Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Wii Update 4.3
June 22, 2010 12:53PM
Like with what happens with every other Wii update, we are all going to remain calm and constructive. We are going to have one discussion thread.

This first post will be updated with all confirmed information about the system update and workarounds available to it when it is confirmed.

Do NOT update your Wii right now.

What you will lose from updating to 4.3:
The Homebrew Channel
DVDX
BootMii (IOS)
Bannerbomb

What you will gain from updating to 4.3:
Frustration

Current solutions to 4.3:
You can use Indiana Pwns or Smashstack to boot homebrew code, but you cant reinstall any of the HackMii software yet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 08:05PM by Arikado.
I need a new hackmii installer
June 22, 2010 08:20AM
I just updated to the new firmware (4.3 I believe) and it nuked my homebrew channel and I can't use bannerbomb to reinstall it again. I have been able to use the smash stack exploit to access the boot.elf file on the SD card and start up the hackmii installer, however it gives me an error message stating that there is no vulnerable IOS on the system and it asks that I use a newer version if available. I have version 0.6 of the installer, which is the newest so far, and was wondering if the people that make the hackmii installers visit this forum at all? or maybe someone here could let them know we need a new one? It would really help me out, and I'm sure the community would appreciate it as well.

About the smash stack exploit, its a little finicky, but once you figure it out it's pretty easy. This is the best walkthrough that I have found so far:

[www.youtube.com]

*** I did some research beforehand and found out some things he doesn't mention: first you should remove any gamecube memory cards and gamecube controllers from your wii since they can (supposedly from a forum I read) interfere with the exploit. ALSO, Super Smash isn't compatible with big SD cards, it won't read them at all. This caused some confusion with me at first, since I was using a 16gb card and didn't know what I was doing wrong. Once I put in a smaller 2gb card, it worked fine, except for having an out-of-date hackmii installer. Hopefully, a new version will be released soon, and I can have homebrew again. I doubt I'm the only person who screwed up and updated too. Won't be doing that again.

Thanks so much!
Re: I need a new hackmii installer
June 22, 2010 08:56AM
Yeah, there is no HackMii Installer compatible with 4.3 yet (since it was just released today). Just wait for the next version.
Smash Stack is part of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so that's why it doesn't read SDHC ("big SD") cards.
June 22, 2010 08:57AM
Team Twiizers is responsible for the HackMii Installer, so we'll have to wait on them to update it -- which means we have to play the waiting game.

Yeah, luckily I haven't updated yet. I didn't receive the message from Nintendo either since I had WC24 off. But from what I've read, it's a pretty nasty update. Is there anything else that you could test?
June 22, 2010 09:49AM
I would be happy to test something out for you but keep in mind I don't own that lego indiana jones game or twilight princess as of yet, so I can't test those right now. (I've actually been wanting to get twilight princess, but I want the gamecube version so I can use that controller...)

Looks like we have to play the waiting game, once I get the homebrew channel installed again I wont be updating again, ever. I wouldn't be suprised if nintendo addresses the other exploits in their next update. They just have to go to the homebrew wiki to see what we are doing, lol.
June 22, 2010 10:44AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was peeking at what is essentially the heart of the Wii scene.

All we really need to know is what else was broken and what wasn't, but the entry for 4.3 seems to outline it. But don't kick yourself too hard for updating -- Nintendo usually doesn't make a PSA when it comes to such things.
June 22, 2010 10:46AM
kamilyama
im the same way i dont own twilight princess or indiana jones and why cant u just wait and see if they update the banner bomb exploit thats what im going to have to do
June 22, 2010 11:07AM
Having Twilight Princess would do NO good, Twilight Hack was blocked long ago. Just saying.

Anyway, there are probably ways to get back to an earlier System Menu if you have BootMii/boot2 and a little know how (without even having to restore a NAND dump and lose saves/downloaded channels made since last dump), but they can't be discussed here. Search around a little if you're in desperate need of HBC and accidently updated ;)
Wii Menu version 4.3 killing HBC
June 22, 2010 04:45AM
I just had to update my Wii (downloaded Wii Speak) and ended up with an all new menu ver. 4.3.E

What I found out so far:

- HBC got deleted
- Bannerbomb doesn't work:

Error#004
An error has occurred.
The system files are corrupted.
- Indiana Pwns still works, but bootmii can't find any vulnerable IOS
- Everything else seams to work, no brick

So if you don't want to loose your HBC, DON'T UPDATE!

EDIT: here ist the installer.log
HackMii v0.6 installer starting up
PVR = 00087200
running under IOS 36 rev 0xe17
91 titles are installed
Found IOS 58: revision: 0x181f.
Found IOS 80: revision: 0x1b1f.
Found IOS 254: revision: 0xff00.
Found IOS 250: revision: 0xff00.
Found IOS 249: revision: 0xff00.
Found IOS 223: revision: 0xff00.
Found IOS 222: revision: 0xff00.
Found IOS 57: revision: 0x171e.
Found IOS 56: revision: 0x161d.
Found IOS 70: revision: 0x1b00.
Found IOS 61: revision: 0x161d.
Found IOS 55: revision: 0x161e.
Found IOS 53: revision: 0x161e.
Found IOS 38: revision: 0x101b.
Found IOS 16: revision: 0x200.
Found IOS 60: revision: 0x1900.
Found IOS 51: revision: 0x1300.
Found IOS 10: revision: 0x300.
Found IOS 50: revision: 0x1400.
Found IOS 36: revision: 0xe17.
Found IOS 37: revision: 0x161e.
Found IOS 35: revision: 0xe17.
Found IOS 34: revision: 0xe17.
Found IOS 33: revision: 0xe17.
Found IOS 31: revision: 0xe17.
Found IOS 30: revision: 0xb00.
Found IOS 28: revision: 0x70e.
Found IOS 22: revision: 0x50d.
Found IOS 20: revision: 0x100.
Found IOS 17: revision: 0x407.
Found IOS 15: revision: 0x407.
Found IOS 14: revision: 0x407.
Found IOS 13: revision: 0x407.
Found IOS 12: revision: 0x20d.
Found IOS 11: revision: 0x100.
Found IOS 21: revision: 0x40e.
Found IOS 2: revision: 0x202.
Found IOS 9: revision: 0x40a.
Found IOS 4: revision: 0xff00.
IOS versions: Installer: 0, HBC: 61, DVDX: 36
got no usable IOS for the installer
starting preparationspreparations done!This installer can NOT continue!

There is no known vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii.
Please note that we will not use a fakesigned IOS due to
security reasons.

Look for an updated version at:
http://bootmii.org

If this is already the latest version... well, suck it.

EDIT: loadmii is no option unless somebody with more knowledge than me compiles it in .elf format

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 01:31PM by Floriel.
Re: Wii Menu version 4.3 killing HBC
June 22, 2010 05:03AM
yeah... the same thing happened to me... went to hook up Wii Speak tonight for my girlfriend, came back from the bathroom to a system update in progress (she thought she was just downloading the channel)... watched in horror...

we mainly used HBC to launch Snes9xGX and play Seiken Densetsu 3... is there any way for me to launch the emulator now or am i just hosed..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:04AM by toromei.
June 22, 2010 05:05AM
Please I want to still have homebrew but if there is an update, what stuff is working. Like is cios installer available. Does Bootmii load before screen starts in health screen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:22AM by MarioMan181.
June 22, 2010 05:14AM
It finally happened. Certainly took Nintendo long enough. It seems that most IOSes have been updated, most likely breaking the current Hackmii Installer. Has anyone tested whether Indiana PWNS still works? Also, does it delete anything other than the HBC, and if so, what?

It seems that this update yet again serves no purpose other than to remove homebrew, as that is all Nintendo has said about it.

Nintendo
Wii Menu 4.3

Unauthorized Modifications
Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.

If you are seeing "Error:004," please click here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:23AM by jbc007.
June 22, 2010 05:18AM
MarioMan181
Did it affect the way games were played?
Huh?
MarioMan181
Please I want to still have homebrew but if there is an update, what stuff is working.
Wii Games are working HBC isn't
MarioMan181
Like is cios installer available.
Huh?
MarioMan181
Does Bootmii load before screen starts in health screen?
I don't know if that error message came from bannerbomb or BootMii, but it was the only thing visible, so I think it came from bannerbomb. The error message came from bannerbomb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:49AM by Floriel.
June 22, 2010 06:02AM
Curious as to whether anyone has removed the channel, did the update to 4.3, then reinstalled the channel? Is that even possible? What were your results? Thank you.
June 22, 2010 06:11AM
flayer6
Curious as to whether anyone has removed the channel, did the update to 4.3, then reinstalled the channel? Is that even possible? What were your results? Thank you.

Most likely, the system menu somehow checks for and automatically deletes the Homebrew Channel every time it boots, so that probably would not work with the current version of the HBC. Furthermore, most IOSes have been updated, so the current Hackmii Installer probably no longer works.
June 22, 2010 07:33AM
jbc007
flayer6

Most likely, the system menu somehow checks for and automatically deletes the Homebrew Channel every time it boots, so that probably would not work with the current version of the HBC. Furthermore, most IOSes have been updated, so the current Hackmii Installer probably no longer works.
they could have done what they did before and just block the title. But I don't they were that lazy. As for playing homebrew I think somebody stated you can still use indianaPWNS and just replace the boot.dol file from the HBC installer with the game you want. If you don't want to change the name of he file every time then jus use loadmii.
June 22, 2010 08:10AM
MarioMan181
Please I want to still have homebrew but if there is an update, what stuff is working. Like is cios installer available.
cIOS installers aren't supported here and I doubt they work. The HBC needs a new title ID or it will be deleted. Also, most IOSes have been updated and may not work with the HackMii Installer.
MarioMan181
Does Bootmii load before screen starts in health screen?
BootMii as boot2 should still work. Also, Smash Stack should still work to load homebrew.
June 22, 2010 10:07AM
yeah for some reason my nintendo channnel sent out an update so as always i leave it alone i leave for a min i come back my little sister ison and she was updating it now i want my HBC back can you help and hopefully the come out with a newer version of banner bomb i dont feel like buying another game.:(
Re: Wii Update 4.3
June 22, 2010 03:22PM
I'm able to use WiiSCU to update the Shop Channel, correct? Is it even recommended at this point?
Re: Wii Update 4.3
June 22, 2010 03:31PM
Yeah go ahead, it should work. Make sure you use v0.22, rather than v0.23, which has the Shop Channel version hardcoded as a "fix" for a problem I'm not sure ever truly existed. (I added v0.23, because people complained 0.22 didn't work, but when I released 0.23 many claimed 0.22 worked after all). You may need to update IOS61, but I'm pretty sure you won't, provided you have it installed.

EDIT: If it doesn't work, try dop-SHOP, here: [wiibrew.org]
However, you will need a trucha bugged IOS for dop-SHOP (no reason why though...), whereas you don't for WiiSCU.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 03:35PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login