Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stereo output reversed

Posted by Tansunn 
Stereo output reversed
June 29, 2009 07:14PM
I'm not sure what's causing this, but for some reason, whenever I play any homebrew software, the left and right audio outputs are swapped. It will be just fine in a normal Wii game, but when I load up some homebrew (Quake, Doom, MPlayer CE, SNES9x, just to name a few) I have to swap the red and white cables to get the sound oriented properly. I play with headphones, so the effect is really noticeable.

I'm currently using Homebrew Channel 1.0.3 on a System 4.0 Wii. I find it strange not only that this issue occurs solely with homebrew, but that it affects it on such a large scale. Has anybody else encountered this issue?
Re: Stereo output reversed
June 30, 2009 02:55AM
Maybe the sound from that homebrew applications is always wrong and you are the first to notice :D
June 30, 2009 03:40AM
Maybe you wear your headphones backwards.
June 30, 2009 04:42AM
@MattMan - Nope, they're an in-ear set that only fits one way, and it's not like I'd constantly make that mistake only while doing homebrew.

Also, it's starting to look like it may have been an error in the original compiler because I updated some of my software and the problem was fixed in some of them. MPlayer CE and WiiDoom still have reversed stereo, though, even after being updated to the latest version.

(Lesson learned - make sure software is up to date before commenting on it.)
June 30, 2009 09:39AM
This is probably because the Wii expects the stereo channels in reverse order than usual - RL instead of LR. Snes9x GX and VBA GX therefore reverse the channels (properly) so that the sound isn't inverted.

It's likely other homebrew apps don't do this.
June 30, 2009 04:37PM
@Tantric - Thanks for that bit of info. That would explain why it was such a widespread problem, since it would probably be easy to miss that if someone was doing just a quick port of some software to the Wii. Good to know that at least the issue is known.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login