Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black screen in HBC after 4.2e Update

Posted by dgitan 
Black screen in HBC after 4.2e Update
April 14, 2010 10:28AM
I try to launch my HBC after a waninkoko 4.2 update, and i have a black screen,

I try to reinstall the HBD with Hackmii 0.6, and I receive this message :

"there is no know vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii.
please note that we will not use a fakesigned IOS due to security reasons."

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Black screen in HBC after 4.2e Update
April 14, 2010 03:45PM
First of all, never use Wanky's updaters. Although this time you only have IOS problems but no brick, his updaters are a common cause of full bricks.

Anyway, you can fix your issue by installing the latest versions of all IOSes without patches. This is most easily done with DOP-Mii. After reinstalling all IOSes, reinstall the Homebrew Channel. As long as you do not patch the IOSes, the Hackmii Installer will work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 03:45PM by jbc007.
April 14, 2010 06:20PM
Using bannerbomb v2 and dop-mii
Select ios249 and press A
Select ios, mios, bc
Install the latest version of ios34- WITHOUT patches
Now you can run the hackmii installer without error

The black screen sugests that you downgraded some ios files
Install the latest version of ios35 without patches, that will probably fix the blackscreen
but you probably need ios36 as well for other apps
Install the latest version of ios36, with all patches

The HBC should work, so you should not have to reinstall it. But I bet it is upside down, so run the hackmii installer to fix it.
April 14, 2010 06:41PM
mauifrog
Install the latest version of ios35 without patches, that will probably fix the blackscreen

That may or may not fix it. It depends on which IOS the Homebrew Channel is set to use on your wii. It is impossible for us to know which IOS the Homebrew Channel uses on your wii, since it depends on which IOSes you had when you installed the Homebrew Channel.

Seriously, reinstall all IOSes without patches. There is obviously something wrong with them (cIOScrap most likely). Only patch IOS 36 if you know what the patches are for and have use for them, but in any case don't patch anything else. This may fix the issue with the Homebrew Channel, but if it doesn't, just reinstall it and it will work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 06:42PM by jbc007.
April 14, 2010 07:32PM
If he installs the latest version of all ios, he will stub many ios, including his cIOS- which I am sure he does not want to do. It is very very very likely that ios 34 35 and 36 are all he needs. And installing them presents almost zero risk to his system, avoiding the risk of system ios install failure.

As for the patches, it is good to always have your system ios patched and ios36. Dop-mii does not work without a patched ios, so he will need at least one.
April 14, 2010 09:36PM
mauifrog
If he installs the latest version of all ios, he will stub many ios, including his cIOS- which I am sure he does not want to do.

Assuming he even has cIOS, although a suppose it's not unlikely. CIOS is usually used for piracy anyway. Still, it isn't necessary to install the stubs. They won't cause any problems, so it doesn't matter if they are installed or not.

mauifrog
It is very very very likely that ios 34 35 and 36 are all he needs. And installing them presents almost zero risk to his system, avoiding the risk of system ios install failure.

He most likely has cIOScrap, which is always a bad thing. Although this should allow the Homebrew Channel to work, it will leave all other cIOScrap cIOSes installed. The only way to remove them is to reinstall all of the normal IOSes. It is extremely unlikely that this will cause a brick.

mauifrog
As for the patches, it is good to always have your system ios patched and ios36. Dop-mii does not work without a patched ios, so he will need at least one.

The only reasons to patch the system menu IOS are: 1) to be able to play trucha signed games through the disc channel, which also requires a mod chip, by the way. That is rarely useful and unsupported here. 2) To be able to copy custom channels to the wii from an SD card or to be able to use them from the SD card menu. Again, this is useful to very few people. 3) By far the most common reason to patch the system menu IOS is to be able to copy pirated VC/WW games from the SD card or to play them from the SD card menu. This certainly is not something anyone should be doing, and it is not supported here.

Patching IOS 36 is not such a bad idea, but I would only advise patching it if there is a particular reason to do so.
April 14, 2010 10:40PM
I have no doubt not your method will work, and not brick his wii- but it is above and beyond the issue present by the poster. I never made any mention to piracy, I don#t support it.
April 15, 2010 05:42AM
My recomendation is intended to prevent almost certain problems in the future, not simply fix the Homebrew Channel. I am not accusing you of piracy. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login