Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Wii Update 4.3
July 07, 2010 05:52PM
jbc007
Dragon
i dont want to be impatient, but can we have a timeframe in which we can expect homebrew to be up and running on 4.3?

If you want to install homebrew on 4.3 right now, do this. It actually isn't dangerous, and it really does work.

May be even easier now that dop-Mii has been updated and can do the TBR stuff automatically. It should be a case of

"Run dop-Mii 12.1 beta 1 and Select "Install IOS36 w/ Fakesigning" and then follow the guide from "install Priiloader"."

Also, I dunno if HackMii Installer will work with downgraded IOS60, if not, downgrade IOS34 to its most recent revision prior to the 4.3 update.

Finally, it is slightly dangerous as it involves NAND modification, but provided power isn't lost during priiloader installation, other stuff that could go wrong should be fixable.
July 07, 2010 06:20PM
SifJar, didn't Hackmii Installer need only one vulnerable IOS to install HBC? I thought every IOS prior to the 4.3 upgrade was vulnerable. HBC mostly uses IOS 61, so downgrading that one should work, right?
July 07, 2010 06:37PM
SifJar
Finally, it is slightly dangerous as it involves NAND modification, but provided power isn't lost during priiloader installation, other stuff that could go wrong should be fixable.

Forgot about the Priiloader installation. Everything else is completely safe, and installing Priiloader is probably safer than the update itself, so there is nothing to worry about.

Aobx
didn't Hackmii Installer need only one vulnerable IOS to install HBC? I thought every IOS prior to the 4.3 upgrade was vulnerable. HBC mostly uses IOS 61, so downgrading that one should work, right?

The Hackmii Installer usually uses a different IOS than the HBC. The Hackmii Installer must use a vulnerable IOS, but the HBC does not require any IOS exploits. There are several IOSes that the Hackmii Installer can use, but it can not use all of the IOSes released prior the the 4.3 update. Since it frequently uses IOS 34, that is a good one to downgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2010 06:40PM by jbc007.
July 07, 2010 07:04PM
Thanks for answering, jbc. I've read on Wiibrew's wiki that the first release of IOS34 came with an natural trucha bug. Wouldn't it be better downgrading to that one? Or is there some benefit in downgrading to a more recent one?
July 07, 2010 08:07PM
More recent the better as they will be more stable due to the official additions to them. As the revision previous to the current one works with HackMii Installer, its the best one to get as its the most recent vulnerable one.
July 07, 2010 11:36PM
With the exception of IOS 15 and 16, all IOSes released before October 23, 2008 (all IOSes with the trucha bug) do not work on newer ("LU64+") wiis. Although they still would work on old wiis, there is no need to downgrade to such an old version.

I highly doubt that there are any stability improvements made to newer IOS versions (at least most of the time). After all, how often have you noticed games start working better after your wii has been updated? Rather, IOS updates seem to have the sole purpose of fixing exploitable bugs. Notice how all updates released in the past two years have included a complete set of updated IOSes that included a fix for various security bugs, with the exception of 4.1, which was only released to fix non security related bugs. On the other hand, older system updates often did not update existing IOSes.
July 08, 2010 01:00AM
So, even though older Wiis can use any IOS version, it wouldn't be recomendded to get the oldest one just because there's no benefit, while newer IOSes might have a little chance of some improvement?
July 08, 2010 01:55AM
So I updated to 4.3 I wanted to access the shop channel but this was before I knew that there was a way without updating. Now my homebrew is gone :(
Is there any way to get the Homebrew channel back or am I out of luck for now?
July 08, 2010 05:17AM
Aobx
So, even though older Wiis can use any IOS version, it wouldn't be recomendded to get the oldest one just because there's no benefit, while newer IOSes might have a little chance of some improvement?

There is no benefit to having a newer IOS revision. If your wii is old enough to run old IOSes, having the oldest version of IOS 34 is just as good as having the revision released with 4.2. Of course, it doesn't matter if you have the trucha bug in IOS 34, as no homebrew other than the Hackmii Installer runs on IOS 34.

In the case of the other IOSes (really just IOS 36 and the system menu IOS), there is a slight benefit to having the oldest revision. The first revision of IOS 36 and of all lower numbered IOSes has the trucha bug, ES_Identify, and NAND permissions, so there is no need for patches (this does not mean that everything will work right when running on these IOSes; I have tested DOP-Mii with several revisions of several IOSes, but it only seems to work properly when running on cIOS 249). Furthermore, ES_Identify can be called multiple times on these IOSes, which is necessary for AnyTitle Deleter and maybe a few other applications. For these reasons, and because I would rather not unnecessarily patch things, I make a point of using the lowest revisions of most IOSes myself. However, this is not a recomendation that anyone downgrade IOSes, as the benefit is nearly non existant.

FreeRangers
So I updated to 4.3 I wanted to access the shop channel but this was before I knew that there was a way without updating. Now my homebrew is gone :(
Is there any way to get the Homebrew channel back or am I out of luck for now?
jbc007
If you want to install homebrew on 4.3 right now, do this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2010 05:21AM by jbc007.
July 08, 2010 03:58PM
SifJar
jbc007
Dragon
i dont want to be impatient, but can we have a timeframe in which we can expect homebrew to be up and running on 4.3?

If you want to install homebrew on 4.3 right now, do this. It actually isn't dangerous, and it really does work.

May be even easier now that dop-Mii has been updated and can do the TBR stuff automatically. It should be a case of

"Run dop-Mii 12.1 beta 1 and Select "Install IOS36 w/ Fakesigning" and then follow the guide from "install Priiloader"."

Also, I dunno if HackMii Installer will work with downgraded IOS60, if not, downgrade IOS34 to its most recent revision prior to the 4.3 update.

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is there any reason why you can't use dop-Mii to downgrade the System Menu version to 4.1 and hence avoid the problem altogether? Or is this a high-risk option? I've read the docs for dop-Mii and they seem to imply that this should be possible, but didn't want to do anything which might be dangerous.

I'm still kicking myself for upgrading to 4.3 in the first place... I didn't realise Nintendo were so vindictive!

James
July 08, 2010 07:07PM
Downgrading is entirely possible, and can be done safely if you know what you are doing. However, the benefits are almost non existent. Furthermore, if you don't know what you are doing, you can end up with a full brick, either immediately after downgrading or at some point in the future.
July 09, 2010 12:11AM
Thanks for this. I'm waiting to get hold of a copy of Indiana Jones and then I'll give it a go using the suggestions above rather than doing a full downgrade. Any major pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks

James
July 09, 2010 08:16PM
sorry sifjar I know I told u I'll post a picture of the riivolution downgrade but I will still get you that picture. Slover2013
July 10, 2010 03:27AM
Is it 100% sure that Twiizers are working on a new HackMii/ HBC etc????

I just freaked out because I saw the description of the workaround to get the HBC (here:[wiibrew.org]) and it got changed from "None Yet" to "None"!!!

Someone please tell me that they are working on it!!!
July 10, 2010 03:36AM
NintendoFreak

I just freaked out because I saw the description of the workaround to get the HBC (here:[wiibrew.org]) and it got changed from "None Yet" to "None"!!!

Yes they are working on it. They are working to obfuscate their code (in other words, hide the methods they used to bypass the update by inserting random code [more or less]). It will be out when it's done, no release dates are set.
July 10, 2010 03:56AM
bg4545
NintendoFreak

Yes they are working on it. They are working to obfuscate their code (in other words, hide the methods they used to bypass the update by inserting random code [more or less]). It will be out when it's done, no release dates are set.

No wonder it's been taking so long!!! I updated my Wii thinking they would release a work-around by the next day and it's been about 3 weeks!!

I guess I'll just have to wait, I refuse to use those dangerous methods just to get HB on my Wii. I do NOT want to mess up the system's files, etc. The only IOS thing I've done to my Wii is the BootMii, which I deleted before I updated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2010 03:58AM by NintendoFreak.
July 10, 2010 06:17PM
Well you're waiting, you should probably go out and buy a copy of Lego Indiana Jones for Wii as you'll need it to run the future hackmii installer (you can also run homebrew with it while you wait). Alternatively, if you live in North America, you can use a copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
July 10, 2010 07:17PM
Arikado
Well you're waiting, you should probably go out and buy a copy of Lego Indiana Jones for Wii as you'll need it to run the future hackmii installer (you can also run homebrew with it while you wait). Alternatively, if you live in North America, you can use a copy of Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

Is that game even good? I might get it if it's good, but I do live in the US and have Smash Stack set-up and everything, Ive used it to load LoadMii.
July 10, 2010 08:47PM
Well, then, as I said in my previous post, you'll be fine when the new installer comes out since you have smash stack.
July 11, 2010 02:18AM
so, if we arent in America and we have Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we can still use it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login