Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ogre 3D Graphics Engine Port (Now in Development)

Posted by Link_of_Hyrule 
Ogre 3D Graphics Engine Port (Now in Development)
August 07, 2008 10:52PM
My coder friend Tinte has taken up this project he thinks that he will have most the basics of ogre ported to wii in about a month. He will be releasing a demo to show some of the work that he has done when he is ready.

Tinte
Ogre port

Modules with new implimentation required:

*Render system. Can be implemented without GPU programms and some other things.
*OgreFileSystem.
*OgreSearchOps.

Required libraries

The libraries Orge uses:

*OpenIL. Used for loading textures. Can be substituded with FreeImage or pnglib and some custom loaders.
*FreeType. Used for TrueType fonts. Can be stripped down.
*zzip. Used for work with zips. Can be stripped down.

Things we will need:
Logging system over the network (to PC, for dev time) and file (not really usefull in dev - need to eject SD every time, but good for testers)

Notes On Iris2:

*it uses ogre directly from lua, so it can use features in unexpected to my render system implementation way (like render targets and or point sprites, or even shaders).
*there will be problems with materials. they are shader-based.
*there will be problems with memory. Orge is not really suitable for wii itself, its too large and too PC-styled, and iris is even more on that. it even has path finding in lua. and its uses std intensively. so it will fragment memory and then fail. We will need custom memory allocators and special techniques on it.
*running speed seems to be slow because of lua and std.
*network implementation will be real pain, its hard even on pc to debug it.
This is the document describing what he is working on he may update is more as he gets things done.

OLD POST:
I think it would be great if someone ported the Ogre graphics engine for developers to use its much more extensive that some of the things we have now and it already works on both linux, windows, and mac os x. Once this is ported many other projects that already use it can easily be ported. Anyways just an idea I hope someone takes interest in it. Source Download

OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine) is a scene-oriented, flexible 3D rendering engine (as opposed to a game engine) written in C++ designed to make it easier and intuitive for developers to produce applications utilising hardware-accelerated 3D graphics. The class library abstracts the details of using the underlying system libraries like Direct3D and OpenGL and provides an interface based on world objects and other high level classes.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Screens:

Iris2 3d Client

VorteX

OpenFrag

Earth Eternal (commercial MMO)

Projects that use OGRE 3D:

[www.openfrag.org] (fps game)
[www.iris2.de] (3d client for mmorpg ultima online)
[vortex-game.sourceforge.net] (space shooter game)
[www.ogre3d.org] (many more projects using orgre)

Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2008 08:59AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
Re: Ogre 3d Graphics Engine Port
August 07, 2008 11:05PM
It looks awesome.
I believe that someone should port this.
I also think that it is a great idea.

Link did not tell me to say this, it is my belief entirely. I enjoy Ultima online.
Re: Ogre 3D Graphics Engine Port
August 08, 2008 09:54AM
But can the wii handle all the features? Ogre is created for the pc, so the wii can have trouble with some of the effects.
August 08, 2008 10:26AM
Well I talked to a couple developers on #WiiDev and they seem to think the Wii would be able to handle it. There are lots of highly graphical games for Wii I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to handle this I'm sure that it could be modified in a way so that it could work with the hardware the way it needs to. We just need someone to look at the code who knows about Wii development I can't really answer because I'm only experienced with C# programming under a limited server script environment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 10:30AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
August 08, 2008 10:39AM
Ogre isn't the most advanced graphics engine, but even that said, how graphics run on something is largely down to the skill of the programmer(s). That said, the hardware is also a limit, for example if i were to attempt to render an entire scene comprised of 5 million polys, volumetric fog and lighting and any number of things most people don't understand, it probably won't work. Porting parts of it may be better than a straight port of everything, it would take sometime.
August 08, 2008 10:50AM
Yeh I'm sure it would take some time. As you can tell by martins comment one of the main reasons I want it ported is because once that is ported it will be much easier for someone to port Iris over to Wii the engine is the main thing for it to be ported lua and a lot of other things it needs are already working on Wii the iris developers are willing to host an svn for who even wants to port it.
August 08, 2008 05:04PM
martinstatic
It looks awesome.

Link did not tell me to say this, it is my belief entirely. I enjoy Ultima online.

hey nice to see you make it to the new forums, i agree, it looks cool, and if someone can do it then they should try.
August 08, 2008 11:09PM
Well i'm glad you guys think its a good idea hopefully some more developers will join the forums after its announced on HackMii (they can't do it until the admin fixes the mail system)

EDIT:
I found a developer he will be on the forums as soon as his account gets activated by the moderator his user name is Tinte and I was talking to him earlier and he said he really wants to port orgre to Wii but he may need some help from a developer that knows more about the Wii stuff he himself has 4 years programming experience in the gamedev industry so I think that he is very capable right now he is experimenting with the Wii he told me something about a program to load textures he was experimenting with.

Tinte
I will write a paper on vision i have about the port first. Also, it could be good, if somebody experienced in graphics wrote down his thought about materials system. I am pretty sure we will not get cg on wii. So there will be some kind of substitutuion on fixed pipeline and way to map ogre materials to it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2008 01:36AM by Link_of_Hyrule.
August 09, 2008 07:34PM
I don't know enough about 3d programming to do the port myself, but I know we definitely need a 3d library/engine. I did a little research and I think the wii could handle it.
August 09, 2008 07:49PM
Well Tinte is going to try and port it if you read all the edits in my last post lol.
August 09, 2008 08:24PM
I can't wait :)
August 14, 2008 08:27PM
Tinte has been experimenting with the Wii coding he is coding a small graphics engine (i'm pretty sure its unrealated to ogre) just to get the feel for how the different things work on the Wii heres a message he sent me the other day.

Tinte
Hi!
During sunday night I fixed texture and mesh loading in my little engine. now it's working fine. I plan to add vertex color support and second texture coordinates set (for lightmaps), and also some kind of lights management.

Also he plans to make a small homebrew game he hasn't told me anything else yet but I'll keep you guys updated.

Tinte
I wrote a little 'engine', which can load meshes and textures and handle basic lighting. There are some things left that i want to investigate on the platform, and maybe make a small homebrew game. It will take some time because i'm kinda busy at work and studying...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2008 10:18PM by Link_of_Hyrule.
August 14, 2008 08:31PM
martinstatic
It looks awesome.

Hey dude!!! I thought I wouldn't see you again!!! Well anyway wow that last one with the haze looks very good...hope the wii can handle some of this stuff.
August 14, 2008 10:14PM
Yes OpenFrag looks pretty cool but its in the early stages even on computer theres not much to be played in the game but I'm sure that it will come along very quickly it looks like it has a couple good developers. Out of the ones I posted I think Iris2 is the farthest along but there are other games and applications that use ogre that aren't in my post and it will be awesome for use by future developers for new applications.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2008 10:15PM by Link_of_Hyrule.
August 20, 2008 10:52PM
What's the latest status update from "Tinte"?
August 21, 2008 04:47AM
Not really sure haven't talked to him for a while hopefully he will get on this week and post something.
August 22, 2008 11:40PM
I spent some more time on lighting/materials system on wii. Its looks quite strange for me, but i think i got the idea. Materials gonna be one of the most difficult things in porting ogre. There are some other interesting things you can do on wii, and people i've talked said that wii really simular to old videocards in API, so if you know old-school tricks, you can create VFXs like bump mapping, water and many other.
Also i took a look into sources of PocketPC ogre port. Nice indeed.
August 23, 2008 12:33AM
Awesome to see you on the forums Tinte :) Can we expect a release of this library soon?
August 23, 2008 06:14AM
Great news Tinte I look forward to hearing more its great that your on the forums now.
August 23, 2008 08:57PM
Arikado
Awesome to see you on the forums Tinte :) Can we expect a release of this library soon?
Actually I want to write little 3d engine first.
Following features will be supported:
*3d geometry with multiply UV sets and vertex color (got most of it done)
*skinned geometry (I suppose I'll adopt md5 format)
*very simple material management
*generic scene management (light affection, frustum culling)
*simple resource management
*wii remote, nunchuck and keyboard support
*simple startup application
*PC OpenGL and Wii compatability (Wii is primary)

Sound and network left outboard
The purpose of the engine is to gain experience and have a starting point for 'dragging' Orge piece by piece into wii.
I am sure there are a lot of more experienced coders, who made brilliant Quake, ScummVM and other ports, not to mention the wii reversed itself. But I believe such step-by-step way is right for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login