Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice for updating

Posted by lorddunlow 
Advice for updating
October 23, 2009 01:26PM
First of all, I would like to thank all involved with Wii homebrew, as it has turned a game console which I would use occasionally for a new game into a miniature computer system that allows me to do many different and useful things from my bedroom.

I am currently on HBC 1.0.3 on a 3.3U Wii (pre-Oct 23 update - from Animal Crossing disc). The following applications are used almost daily and I value their function over being the most up to date as possible:

Savegame Installer/Extractor
Various emulators
Mediaplayer CE with DVDx
WiiExplorer
ScummVM

My concern is that with recent Nintendo updates, everything seems to be turned on its head, and there is a lot of confusion as to which is the best course to take to update (both homebrew applications and Nintendo software). Currently I am happy with how everything runs on my Wii, but since the updated HBC has a different TitleId it seems that some homebrew apps do not work or not as well (just from what I've read on these forums, as I haven't updated yet). For example, DVDx with Mediaplayer doesn't work with the new DVDx due to TitleId changes. Since the most recent Nintendo update I have updated nothing due to the fact that my Wii does everything I want it to. However, I anticipate that this will change eventually and would like advice as to what each member thinks would be my best course of action.

I have up to this point only updated Shop channel etc. with WiiSCU with no difficulty (I haven't updated to the most recent version yet) and have installed the Mediaplayer CE cIOS. I also used DOP-IOS early on and added the Trucha bug to the IOSs that I installed at that time (including IOS 60/61) which I have now come to realize was not necessary or recommended. Due to this I am hesitant to update HBC due to the upside down thing. I do not have any overt piracy apps or cIOS installed.

I am leaning towards using NUSD and a Wad manager to install System menu 4.1 and installing the necessary IOSs and shop channel using WiiSCU/DOP-IOS. I am planning on installing BootMii as boot2 prior to this to make a backup. I don't plan on installing the new DVDx until the apps that use it update. I would also like to install StartPatch for the disc update check hack, but I am unsure how safe it is. My concern is that if I update HBC, some of the programs won't work until they are updated (or never for apps that have not had updates in a while). Particularly, I have read on here that there are problems with Savegame Installer/Extractor on HBC 1.0.6. I would like input as to each user's opinion on what I should do.

Also, it would be helpful if someone could create a thread listing which apps don't work or have problems with the current HBC 1.0.6 and what the issue is.
Re: Advice for updating
October 23, 2009 04:35PM
Don't bother updating unless you want to use the newer SD Card features. Otherwise, there is no reason to update. And stay away from "safe" updaters. ;-) Also, updating the HBC to 1.0.6 should not cause any problems. Using Startpatch is actually pretty safe if you have Bootmii/boot2 installed. I was actually planning on using it today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 04:36PM by gameboy13.
October 23, 2009 04:54PM
If you're gonna update, do it all the way. Nintendo update to 4.2

Afterward, you will still be able to use BootMii, HBC, and DVDX. Any problems you encounter with applications (like savegame manager) will be caused by those applications using an IOS that Nintendo blocked (stubbed). All of the IOS problems can be fixed, however.
October 23, 2009 10:55PM
I definitely don't plan on updating through Nintendo due to the brick risk. I don't have need for SD features right now, but I anticipate I will in the future. I also would like to use StartPatch, if it is safe, so I think I am going to update to 4.1 manually. I would appreciate other options/opinions.

Thanks to the above posters and whoever posts to help.
October 23, 2009 11:20PM
Go ahead and use StartPatch, it's (almost) completely safe and very useful. Just have a NAND backup ready if anything should go wrong. And you'll be fine as long as you dont update to 4.2. If you want the new HBC and be able to play DVDs, install everything except the new DVDX so the Title Ids wont change or wait for updates for MPlayer (tell me if im wrong about DVDX, thats what i did)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 11:23PM by Molzo.
October 24, 2009 02:07PM
lorddunlow
I definitely don't plan on updating through Nintendo due to the brick risk.
Unless you plan on playing jump rope with your Wii's power cord while you update, there really is no brick risk.
October 24, 2009 09:53PM
Arikado
lorddunlow
Unless you plan on playing jump rope with your Wii's power cord while you update, there really is no brick risk.
lol :P
but isnt the brick risk because of the buggy boot2 update code?
October 24, 2009 10:32PM
darklink
Arikado
lorddunlow

I think you may still need to lose power/power surge to brick.
October 25, 2009 01:34PM
darklink
Arikado
lorddunlow
"buggy" actually. While it's not the prettiest thing out there, it does successfully get the job done whether we all like it or not.
October 31, 2009 06:45PM
If I update with the HackMii installer to HBC 1.0.6, can I run the HackMii installer 0.3 and go back to HBC 1.0.3 without problems?

Also, if I install BootMii to the newest version and let Nintendo update officially, will it still update boot2?

I also mentioned above that when I first added IOS60 and IOS61 I added the Trucha bug not knowing that was not required. Am I correct in assuming that I need to reinstall IOS60 without Trucha with Dop-IOS Mod before installing HBC 1.0.6 (due to the upside down thing)? Are there any other IOSs that I need to make sure I have installed or reinstalled without the Trucha bug?

One more question: Why does everyone on here recommend updating through Nintendo when WiiBrew has a huge disclaimer on the top of the page stating they absolutely do not recommend updating through Nintendo?

I definitely do not plan on updating to 4.2 (by any means) until Mplayer CE 0.76 is released due to the DVDx issue. (Do the new versions of VBAgx, FCEUgx, and Snes9x gx have the DVDx fix yet?)

I appreciate everyone's help. The 4.2 update may not have thwarted homebrew in the least, but it has caused lots of confusion among the masses. I hope after the dust settles there is a little more cohesive community around here.

Thanks,
Josh
November 03, 2009 05:30PM
lorddunlow
If I update with the HackMii installer to HBC 1.0.6, can I run the HackMii installer 0.3 and go back to HBC 1.0.3 without problems?
You can't do that. Sorry.

lorddunlow
Also, if I install BootMii to the newest version and let Nintendo update officially, will it still update boot2?
Yes, just reinstall BootMii afterward.

lorddunlow
I also mentioned above that when I first added IOS60 and IOS61 I added the Trucha bug not knowing that was not required. Am I correct in assuming that I need to reinstall IOS60 without Trucha with Dop-IOS Mod before installing HBC 1.0.6 (due to the upside down thing)? Are there any other IOSs that I need to make sure I have installed or reinstalled without the Trucha bug?
Actually, HBC will just reinstall using a different IOS than 60. No need to touch Dop-IOS MOD again!

lorddunlow
One more question: Why does everyone on here recommend updating through Nintendo when WiiBrew has a huge disclaimer on the top of the page stating they absolutely do not recommend updating through Nintendo?
Because for homebrew purposes, there's never any need to bother with updates. Realistically, it doesn't matter.

lorddunlow
I definitely do not plan on updating to 4.2 (by any means) until Mplayer CE 0.76 is released due to the DVDx issue. (Do the new versions of VBAgx, FCEUgx, and Snes9x gx have the DVDx fix yet?)
Yeah, Tantric fixed all of his emu's already.
November 03, 2009 09:08PM
Arikado
lorddunlow
He can but he would have 2 hbc's (i did that:D)
November 03, 2009 09:57PM
darklink
Arikado
lorddunlow
He can but he would have 2 hbc's (i did that:D)
Yeah, your right. I got my versions mixed up :P
November 03, 2009 11:33PM
Thanks for the answers. BTW, if I do end up going back to HBC 1.0.3 and have two HBCs installed can I just delete the other one, or is there some special way of doing it?
November 04, 2009 12:20AM
use the corresponding hackmii installer to delete the hbc you dont want or use any title deleter and remove title id JODI if you dont want hbc 1.0.6 and delete title id HAXX if you dont want hbc 1.0.x (any hbc other than 1.0.5 or 1.0.6)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2009 12:21AM by darklink.
November 04, 2009 02:06AM
Or you could just have the Wii delete them naturally.
November 04, 2009 03:24AM
^^ wouldnt that still leave the ticket?
November 04, 2009 03:34AM
TopGun96
^^ wouldnt that still leave the ticket?
Yes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login