Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broadband adapter

Posted by cuber 
Broadband adapter
September 04, 2008 01:16AM
I know it was hardly ever used.. but me, being a fan of PSO, was disapointed at being unable to connect using my wii.
I was wondering if it was possible for some kind of app to boot the game and make it think the wireless is the BB adapter, it sounds unlikely to be possible... but I thought I'd bring it up.

It'd also be good for the few lan games.
Re: Broadband adapter
September 04, 2008 12:33PM
well there is a ethernet adapter for the wii that you can use via usb but im sure that maybe is possible but the pso emulator is far from being online capable
September 10, 2008 04:00AM
I wonder if an MIOS hack can do this. The way I understand it MIOS should still have access to all the Wii hardware while the game is running in GC mode. It might be necessary to hack the game to communicate with MIOS instead of the BBA though.
September 11, 2008 11:50AM
Apparently they are going to integrate networking into the psx emulator

Emu_Kidid
> PCSX was recently updated with Network Play. Do you plan on implementing this feature?

Yes, we plan to add Network Play to PCSX after all the other major parts of it are complete and full speed. Net play will work through traditional wireless on the Wii and also on Gamecube throughout the BBA (and possibly through the USBGecko).
September 13, 2008 02:28AM
That's running in Wii mode though; it's not really relevant.
September 16, 2008 03:02AM
Couldn't you just make a small hack on the wii to make it connect to your computer then reroute the connection to your server?
September 16, 2008 06:24AM
HyperHacker

Were talking about wii homebrew not gamecube homebrew so yes it would run in wii mode.

Igglyboo
Couldn't you just make a small hack on the wii to make it connect to your computer then reroute the connection to your server?

The emulator would be able to use both the wireless adapter and usb broadband adapter you wouldn't need to connect it to your computer it would just go thru the internet directly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 06:33AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
September 16, 2008 08:53PM
Link_of_Hyrule
HyperHacker

Were talking about wii homebrew not gamecube homebrew so yes it would run in wii mode.

Igglyboo

The emulator would be able to use both the wireless adapter and usb broadband adapter you wouldn't need to connect it to your computer it would just go thru the internet directly.

I though he meant the PSO for gamecube which uses the broadband adapter.
September 21, 2008 06:53PM
Yes, Cuber mentioned the LAN games, thus he was clearly talking about GCN mode, as there are no Wii LAN games.

Anyway, yeah, I would love to see a hacked MIOS which emulates the BBA. I play Mario Kart DD in LAN mode every couple days (it's so fun to have 7 friends who live nearby and like MKDD), and that's the only thing keeping me from replacing at least one of my GameCubes with a Wii. Can anyone comment on how hard it would be to patch MIOS to emulate the BBA?
September 22, 2008 08:56PM
Yea i would also love this, i cant find a bb adapter for my GC and the one i had broke.
September 23, 2008 12:03PM
Agreed. I think Nintendo took a step backwards in not supporting BBA emulation in gamecube mode even if there weren't a whole tone of games that supported network/internet connectivity on the cube. It would be nice to at least see an unofficial Team Twiizers hack for this, but would be a nice xmas present of Ninty could make it an official system update.
September 23, 2008 03:37PM
I think we'd see some sort of Wiimote support for GC mode before we saw BBA emulation in MIOS. It's just not that sophisticated.
September 23, 2008 05:47PM
BBA communication is done by accessing I/O registers, I assume? We would have to use the MMU to trap those accesses and emulate the registers. However considering all games use Nintendo's devkit, and so few even use the BBA, it would probably be more feasible to automatically find and patch the BBA routines. They should be part of the SDK and thus similar or identical in every game. This wouldn't help with homebrew/GCNRD, but those could be updated to support IOS communication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 05:47PM by HyperHacker.
September 23, 2008 10:00PM
HyperHacker
BBA communication is done by accessing I/O registers, I assume? We would have to use the MMU to trap those accesses and emulate the registers. However considering all games use Nintendo's devkit, and so few even use the BBA, it would probably be more feasible to automatically find and patch the BBA routines. They should be part of the SDK and thus similar or identical in every game. This wouldn't help with homebrew/GCNRD, but those could be updated to support IOS communication.
If I remember correctly, Nintendo's devkit doesn't include BBA routines. Nintendo developed BBA routines for its LAN games, but Sega developed their own for PSO. Thus, PSO would require different patches from the LAN games. Not sure where I heard this, I think it was discussed at the Warp Pipe forums years ago.

That said, it probably wouldn't be too hard to find and patch the BBA routines anyway, so that would be awesome if someone did it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login