Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Removing any trace of homebrews

Posted by DarkRoy 
Removing any trace of homebrews
August 07, 2009 07:23PM
Hello everyone.

My Wii lens is broken and it won't read discs anymore (everything else works perfectly). I'm sure it was caused by my Brawl disc, since my Wii is a Feb '07 one and I read on various sites and forums that dual-layer discs like Brawl tend to ruin the Wii lens (in fact, it started to make a loud noise some months ago, then it got louder, then the lens stopped working, it tries to read discs but it won't work). Since there's nothing to do (and I can't use an external hard-drive thanks to the homebrews for various reasons), I decided to send the Wii to the Nintendo repair centre.

I have had Homebrew Channel for many months; I used it only to play Brawl thanks to Gecko OS. I've never installed DVDX, cIOS, or anything else. I decided to send my Wii in a virgin state so Nintendo can't say anything about homebrews, so I have some questions:

1) Does AnyTitle Deleter remove ANY trace of Wii homebrews? And what do I have to delete, assuming I've only had the HBC and nothing else?
2) I've used the NAND Cleaner some time ago using Bannerbomb, after deleting the HBC. Is it enough, or should I use the AnyTitle Deleter?
3) I've read on the Wiibrew wiki that deleting the HBC using the AnyTitle Deleter may cause "unwanted behaviour". So, how do I delete any trace of the HBC? The only thing I've ever done for deleting traces of the homebrews (I don't have it installed in my Wii at the moment) are "official" HBC delete (going to the Wii Options and then deleting the Channel) and NAND Cleaner. What else should I do?

Thank a lot for your patience. I hope someone can help me.
Re: Removing any trace of homebrews
August 07, 2009 10:07PM
Anytitle deleter deletes ALL trace of whatever you deleted.
August 07, 2009 10:10PM
jus use ATD
August 07, 2009 10:26PM
I'm trying to use it, but it doesn't want to work. It starts saying "Informing Wii that I am God...Error! ES_Identify (ret = -1017)" and then it ends with "Region detect failure, Conf region = 2". I'm using Bannerbomb and Loadmii to load it. What should I do?
August 07, 2009 10:28PM
run AnyRegionChanger. tell me if it gives any errors (eg Sys menu/Region mismatch)
August 07, 2009 10:36PM
Nevermind. I got the ATD to work. The reason why it was't working? I didn't press A *facepalm*

EDIT: I've deleted everything except IOS254. I know it is only used by PatchMii and BootMii and I was impressed by that, because I've never used them at all... then I read that Nintendo released a copy of IOS9 as a IOS254 in the 3.4 update. So, should I keep that?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 11:22PM by DarkRoy.
August 08, 2009 09:11AM
if I were you, I'd delete it.
August 08, 2009 09:21PM
Did it. Thanks everyone :)
August 09, 2009 01:03AM
after i got brawl my wii started making loud noises!
i got mine a few months after it came out is mine at risk?
August 09, 2009 02:30PM
That's the same exact thing that happened to me. I think your lens is starting to break.
August 10, 2009 01:59AM
Is the lens braking problem common with brawl. Nothings happened to mine and I've had Brawl for over a year now, i don't play it that much though.
August 10, 2009 04:33AM
We do not really know what is the issue, but the imho the following facts strongly suggest, that the Wii has a "shitty" drive.
-The drive is from the same manufacturer, that created the GameCubes drive.
-Both make clicking noises
-The Gamecube drives had a bad reputation. Not as well known like the Xbox's RROD, but back in the day I had not hard time to find people who get the default error message
-Brawl is the first (and only?) game to be on a dual layer DVD.
-Some Wiis couldn't read Brawl at all
-Nintendo offers free repairs for that issue
August 10, 2009 07:40PM
You can get buy a replacement DVD drive:
[www.dealextreme.com]
[www.dealextreme.com]
August 12, 2009 08:40PM
Yeah, GC and Wii drives suck pretty much. My GC is broken as well xD

I've sent the Wii yesterday, I hope everything will go fine.
August 12, 2009 10:26PM
did you remove all the traces before you sent it in? (If not let us know if they give you any junk about the homebrew being on there.)
August 13, 2009 11:32AM
I removed everything.
August 22, 2009 10:16AM
My Wii is still in the repair centre... they're so slow x_x
August 27, 2009 12:32AM
They told me I'll have to pay 63€ because it was out of warranty. They didn't say anything about homebrews, so I guess they haven't found out anything.
August 27, 2009 08:24AM
they found homebrew on my Wii and just asked me if it was OK to get rid of it, I'd say homebrew is ok with them, just not pirated stuff
August 27, 2009 12:27PM
Hmmm... they didn't charge you for that? Where do you live (Europe, USA...)?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login