Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

annoying...

Posted by pzyr0 
annoying...
October 04, 2008 09:55PM
ok, there are several apps with USB support, yet the homebrew channel forces us to boot from crappy, overpriced SD cards. Are they ever going to implement USB support? then i could just wack in a cheapo USB stick with all my apps on and not have to fork out loads of cash if I lose my SD card.
Re: annoying...
October 04, 2008 10:21PM
Don't know where you're getting your SD cards from, but on Amazon, a 2Gb SD card is cheaper than a 2Gb USB pen.

But yes, USB support would be nice, especially to store all those SCUMM games on :-) (although I appreciate, that'd be more down to SCUMMVM having USB support)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2008 10:23PM by whodares.
October 05, 2008 08:20AM
We force you to do what now?
October 06, 2008 01:42AM
pzyr0
ok, there are several apps with USB support, yet the homebrew channel forces us to boot from crappy, overpriced SD cards. Are they ever going to implement USB support? then i could just wack in a cheapo USB stick with all my apps on and not have to fork out loads of cash if I lose my SD card.

Puh..lease, I can get a 2GB SD card cheaper than a 1GB USB flash drive. Also if you lose an SD card its because your careless. I keep my SD cards in a small case right next to my Wii so I never lose them.

And plus SD cards load faster than USB flash drives.

bushing
We force you to do what now?

Don't listen too him, just keep up the good work.

The Homebrew Channel is perfect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 01:44AM by GoldenAlchemist.
October 06, 2008 02:29AM
A 2GB microSD card costs I believe $7 at the Micro Center near me. A USB drive costs about the same thing - but that won't fit in my phone. Okay, maybe sharing an SD card with one's phone isn't important for most people. Then, how about the ability to have everything for your Wii on one storage device? The Wii its self uses the SD card for storage, Ocarina uses the SD card for storage, Savegame/Mii Extractor uses the SD card for storage - but yeah, why don't we make it so the Homebrew channel alone uses something different?

EDIT: Though I must say, it could improve in one area - connectivity. It doesn't matter if my Wii and host computer are both solidly connected to Wi-Fi; if I so much as look at the Wii wrong (which is apparently 90% of the time), it won't receive the .dol file being sent from SendElf. Either one or both programs are in desperate need of the ability to re-attempt data sending. Preferably with a default option of retrying until the end of time, with a dialog box to cancel if necessary (like in the case of "Oops, wrong IP address"). Granted, in the overall scheme of things it's not that big a deal - I'm just frustrated right now because it's more efficient for me to actually place the.dol on the SD card after every compile than it is to send over Wi-Fi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2008 01:41PM by DigitalMan.
October 11, 2008 07:01PM
I don't see why this wouldn't work, as we already have emulators that load ROMs off of USB drives. Why not DOL files?
October 12, 2008 02:08AM
Well SD cards are cheaper, faster, and more efficient than USB flash drives.

Also I don't have wifi so if the Homebrew Channel were to have an update available I would not be able to update it.
October 14, 2008 09:07AM
quit fussing, 2 gigabytes are less than 10 dollars..
October 14, 2008 04:24PM
DigitalMan
A 2GB microSD card costs I believe $7 at the Micro Center near me. A USB drive costs about the same thing - but that won't fit in my phone. Okay, maybe sharing an SD card with one's phone isn't important for most people. Then, how about the ability to have everything for your Wii on one storage device? The Wii its self uses the SD card for storage, Ocarina uses the SD card for storage, Savegame/Mii Extractor uses the SD card for storage - but yeah, why don't we make it so the Homebrew channel alone uses something different?

EDIT: Though I must say, it could improve in one area - connectivity. It doesn't matter if my Wii and host computer are both solidly connected to Wi-Fi; if I so much as look at the Wii wrong (which is apparently 90% of the time), it won't receive the .dol file being sent from SendElf. Either one or both programs are in desperate need of the ability to re-attempt data sending. Preferably with a default option of retrying until the end of time, with a dialog box to cancel if necessary (like in the case of "Oops, wrong IP address"). Granted, in the overall scheme of things it's not that big a deal - I'm just frustrated right now because it's more efficient for me to actually place the.dol on the SD card after every compile than it is to send over Wi-Fi.

Network stability is a sore point for me, too, and one in which I might be able to make a difference. Do you have a reproducible set of tests that cause things to fail, so I can try to recreate your setup locally?
October 14, 2008 05:49PM
bushing
Network stability is a sore point for me, too, and one in which I might be able to make a difference. Do you have a reproducible set of tests that cause things to fail, so I can try to recreate your setup locally?

Yes, actually - it fails whenever my girlfriend is in the room :P I kid you not. Not exactly easy to reproduce, though, and sometimes it happens otherwise as well.

Given that my computer has a very strong signal, and the Wii is nearby (though not to a degree that would cause interference), it's very odd indeed. I haven't looked at the code, but I theorize that the Homebrew Channel and/or the PC-based file senders lack some sort of error-check/retry code. This seems most likely, because even in low-reception areas a web browser doesn't show pages missing sentences, or completely fail to connect (okay, failing to connect sometimes happens, more often for some people, but still). I wonder if something like the Firefox source code, or a P2P client code, could provide some algorithm to help.
October 14, 2008 10:06PM
GoldenAlchemist

Don't listen too him, just keep up the good work.

The Homebrew Channel is perfect.

I wouldn't call it perfect but pretty darn close.
bushing
Hmm... I never have an issue for connectivity. I use a WEP password protect (not very secure but better than nothing). Though a wi-fi support tpost belongs somewhere else maybe if we gett a list together of all working and non-working on the wiki we can narrow it down.
October 15, 2008 04:25AM
DigitalMan
Given that my computer has a very strong signal, and the Wii is nearby (though not to a degree that would cause interference), it's very odd indeed.

Are you using your computer as a WLAN access point? (for example by using Nintendos USB Stick)

Usually WLAN-devices communicate via an access point, i.e.: WLAN-routers, hotspots, etc.
So it is not important that your Wii is close to the Computer, but that it can recieve the access point very well.
October 15, 2008 07:09AM
DigitalMan
bushing

Yes, actually - it fails whenever my girlfriend is in the room :P I kid you not. Not exactly easy to reproduce, though, and sometimes it happens otherwise as well.
Metal jewellery and/or cell phone interference? :P
October 15, 2008 11:40AM
daniel_c_w
So it is not important that your Wii is close to the Computer, but that it can recieve the access point very well.

Yes, I'm just saying that, because it's near a device that has good reception, it likely has good reception as well (ie. not out of range, no additional walls in the way, etc.)

Also, the network here has no security enabled at all, because the nearest houses/road are definitely far out of range.
October 15, 2008 10:27PM
DigitalMan
daniel_c_w

Yes, I'm just saying that, because it's near a device that has good reception, it likely has good reception as well (ie. not out of range, no additional walls in the way, etc.)

Oh. I did not think about that. That's smart :D

btw:
Did anybody test the quality of the Wii's WLAN?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login