Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged System Menu 3.4 thread

Posted by bushing 
Mega Merged System Menu 3.4 thread
December 15, 2008 03:36AM
We told you not to upgrade to 3.4 (or 3.3); you (or your little sister) did anyway. You're not a bad person, but your life will be more difficult. Discuss.
Wii system menu 3.4
November 18, 2008 06:00AM
tona Edit:
Please read this post and the Wiibrew Article for this update before posting!

About this update:
This update comes with a new System Menu (3.4), a new IOS (50), a stub IOS installed as IOS254, and some minor updates for the Mii Channel and other IOS.

How this affects homebrew
-The current Twilight Hack will no longer install.
-DVDX users with modchips that used "Patchmii_core" will no longer have DVDX working (this update overwrites the patchmii IOS254 with a nonfunctional stub).

Will there be a new Twilight Hack?
Probably not, but there will certainly be other save game exploits released in the future. Right now, things will probably have to wait for BootMii.

Misc:
-Nintendo's description of the update

symbiant's original post is below. (Sorry, phorum's merge function sucks).

symbiant
Been hearing news that wii system menu 3.4 is out.
Been hearing that it deletes unauthorized savegame files (TP Hack) and custom channels. I do not know if this includes the HBC.
Obviously wait until the powers-that-be can take a look at it before updating!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 09:59PM by tona.
Re: Wii system menu 3.4
November 18, 2008 06:03AM
This is so much fun... >.> I should really install Star fall sometime..

But yeah, if anyone updates here.. you're silly and .. yeah.. x_x;
November 18, 2008 09:21AM
Crap!

This is exciting, in some way, but also scary... Now Nintendo can do automatic updates on Wii? (At least that is what the new Wii Privacy Policy saids...)
November 18, 2008 09:23AM
Wow, that's really, really lame. Automatic updates are not going to be good at all. Hopefully there's a way to disable them, and if not homebrew will find a workaround although I really don't want to install a hacked System Menu onto my Wii. The thing that sucks is that this update supposedly improves SD card file transfer speeds significantly, which would be useful for me since my Wii is nearly full with WiiWare and N64 games. [www.thetanooki.com]

Reports are saying that it removes unauthorized channels, but then I'm seeing places that say that HBC is not affected. Any conclusive evidence from anyone?
November 18, 2008 09:32AM
Well, the System Menu 3.4 article on the wiki shows HBC as not affected by the update. I guess this have something to do with the channel itself, after all, HBC is the only app (as far I know), that doesn't uses the banner leaked code... Not that makes so much difference, I just guessing.
November 18, 2008 12:21PM
Banner's wouldn't be used to identify unauthorised channels. Instead, they will probably be validating the contents of the ticket and tmd files.
November 18, 2008 02:08PM
I've still not got any mail about it. xD I'm feeling left out. ;-;

Also what's with people saying it does it automaticly... and then others saying it doesn't. :/ Who's right? D:
Oh well.. I've now turned off connect 24..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 02:08PM by cuber.
November 18, 2008 03:38PM
So, Is it confirmed that the HBC will stay through the update and the apps will still work?
November 18, 2008 04:42PM
cuber
Also what's with people saying it does it automaticly... and then others saying it doesn't.

I understand it this way:
This update requires user interaction, but it changes the contract, so that the next update will not require user interaction.
November 18, 2008 04:58PM
How to block automatic updates? Turn of you wifi connection.

Also there's an app out on tehskeen that updates your Wii to 3.4 giving you only "good" updates and not "bad" ones.
November 18, 2008 04:58PM
Furthermore, I have a theory that only HBC lower than beta 9 is being deleted by this update.
November 18, 2008 06:08PM
I had the HBC installed, but it was an older version. I did the Wii System update and the HBC channel was still there. When I fired up HBC, it did it's own update and was working fine. However, several apps didn't work any more. I was getting a "Not valid Wii software" message. I do not know if that was due to the HBC channel update or the Wii update. The Homebrew Browser was one that didn't load; however, getting the newest version fixed that problem.

I don't use HBC or wiibrew a lot, but there are some apps I enjoy playing with.
November 18, 2008 06:17PM
Arikado
Furthermore, I have a theory that only HBC lower than beta 9 is being deleted by this update.

As far as any of us can tell, the rumors about the update deleting fakesigned content are just that--rumors.

Once installed, HBC b9 TMDs/tickets are pretty much the same as they were in b8 and b7. There was a change to support the Korean Common key or somesuch, but otherwise nothing.

The only homebrew content that will be removed is the Twilight Hack, and the patchmii IOS254 (known as "Patchmii_core" to some), which is the patched IOS necessary for modchip users.
November 18, 2008 06:21PM
whoa! all this happened in one day?

I'm gone for a few hours, and *poof* fricken scary new update is out...
November 18, 2008 06:28PM
How to block automatic updates? Turn of you wifi connection.

I wonder, should this not read "Turn off WiiConnect24"?
Would not the update come from WC24 but you can still be connected to the internet without getting the updates?

I know this is all being sorted out at the moment so I'll wait for more concrete news.

Regards.
November 18, 2008 06:35PM
I'll update when I get home and let you know what kind of hell it plays with everything.

I don't use PatchMii or any crazy firmware installer things, just basic homebrew apps. Though I do have DVDX
November 18, 2008 06:58PM
The only homebrew content that will be removed is the Twilight Hack, and the patchmii IOS254 (known as "Patchmii_core" to some), which is the patched IOS necessary for modchip users.

Weird... Why they don't remove the IOS249 or 247 instead? (We all known why this update happened...)
November 18, 2008 07:18PM
DanielHueho

Weird... Why they don't remove the IOS249 or 247 instead? (We all known why this update happened...)
Patchmii DVDX came out before warezloader IOS. They can't just change their plans midstream. Have no doubt, they'll be next.
November 18, 2008 07:29PM
Hmm, so what does the Patchmii IOS254 let you do? I'm really confused and annoyed by Nintendo at this point. Bootmii can't come soon enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login