Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assistance

Posted by ShyRanger 
Assistance
September 17, 2009 01:54AM
I'll detail my problem and please let me know what I did wrong, or what the next step is.

I downloaded the Homebrew Channel and Bootmii2 (both via the Bannerbomb menu, and I already had the first Bootmii thing in order to do that).

Anyway Homebrew works, and I went to the Home menu and clicked Launch Bootmii, and a loading screen came up, with the four squares with the Wii, Homebrew, gears and such. My Wii Remote didn't work, so I used my GC controller. I pressed A and the screen went black and returned to the Wii Menu.

Help.
Re: Assistance
September 17, 2009 02:00AM
Thats because you selected the wii menu button. You use the directional pad to navigate, and the A button to select. If you pressed left and right on the directional pad, you would have selected a different option.

The wii icon loads the menu
The homebrew icon loads the homebrew channel
the little cogs/wheels icon brings you to the screen to backup/restore your NAND.
I can't remember what the other one does.

You installed bootmii as an IOS, which ATM is useless. Did you try installing it as boot2?
September 17, 2009 02:11AM
Now I can move around the menu, but I'm still confused. What do I need to do to activate codes for my games?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 02:17AM by ShyRanger.
September 17, 2009 02:26AM
lol, you don't use bootmii to do that. :P

You need to get Gecko OS. Its an app that you put on the HBC.

Make a folder on the root of your SD card. Extract the folder that you download, and inside you'll find another folder called gecko192. Inside that, you'll find a folder called HBC. Inside that, there's another folder called gecko192. Drag that to the apps folder. Once its in the apps folder, go inside of it and you'll se a boot.elf file. Delete it, and then go back into the folder you downloaded. This time, instead of going into the HBC folder, go into the DOL folder. Inside you'll find a file called main.dol. Drag that into the gecko192 that inside your apps folder, next to the icon.png and meta.xml. (sorry, this is kind of confusing. :P)
Rename the main.dol to boot.dol.
Thats it!! :D

Your SD card should look like this: apps/gecko192/boot.dol, icon.png,etc.

Put your SD card in your wii, and then launch the homebrew channel. You should find an app there called gecko os.

Now, go get the apps code downloader and cheatmanager from wiibrew.org. Use the code downloader app to download the codes for the game you want. Then, use the cheatmanager app to apply the codes you got to your game. Press the + button on the ones you want to apply, and once your done, press 1. Now, run gecko os, and put the game in the wii drive that you got the codes for. Click on launch game. It should apply your codes!

If you have any questions, or something you don't understand, feel free to ask!! :D
September 17, 2009 03:09AM
Idid the steps you said about adding Gecko.os, but I don't see an app on the channel screen. Where is it, and would it only be there if I added app codes?
September 17, 2009 03:13AM
That doesn't make sense. You messed something up.

Make sure your SD card is set up like this:

/apps/gecko192/boot.dol (not main.dol)

Is that how its set up for you?
September 17, 2009 03:16AM
Yes it is.

Do I need to remove the bootmii software from it?
September 17, 2009 03:43AM
No, you don't need to remove bootmii for it to come up.

That really doesn't make any sense. So you launch the Homebrew Channel, an there's no app there?
September 17, 2009 04:03AM
Nope, there's nothing up.

I'll try and tell you everything on my SD Card about Gecko

In the private folder, under Wii, and app, there's Gecko192, and in it is Boot.dol, meta, and icon
September 17, 2009 04:20AM
ShyRanger
Nope, there's nothing up.

I'll try and tell you everything on my SD Card about Gecko

In the private folder, under Wii, and app, there's Gecko192, and in it is Boot.dol, meta, and icon
Um, no.

You need to make your own apps folder on the root of the SD card (next to the private folder). Thats where you went wrong.

Right click on the empty space next to the private folder. Click on "new" and then click on folder. Name it to apps. Not Apps or APPS, just apps.

Then, put the gecko192 folder inside the apps folder that you made.
It should now come up on the HBC. lol, sorry for the confusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 04:20AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 17, 2009 05:17AM
K now it works. And now I have 2 last quick questions. This time about Cheat Manager
It says to put txt code files into sd/txtcodes folder
1. Where can I find these code files
2. Do I create my own txtcodes folder?
September 17, 2009 05:50AM
use cheatdownoader
September 17, 2009 06:43AM
Okay, I think I can take it from here, except one last question. In the database, some of the games are split into 3 different code sets, like ESEA or ESER or something like that. What do those represent?
September 17, 2009 03:28PM
BootMii is currently only useful for NAND backups and/or restoring. It's not for cheat codes, duh.
September 17, 2009 04:56PM
If it ends in:
J it is japanese
E it is USA
P it is Europe/Australia
September 17, 2009 05:18PM
Edit: bad timing.

metroid_maniac, no no dude i was refering to Matoking's post...
You and i were posting at the same time and you got your in before mine.

ignore what i said, wasn't at all a reply to your post!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2009 06:27PM by mdbrim.
September 17, 2009 06:04PM
Yes because it is obvious that E = not Europe but USA. :-)
September 20, 2009 12:22AM
Okay, so I've been using Gecko successfully with my Wii games, but I just realized. There are Virtual Console codes, however in order for the codes to work, you have to choose Begin Game on Gecko. HOWEVER, how do you do that with Virtual Console games?
September 20, 2009 12:23AM
The same way you'd do it for the other ones, I think..

Use code downloader, browser for the game, apply the codes with cheatmanager, and then click on "launch channel" in gecko os.
September 20, 2009 12:35AM
When I try to add the codes to cheatmanager, for some reason the VC games don't have Game IDs. I try to type something, but it still says there's no game ID. What do I do?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login