Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delete Core Wii Menu Channels

Posted by Gatleos 
Re: Delete Core Wii Menu Channels
September 10, 2010 07:49AM
The shop doesn't have a log of your purchases, it detects installed titles.
September 10, 2010 10:08AM
NintendoFreak
SifJar
Yeah, AnyTitle Deleter will do the job, just be careful with it. It shouldn't allow you to brick yourself completely, but still, be careful not to delete anything you aren't SURE you want rid of (esp. VC and WW games, as deleting them with AnyTitle Deleter means you have to buy them again if you want them back, instead of just redownloading for free)

What?!? This does not make any sense to me, why would it matter? The Wii Shop has a log of games you've purchased and I dont think there should be a problem re-downloading a game again if you delete such files.

bg4545
The shop doesn't have a log of your purchases, it detects installed titles.

Actually, the shop does keep track of what you have purchased. It detects installed titles in order to tell you what titles you may redownload for free, but it does keep track of your purchases for another reason. If you do a system format, it will erase the Data directory of all non-removable titles, including the shop channel, and it will do what Any Title Deleter does, completely uninstall ALL VC/WiiWare from your system.

Now, if you reconfigure your wifi again, and access the shop, because the Shop channel's data directory was deleted, the shop channel will know that it needs to synchronize with the server, as to what you have, and ALL titles which you have purchased, will have their tickets reinstalled onto your system.

Now, if you just any title delete one of your VC/WiiWare, it will show up as need to purchase again, but if you have the wii points, and you attempt to repurchase the title, the Wii points won't be deducted, because the shop was keeping track, that you had indeed purchased it. It will just reissue the ticket again. The same is true for ALL DLC as well. (In fact, if you purchased multiple DLC, then any title deleted the DLC ticket, then all of the DLC shows up as unpurchased. Buy one that you haven't bought yet, or even attempt to rebuy one of the ones you have bought, and the ticket gets refreshed, and ALL DLC previously purchased gets correctly remarked as purchased.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 10:10AM by caitsith2.
September 10, 2010 03:58PM
I can confirm that Wii Shop channel keeps a log of your purchases, does not only detect the tickets of installed titles in your Wii.

I restored a very old NAND backup with BootMii, when I had not purchases any title. I had the WW titles stored in my SD and the system didn't allow me to copy them back to the Wii.

However, I entered to the Shop channel, and all my titles appeared as purchased, available to download. After i exited from the channel, I was able to copy the games back from my SD to my Wii NAND and all of them ran fine.

And FYI, the titles you download are linked to the MAC address of your Wii network adapter. That is how they keep track of which titles have been downloaded by each Wii.
September 10, 2010 07:02PM
So if you spoofed the MAC address to someone else's Wii, you could get their downloads for free? :P
September 10, 2010 07:40PM
SifJar
So if you spoofed the MAC address to someone else's Wii, you could get their downloads for free? :P

Hahaha! xD

As far as I know, you can spoof IP addresses, but not MAC adresses. MAC addresses are physically written to hardware, and are used in the 2nd layer of the OSI model for networking, just above the Physical layer. These 2 layers are practically unmodificable through software.

IP addresses belong to the 3rd layer, which is where software configurations start to take place, that is why they can be changed or spoofed.

Anyway, in order to answer your question, if you remove the WiFi ethernet adapter chip where the MAC address is written from a Wii and solder it into another Wii, theorically you would be transferring the MAC address, then the second Wii would be able to access the Wii Shop as if it were the first Wii...

However, I frankly doubt anyone will ever do that. If they wanted to get other Wii's downloads from free they would do --you know what-- to install the fakesigned WADs :P

If you want to know more about OSI model from ISO and its layers, wikipedia comes to the rescue :)

[en.wikipedia.org]

EDIT: I just remembered that if you go to Wii Settings - Internet and you click on some option called system ID or something (can't remember) it will show you the MAC address of your Wii :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 07:54PM by Axel.
September 10, 2010 08:52PM
Dunno if its possible on Wii, but it is possible to spoof a MAC address: [en.wikipedia.org]
September 10, 2010 10:57PM
So... returning back to the topic at hand... is it even worth deleting both the News and Forecast channels? I want to get rid of them because I don't use them, look just so damn fugly on the sys menu, and because I want to use the blocks they use up. But according to what someone else said in this thread, they indeed NOT give you any free blocks. Is this true, or am I missing something? I'd really appreciate the extra blocks.
September 10, 2010 11:13PM
SifJar
Dunno if its possible on Wii, but it is possible to spoof a MAC address: [en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]
Although intended to be a permanent and globally unique identification, it is possible to change the MAC address on most of today's hardware, an action often referred to as MAC spoofing. Unlike IP address spoofing, where a sender spoofing their address in a request tricks the other party into sending the response elsewhere, in MAC address spoofing, the response is received by the spoofing party. However, MAC address spoofing is limited to the local broadcast domain.

It is a different concept. You can only fake a MAC address within the same router or network segment of a LAN. This is not possible to be done through the internet.
September 11, 2010 12:09AM
Well, its irrelevant anyway. I, and most users of this forum, would be very opposed to this happening if it were possible.
September 13, 2010 01:39AM
Yeah, and even if you did spoof some elses MAC address, you still don't get access to their shop account, as that is not what the shop uses to uniquely identify your system. The shop uses your console ID and Serial number to uniquely identify your system, and your system's ECC public key, to issue the tickets to it. Those 3 things are what makes up the shop login credentials.
September 13, 2010 02:32AM
Axel
I can confirm that Wii Shop channel keeps a log of your purchases, does not only detect the tickets of installed titles in your Wii.

I restored a very old NAND backup with BootMii, when I had not purchases any title. I had the WW titles stored in my SD and the system didn't allow me to copy them back to the Wii.

However, I entered to the Shop channel, and all my titles appeared as purchased, available to download. After i exited from the channel, I was able to copy the games back from my SD to my Wii NAND and all of them ran fine.

And FYI, the titles you download are linked to the MAC address of your Wii network adapter. That is how they keep track of which titles have been downloaded by each Wii.

Am I correct in thinking that this means that no matter what you do to your Wii as far as software goes, you can still redownload purchased content for free?
September 13, 2010 06:08AM
winmaster
Am I correct in thinking that this means that no matter what you do to your Wii as far as software goes, you can still redownload purchased content for free?
Nope, I've had my shop account deleted and sadly cannot re-download the games I purchased previously.
September 13, 2010 08:28AM
bg4545
winmaster
Nope, I've had my shop account deleted and sadly cannot re-download the games I purchased previously.

Well that's only if you choose to delete it your self on the Wii Shop settings, it even tells you that your purchased stuff will be gone.

AFAIK, you can re-download purchased games for free as long as you didn't choose the "Remove Account" option in the Wii Shop.

And they do keep track with the serials, I remember calling Nintendo a year ago asking for an Account transfer to my new Wii because my old one was busted really bad, they transferred it with the Serials of both systems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 08:32AM by NintendoFreak.
September 13, 2010 03:50PM
You guys are getting this wrong...

It is you shop account which gets linked to your MAC address.

They can not identify your Wii through its serial number through the net, however, they have registered which MAC address correspond to each serial, that is why they ask your for your serial number, thus they link your account to the MAC address that corresponds to that serial.

I believe it is true you can format or delete anything from your Wii and you will still be able to redownload your purchased stuff. If you delete your shop account your are not deleting it from your Wii; you are deleting it from nintendo server therefore unlinking it to your MAC address. That is the only way that you can lose the stuff you have downloaded.
September 13, 2010 03:53PM
caitsith2
Yeah, and even if you did spoof some elses MAC address, you still don't get access to their shop account, as that is not what the shop uses to uniquely identify your system. The shop uses your console ID and Serial number to uniquely identify your system, and your system's ECC public key, to issue the tickets to it. Those 3 things are what makes up the shop login credentials.

It only uses your console ID, which happens to be the MAC address. The serial number can not be retrieved through the internet, however it is unique, just like the MAC address (console ID), and they are linked one to each other.
September 15, 2010 02:07AM
NintendoFreak
And they do keep track with the serials, I remember calling Nintendo a year ago asking for an Account transfer to my new Wii because my old one was busted really bad, they transferred it with the Serials of both systems.

Ah, so that means they do have a way of transferring accounts when the Wii's successor comes out.

I find this thread very interesting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login