but I really like sitting my lazy butt on the couch to play games, and would be more likely to buy games that I felt like I wouldn't lose.
March 23, 2011 04:44PM
I think the transfer switches which wii is linked to your account. Then that should allow the other wii to re-download anything bought from the shop channel without having to buy it. As for the saved games, stats and settings on the old console you are pretty much screwed (unless they do that as well). I've had my wii fro like 3 years and I dread the day that it will die and force me to start over fresh :(

@DonsSword true and I think so too, DLC is evil! I bought Bit Trip Runner And mario brothers 1, could not resist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login