Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does HBC installing (WAD) uses copyrighted Nintendo code?

Posted by Dan_Aykroyd 
Does HBC installing (WAD) uses copyrighted Nintendo code?
October 27, 2008 12:18PM
Well, after asking a simple question about running apps as WAD ("channels") and being called instantly a pirate, what I wonder is, does the installation of the HBC also relies on that Nintendo copyrighted code?

And if so; your logic to support or not the WADs would be "ok... for the HBC... let's just break the law 'a little', BUT don't ever ask about other WADs, you lame-scene-destroyer pirate!"?

And if that's not the case, and the HBC uses a "legal" method for installing, why not use that for every other WAD and be 'legal', thus not being a pirate?

Thanks in advance for your comments
Re: Does HBC installing (WAD) uses copyrighted Nintendo code?
October 27, 2008 12:34PM
The HBC uses legal code made by team tweezers. and they are planning to release it at some point (after bootmii is released i believe) its a python toolchain (or something similar i cant remember...)

but yea... the hbc is legal
October 27, 2008 12:42PM
Installing seems not to be the problem... Since all wads installed using ticket services of the IOS using the trucha exploit. One may get the wad installing/uninstalling code into his program and resulting program can install or uninstall it's channel... No real differences there actually...

I guess they are more talking about the wad file content itself.... especially banner stuff which is still messy at the moment...
So they say homebrew channel (actual channel content (wad file) ) doesn't rely on any nintendo copyrighted material...

More to read about this:

[hackmii.com]
October 27, 2008 01:04PM
I'm with Dan on this one, I'm afraid...

I've seen a number of threads closed off at the hint of the word WAD, and while Team Twiizers have not released their banner tools, I think it's a bit harsh (and naive) to assume nobody else will be able to figure it out and want to make their own. Esp' when there is an article on HackMii describing some of the banner structures.

I understand the want/need to seperate illegal WADs/Banners from homebrew ones, but I sometimes think the mods jump in a bit to fast.
October 27, 2008 01:55PM
In response to the original question, probably not. That said, if Team Twiizers is in the US, they're likely breaking the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA.

In a larger sense, I think it's a bit over the top to get all morally indignant about WAD tools / libraries here. I understand that homebrew in general doesn't want to be associated with piracy, but tools from one will always be used by someone for the other. That's just a consequence of things being open source or openly documented. A "solution" to that would be to make everything completely secret, I suppose, but that would also cause the scene to be much less appealing to developers.
October 27, 2008 03:13PM
how to install wad on the new firmware( 23/10 updated)?

I have the hbc9 and also don't working
October 27, 2008 03:18PM
missigno00
how to install wad on the new firmware( 23/10 updated)?
Wrong thread for this post. This is about legality and copyright.

However, You could read this - [wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 03:22PM by whodares.
October 27, 2008 03:19PM
@missigno00:
It can't be done "as before" because the fakesigning stuff was patched. But the whole point of my previous thread was to ask how HBC beta 9 installs and if that could be used for regular (a.k.a. applications encapsulated in WAD; i.e. Canal WAD Manager, SNESZ Channel, etc.) applications to be installed
October 27, 2008 04:07PM
hmm...thks 4 the answer

but can I downgrade on this verion(3.3 23/10)?
October 27, 2008 05:39PM
What if you used the HBC wad to create your own channel? I know the source hasnt been released for it but I dont think it is copyrighted. Ive seen some walkthroughs on how to make your own channels and the most consist of using some nand dumper to take at least one channel off your wii then editing its contents. Finally I havent done this yet becuase I dont want to brick my wii and have to buy a savemii but after bootmii is released Im going to make some even if marcan doesnt release his banner tools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 05:42PM by linus.
October 27, 2008 06:00PM
linus
What if you used the HBC wad to create your own channel? I know the source hasnt been released for it but I dont think it is copyrighted. Ive seen some walkthroughs on how to make your own channels and the most consist of using some nand dumper to take at least one channel off your wii then editing its contents. Finally I havent done this yet becuase I dont want to brick my wii and have to buy a savemii but after bootmii is released Im going to make some even if marcan doesnt release his banner tools.
You'd end up making channels using the HBC banners.

So, you wouldn't be stealing Nintendo's copyrighted code anymore, but rather that of the HBC authors. Good solution. Rights aren't significant unless you're a large corporation with definite legal power.
October 27, 2008 08:24PM
tona
Rights aren't significant unless you're a large corporation with definite legal power.

wow I meant no offense. sometimes people release things without copyrighting them such as the open source movement. I have never noticed any copyrighting information while using the HBC and I thought it might be unrestricted even though no one has released the source. I was trying to make what seemed like a legitimate suggestion, but if you believe that the authors of the HBC would feel like I was stealing their hard work or infringing on their rights I am sorry.
October 27, 2008 09:34PM
linus
tona
Rights aren't significant unless you're a large corporation with definite legal power.

wow I meant no offense. sometimes people release things without copyrighting them such as the open source movement. I have never noticed any copyrighting information while using the HBC and I thought it might be unrestricted even though no one has released the source. I was trying to make what seemed like a legitimate suggestion, but if you believe that the authors of the HBC would feel like I was stealing their hard work or infringing on their rights I am sorry.

Copyright, at least in the USA, is implicit. You have to explicitly give up your copyright by releasing the item into the public domain. Also, please don't confuse licenses like the GPL with a lack of copyright. The GPL (and similar licenses) actually relies on copyright in order to restrict how such applications can be distributed (but in a way that they feel is beneficial to the community).
October 28, 2008 04:13PM
I'm pretty sure copyright is implicit in any Berne Convention countries, which is pretty much the entire first world.
October 29, 2008 11:02AM
The answer to the question "Does the HBC use any copyrighted Nintendo code?" is "no". If you want to talk about something else, please start a new topic..
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.