Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nintendo has released System Menu 4.1 in Japan.

Posted by SpyroDragon 
Nintendo has released System Menu 4.1 in Japan.
July 05, 2009 09:34AM

3 July 09: Nintendo has released System Menu 4.1 in Japan. The usual warnings apply, updating is not recommended until more information is known about its effects on homebrew. Bannerbomb is still working! You may check updates via Wiimpersonator logs.

[wiibrew.org]
[wii.marcansoft.com]

As there is no thread about this yet, I decided to make one.

Is there any information about the possible effects on homebrew yet?

Are users of 4.0 in danger to have their system updated automaticly, as of the the EULA change, once 4.1 becomes available for US / EU Wii's?
Re: Nintendo has released System Menu 4.1 in Japan.
July 05, 2009 09:38AM
It looks like no IOS were changed. I will Try downloading the other channel from NUS downloader
July 05, 2009 04:49PM
4.1 seems to be a bugfix release regarding a specific issue with Wii Sports Resort. Seeing as they can't "patch" the already pressed to fix the game, a System update is the only option.

Considering that Wii Sports Resort will release at a later date outside of Japan, there might still be time to address the issue in the game itself (on the discs) rather then have to also update the System Menu for other regions.

I would imagine that changing a single game (less risky) vs changing the System Menu (more risky) is preferable to Nintendo as it's less intrusive with less potential to go wrong. That being said, if the problem is solely the fault of the System Menu, then fixing the "bug" via the game itself might not be an option. And so a 4.1 update would be needed for all regions.

Only time will tell I guess
July 05, 2009 04:52PM
ahnold11
4.1 seems to be a bugfix release regarding a specific issue with Wii Sports Resort. Seeing as they can't "patch" the already pressed to fix the game, a System update is the only option.

It looks like only the systme menu and another title were updated. what has the system menu got to do with this?
July 05, 2009 05:10PM
ahnold11
Seeing as they can't "patch" the already pressed to fix the game, a System update is the only option.

Doesn't ocarina do that all the time?

metroid_maniac
It looks like only the systme menu and another title were updated. what has the system menu got to do with this?

It COULD be doing something to initialize the WiiMote/WMP correctly.
July 05, 2009 05:51PM
daniel_c_w
ahnold11
Seeing as they can't "patch" the already pressed to fix the game, a System update is the only option.

Doesn't ocarina do that all the time?

It patches memory adresses, not game code.
July 05, 2009 07:07PM
This update seems trivial to me. Usually if there is an issue in a game and they have to update the system to compensate most companies would update the other regions to as a safeguard for "the gameplay experience". i agree that there still is time between now and release in other regions but game discs for other regions are already in production I am sure or the Big N would be in big trouble for meeting requirements for pre-sale and release day demand. Who knows, maybe they found an exploit we haven't found that they patched.
July 05, 2009 09:52PM
- The Wii sports Resort issue is an interaction with the game and the System Menu, apparently when you launch a channel off of the SD card, it will interfere with running Wii Sports Resort again.

- With regards to patching, I'm not talking about patching memory or disc images, but rather Nintendo patching the game after it ships (like Xbox, PS3, PC etc). While they could certainly find a way around that, patching disc games on the Wii would be a rather hack-like fix and to my knowledge no games have received "title updates" yet? So since the Wii disc in Japan is already made, they can't change the physical discs ;) But if the other regions discs are not made/shipped yet, it is possible that they can implement a fix.

- if they can't though, then they do a fix through the System Menu. Just like to stop the Twilight hack, they didn't update Zelda itself, but rather the System Menu / Wii Software.

So if the problem is the System Menu misbehaving, then we will likely see an updated System Menu also. However if it's something that can be fixed in the game before the discs go to manufacture, then we might not.
July 06, 2009 11:42AM
ahnold11
- With regards to patching, I'm not talking about patching memory or disc images, but rather Nintendo patching the game after it ships (like Xbox, PS3, PC etc). While they could certainly find a way around that, patching disc games on the Wii would be a rather hack-like fix and to my knowledge no games have received "title updates" yet?

I don't know how the PS3 handles it.
-On the PC and on the Xbox, the whole executable file is usually modified.
-On the Xbox 360, an aplliactaion gets patched in memory a startup time - and basicly, Ocarina can do the same.

So far there seems to be no infrastructure for either way.

Perhaps System Menu 4.1 changed that.
July 14, 2009 07:02PM
well i for one dont want to update for the fact that my system menu patches wont work any more :( well i guess someone could update startpatch for 4.1?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login