Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Pokedex

Posted by AerialX 
Wii Pokedex
September 07, 2008 06:01PM
Well I was playing mah pokemanz yesterday and wanted a pokedex... They're useful. I can never remember type advantages, what types certain pokemon are, etc. And checking level up moves and such helps.

Anyway, the point is that it's all a hassle. If you have one of the official Nintendo guides, it takes a lot of page flipping and they don't even document everyone anyway. If you use an online one like Serebii.net, it's nice, but not too interactive and intuitive.

I guess I just want something simple. Something quick and easy to check things with. The point isn't to have something as extremely comprehensive as Serebii but have anything you'd ever need to know when playing the game at your fingertips.

Sooo, stupid idea or what?
Re: Wii Pokedex
September 07, 2008 06:36PM
It doesn't have to be on the Wii. Someone could just make it for the PC!
September 07, 2008 06:42PM
Meh, that was my first thought. I'm just often playing around my Wii rather than my computer :P

Plus, you could really say that about anything made for the Wii. Why have a web browser when you can browse the web with your PC?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2008 06:51PM by AerialX.
September 07, 2008 11:43PM
Oh I like this idea ^_^
September 07, 2008 11:57PM
Ds connectivity?
September 08, 2008 12:39AM
Arikado: As awesome as that would be, it would be pretty tough. If anything with the DS, the best I could probably do is have the DS send your D/P save over to the Wii (similar to savsender) and do something with it (Pokemon Box for Wii?), but that would require the ability to launch homebrew on the Wii, so either by FlashMe or a flash card. Communicating with the official game while not knowing the protocol would be a pain (plus have DS-Wii direct wireless communication even been researched yet?).
September 08, 2008 01:15PM
ummmm isnt there a pokedex in the game?
September 08, 2008 01:25PM
Have you played the game? Its pokedex is next to useless (the only useful info is the map of where each pokemon can be found).
September 08, 2008 01:37PM
I wouldn't imagine this being too difficult. I think the hardest part of this will be all the data entry
September 08, 2008 01:45PM
Data entry would be the easiest part, create a pokemon class then inherit from it, they all have members in common, name, element, etc.
September 08, 2008 01:58PM
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of SQLite for data storage (I have no write support, but that's okay for this purpose). I'd make a PC app that grabs data from serebii.net or something and parses it into an SQLite database, then the Wii reads it.

It'd be a quick way to, for example, use an SQL query to get all FIRE pokemon.
September 08, 2008 06:47PM
WiiPhlex
Data entry would be the easiest part, create a pokemon class then inherit from it, they all have members in common, name, element, etc.

I didn't mean in terms of complexity, rather the shear quantity. Wiki has the Pokemon count up to 493...If AerialX's cataloging evolution chains, allowed attacks, level statistics etc. there's a lot to type in.

That said, once the file format is laid out, if you made the app cross platform with an editor, you could get the Pokemon community to assist with data entry :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login