Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Wii Update 4.3
July 19, 2010 09:01PM
foxy69: Don't mention that crap on these forums again. And definitely don't mention that site again. You have been warned.
July 19, 2010 10:34PM
sorry, i thought we were all one big happy wii community - all working together to get HBC working again!
July 20, 2010 12:07AM
Not exactly. The best way to get HBC working again is wait a couple of weeks (or maybe even less?) for Team Twiizers to update the HackMii Installer. Other methods are simply workarounds, which are long and convoluted and require a load of patching of system files to get it working.
July 20, 2010 02:22AM
Wait so lemme get this straight Bannerbomb is gone forever??? I need that for ACtoolkit, is there any other way to normally run ACtoolkit without bannerbomb? Or is bannerbomb coming back?
July 20, 2010 11:51AM
Bannerbomb is very unlikely to come back. There are two other working exploits: Indiana Pwns and Smash Stack. There is also absolutely NO reason to update to 4.3. You can update the Shop Channel and have it working on 4.2 or whatever SM you're on now, and don't need to update. Or if you already have, you can wait for the new HackMii Installer, install HBC and use it to load ACToolkit, which is far more convenient anyway, and what you should have been doing instead of using bannerbomb everytime.
July 20, 2010 02:24PM
yeah I have updated. So basically, I wait for the new Hackmii installer, and then I have to load the hackmii installer by having one of the games? and do I have to put that game in every time? and then so I just download HBC with the hackmii installler, then the savegame installer and savegame extractor, and then every time I want to load it into my town I put in my memory card? Just trying to get this straight so when it comes out I can do it.
July 20, 2010 04:48PM
Is it unlikely or uncertain if a new sd card exploit (no game needed) will ever show up?
July 20, 2010 05:08PM
I dont know I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna normally use ACtoolkit
July 20, 2010 07:23PM
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and have been reading this since yesterday.
I am also in the same shoes as the people that updated to 4.3.

I understand most of these details now but I have only one question,
When would we know when a new hackmii installer is available?

I have tried using Indiana Pwns it loaded but displays the same hackmii error message
about no vulnerable IOS available.

Will any update be posted in this forum or is there another forum dealing with this?

Thanks and I just want to say you guys are GREAT!
July 20, 2010 08:20PM
Yeah this whole forum has been all over trying to find news about the new hackmii installer.

I just want to know how HBC will be operated when its going to be loaded with brawl. Because I need to install the browse, will I be able to do that once the new Hackmii comes out?
July 20, 2010 08:24PM
Aobx
Is it unlikely or uncertain if a new sd card exploit (no game needed) will ever show up?

Unlikely. There are few "exploit vectors" (i.e. potential features to exploit) remaining that don't require a game. Basically all I can think of as places where files are loaded from SD card (and can therefore be manipulated) are: Data Management (channels and saves) and Photo Channel. As channel Data Management has already been exploited in the main possible exploit vector (i.e. banner), its unlikely there'll be another one there, or probably in saves either. Which leaves Photo Channel. AFAIK, it can only load JPEGs (although this may be wrong), which I believe are a fairly stable format. I don't know whether Nintendo used a well known library or wrote their own to handle the images, but if the former, you could look for bugs in popular JPEG libraries. If the later, finding them could be trickier.

abiodun110
Hi guys, I am new to this forum and have been reading this since yesterday.
I am also in the same shoes as the people that updated to 4.3.

I understand most of these details now but I have only one question,
When would we know when a new hackmii installer is available?

I have tried using Indiana Pwns it loaded but displays the same hackmii error message
about no vulnerable IOS available.

Will any update be posted in this forum or is there another forum dealing with this?

Thanks and I just want to say you guys are GREAT!

It will be announced on [www.hackmii.com], as well as [www.wiibrew.org], and it will probably get a mention here too.

Mickster589
Yeah this whole forum has been all over trying to find news about the new hackmii installer.

I just want to know how HBC will be operated when its going to be loaded with brawl. Because I need to install the browse, will I be able to do that once the new Hackmii comes out?

When a new installer is released, the installer will be loaded via brawl or lego indiana jones, and then HBC will be installed on the Wii as before. No homebrew will be affected in its usability. All homebrew will still work just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 08:26PM by SifJar.
July 22, 2010 03:44AM
Supposing I still have Bootmii in system menu 4.3, I could downgrade to 4.1 or 4.2 using Comex Nand Formatter, couldn't I? Is there any other MINI app that I could use too?
July 22, 2010 04:41AM
Although that would work, downgrading from 4.3 does not require Bootmii or Comex's NAND Formatter. Provided it is run on IOS 41, TBR can be used to trucha patch IOS 36. Then the downgrade can be performed with your preferred tool. However, downgrading is usually a bad idea. In most cases, it may be "better" to patch system menu 4.3 using Priiloader.
July 22, 2010 05:46PM
Yeah, I know that. It's just I'm curious about every solution, even the less recommended ones.

I don't know if it's supported, probably not, because I've seen it used for piracy, but there's a kind of a custom boot2, you should know what I'm talking about. The fact it's using MINI means it can bypass IOSes protections, so it's a kind of exploit to be used, isn't it?
July 22, 2010 06:45PM
What do you mean "it's a kind of exploit to be used"? What that tool does is it loads most of an IOS from the NAND, with some modules or something from SD, and a few patches, and then, provided IOS is not reloaded, that IOS can do pretty much anything. But its no use for a previously unmodified Wii, as you need to have BootMii installed. And its much easier to use TBR. The other tool is very hard to setup legally, as it relies on v2 of boot2, so you need to either download it illegally or rip it from a disc you own (its not on NUS).
July 22, 2010 06:56PM
Aobx
Yeah, I know that. It's just I'm curious about every solution, even the less recommended ones.

I don't know if it's supported, probably not, because I've seen it used for piracy, but there's a kind of a custom boot2, you should know what I'm talking about. The fact it's using MINI means it can bypass IOSes protections, so it's a kind of exploit to be used, isn't it?

If your talking what i'm thinking your talking about. No, its only used for downgrading purposes (boot2 related) if for some reason you can't. Plus if you can't run Bootmii as boot2 you can't run that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 07:00PM by SolidMario7.
July 23, 2010 01:26AM
Thanks for answers, SifJar and SolidMario.

By "it's a kind of an exploit" I really meant "a kind", "sort of", not really an exploit, because from the uses I've seen, it can have the same final results than using a real exploit like Indiana Pwns or Smash Stack. I don't know if we are talking about the same tool, maybe I can tell you through PM, but not here, it can really be used to piracy so I won't spread it. But I think this one is known by SifJar and it's the one he's talking about.

The author says it does not work with the new boot1. That has to do with downgrading boot2, right? Since new boot1 checks the signature of boot2 every time it boots, and downgrades can only be fakesigned. In this case, it's pretty less usable than I thought. There are more and more users with the new boot1.
July 23, 2010 04:01AM
I have a question.

If I still have System Menu 4.2, can I still use Bannerbomb to update to the new version of BootMii when it is released?
July 23, 2010 06:23AM
Elija2
I have a question.

If I still have System Menu 4.2, can I still use Bannerbomb to update to the new version of BootMii when it is released?
yes
July 23, 2010 06:59AM
@Aobx: The tool about which you speak has nothing to do with downgrading boot2, or anything else for the matter. Although originally it only worked with Bootmii/boot2 (therefore only working on wiis that had boot1b or boot1a), it now also works with Bootmii/IOS. This tool really is only useful for fixing bricks on a wii that has Bootmii/boot2, but for what ever reason restoring a NAND backup is not an option (when simply trucha patching an IOS, TBR is easier to use).

I am curious why this tool is not supported here. Legally obtaining Boot2 v2 is not difficult, and to my knowledge this tool has nothing else of questionable legality. I certainly don't see how it is any worse than TBR.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login