Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can BootMii, WiiBrickBlocker, Preloader, and Starfall coexist?

Posted by AxDs 
Can BootMii, WiiBrickBlocker, Preloader, and Starfall coexist?
July 25, 2009 03:38AM
yea it's a noobish question, but I won't take chances

Can BootMii, WiiBrickBlocker, Preloader, and Starfall/StartPatch coexist?

i'm afraid that not all of them are supposed to be on the system at once
Re: Can BootMii, WiiBrickBlocker, Preloader, and Starfall coexist?
July 25, 2009 03:43AM
Why do you need all those?
July 25, 2009 01:35PM
well, don't you?

all of them serve a different purpose that could be useful for protecting my wii

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 01:35PM by AxDs.
July 25, 2009 02:00PM
I don't know how WiiBrickblocker works, so I leave it out.

BootMii can coexist with almost everything, because so far it is the only software, that resides in boot2's area, except the original boot2 of course.

StartPatch, Starfall modify the system menu, this only works, as long as the system menu is in place.

Preloader moves the systrem menu away and places itself in the old place.

That means, that StartPatch/Starfall and Preloader can coexist, but it depends on the timeline.
If Preloader is installed (first), StartPatch/Starfall can't find the system menu to patch it.

Preloader can be used to launch/modify the system menu, even if it was patch by starfall before.

But everything StartPatch/Starfall can do, can be done by Preloader as well.
So what's the benefit of using both, esspecially consideriung, that both are risky installs.
July 25, 2009 03:13PM
If you have BootMii boot2 installed, you really don't have any need (or should want) to install anything else. BootMii boot2 will let you recover from all software problems (bricks). The only other thing I could see considering installing would be starpatch for system menu hacks, as it's a better choice then Preloader. But that's still kinda out there in the land of the unnecessary...
July 25, 2009 08:40PM
I've installed bootmii as boot2 and starfall. Everything works fine for me. I haven't installed preloader, though, because it seems kind of useless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2009 08:40PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 27, 2009 05:39AM
Well, preloader can work just like starfall or startpatch, patching the SysMenu, but with the advantage of being not permanently (patching on-the-fly when Wii boots).

But still messes with Wii NAND at instalation, so whatever.
July 30, 2009 12:55PM
My advice would be install BootMii as boot2, then install preloader, as it lets you have system menu hacks and also allows autobooting, and when used in conjunction with WiiCrazy's Crazy Intro and hidenseek, you can choose at boot between System Menu, HBC and four hidden (and therefore legal) channels, which can have whatever homebrew you want in them.
July 30, 2009 03:03PM
Why are channels legal, when they are hidden?
July 30, 2009 04:39PM
daniel_c_w
Why are channels legal, when they are hidden?

Because they don't use banners.
July 30, 2009 07:28PM
But everything else in the channel may be illegal.

Or wasn't it SifJar's intention to say, that a channel is definitly legal, if it is hidden.
July 30, 2009 07:48PM
Well, if the channel is made with hidenseek and has a legal dol, its legal. It uses a custom NAND loader (not sure whose, but not Nintendo's), a .dol file and a file 64 bytes is size full of useless info (can be ANYTHING, provided its 64 bytes). These are then packaged into a WAD and installed. There is no Nintendo code, so its legal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login