Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

blocking updates

Posted by Kamiyama 
blocking updates
June 30, 2010 11:16PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way to block updates without turning wiiconnect24 off? I have done some searches and one forum mentioned starfall, but I can't look at that until I get the homebrew channel back. So I wanted to ask, is there a homebrew utility that keeps you from receiving update messages, or stops the update process from happening? I just wanted to know, so I don't inadvertently lose the homebrew channel again. If necessary, I would turn wiiconnect off, but I like to use some of the online features too. Thank you for any information you can provide!
Re: blocking updates
June 30, 2010 11:23PM
First off, WiiConnect24 does not and will not do automatic updates. Also, if you have WiiConnect24 on, turn off the standby mode (orange power light), as that's both a waste of electricity, and the wi-fi will fry the GPU, leaving to either artifacts (dead pixels) or distorted graphics.

Also, best thing to prevent updates is common sense. Nintendo cannot force you to update. If you get an update message, just delete it. If a retail disk comes with an update (current one that's safe is Super Mario Galaxy 2), either do the update after researching if the update is safe or run it through GeckoOS.

If you want to run homebrew on 4.3, SifJar has posted a method to bypass security and run the Hackmii installer through Smash Stack, and it includes methods of Priiloader to block the security checks. Priiloader also blocks the update messages. Here's a link to the post .

[forum.wiibrew.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 11:31PM by Mestizo.
June 30, 2010 11:42PM
Well yeah I know it doesn't force updates, I just don't want to inadvertently do it again. Sifjar's method looks a little complicated, I am hoping that team twiizers releases a new homebrew installer soon. I really just wanted to know if there is a homebrew app that blocks the update messages, maybe even prevents them from running. It would just be convienient, thats all.
June 30, 2010 11:48PM
As I said, Priiloader can install a patch to block updates (retail and internet). If you need to do an update for some reason, just run Priiloader and disable the patch.
June 30, 2010 11:56PM
TBH, I don't really advise using that method, especially if you think it looks complicated. I posted it more as something of interest for more experienced users, than a actual fix guide for n00bs.
July 01, 2010 12:13AM
Thanks for the feedback! I've been reading about priiloader and preloader in the wiibrew wiki, it looks pretty cool. I think I will try it out when I get the HBC back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login