Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is anybody familiar with the general structure of a Gamecube savefile?

Posted by TheManuel 
Is anybody familiar with the general structure of a Gamecube savefile?
October 04, 2009 02:59AM
I have a savefile from the Gamecube game, "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest" and would like to extract the portion of the savefile that contains the native N64 save of Ocarina of Time.

I opened the gci file with a hex editor but I can't make heads or tails of any of it.

Thanks.
Re: Is anybody familiar with the general structure of a Gamecube savefile?
October 08, 2009 03:08PM
I got this to work.

Guided by what someone else had done for the other GCN Zelda OOT port (Collector's Edition), I identified a Gamecube specific header that was repeated twice in the file so I deleted it.
I then found out that the save data was byte-swapped compared to the Mupen64 PC .sra save file so I swapped the latter and that helped me identify a few key values that mark the beginning of the actual save data.
After this, it was just a matter making sure my file size and starting charcters on the converted Gamecube file were the same as the Mupen savefile.
I then byte-swapped the file and tried it on Mupen 64 PC and was pleasantly surprise to see my name on the savefile selection screen.

However, I was thrown a last curve at the end because when I frist tried the savefile on Wii64, it did not work. So, I byte-swapped the file again to return it to its original state and that did work. Strangely, Wii64's .sra files are byte-swapped compared to Mupen64's.

Anyway, mission accomplished.
If anyone ever need details about this, just PM me.

Regards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login