Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should I downgrade to 3.2? and escaping 3.4?

Posted by bg4m3r 
Should I downgrade to 3.2? and escaping 3.4?
December 22, 2008 02:03PM
Ok, I apologize if this is redundant and/or stupid qiestions, but I'd rather deal with your flames than a homebrew resistant Wii! :P

First, I'm currently running firmware 3.3U, but while I was investigating what to do if a homebrew free Wii has 3.4 on it, I found some stuff about Starfall and the fact that it only works under system 3.2. The part about skipping update checks in particular sounded like it would be a good thing, if nothing else. Should I make getting this a priority? I currently have the HBC and the Mii and Shop Channel update patches installed and haven't had any problems with anything thus far. Just not sure if I should risk rocking the boat to get Starfall installed or not.

I'm giving a friend the gift of homebrew for Christmas (2GB SD card loaded up with homebrew goodies), and I don't know if he's got 3.4 installed already or not. He probably doesn't, but I wanted to be able to have a plan of action in the event that he does. What's the best/safest way to remedy this problem? Links to already existing threads would be fine. I searched, but didn't find anything definitive, so I thought I would confer with those more experienced with this than myself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 12:56PM by bg4m3r.
Re: Should I downgrade to 3.2? and escaping 3.4?
December 22, 2008 05:03PM
First, the only flamming you'll get is over the Backup bit... there is no way we can know if you are actually saving the originals from your kids or just pirating the games... so edit that part out of your post... and I'll edit this art out of mine!

cool Christmas present... be sure to teach him how to use all of that too.. If you wanna make it custom looking, check here!

I have 3.3 and am doing good so far... I'll downgrade to use starfall when I get a game with an update on it. But it is up to use...
If you decide to update, use Tona's anyregion changer and select YOUR REGION! that is the only "dangerous" part... selecting your current region.
December 23, 2008 01:02PM
Thanks for the tips...that's a pretty sweet looking SD card. :)
I'll probably wait for a need to use starfall before I go messing with downgrading...maybe starfall will be able to work with 3.3 by then too.

Still a bit unsure on dealing with a Wii with 3.4 on it though. :/
December 23, 2008 05:39PM
well, try to find out what system menu he has..
If it 3.4 I would downgrade him...

thanks...I like my SD card too...
December 24, 2008 07:43PM
I figured he would have to downgrade, but I don't know much about that, especially with 3.4. Can I just use the cIOS Downgrader? Wasn't sure if it was blocked or not.
December 24, 2008 08:28PM
Safest way to downgrade.
December 24, 2008 10:06PM
DrLucky
First, the only flamming you'll get is over the Backup bit... there is no way we can know if you are actually saving the originals from your kids or just pirating the games... so edit that part out of your post... and I'll edit this art out of mine!

cool Christmas present... be sure to teach him how to use all of that too.. If you wanna make it custom looking, check here!

I have 3.3 and am doing good so far... I'll downgrade to use starfall when I get a game with an update on it. But it is up to use...
If you decide to update, use Tona's anyregion changer and select YOUR REGION! that is the only "dangerous" part... selecting your current region.

You don't need Starfall to skip the update partition! You can just use Gecko OS! That's how I am able to play Brawl!
December 24, 2008 11:14PM
Yes, but Starfall makes it more convenient.
December 25, 2008 12:40AM
yeah, I hate having to boot through Gecko
December 26, 2008 06:55PM
Arikado
Safest way to downgrade.

Okay, good to know.

strongfan
You don't need Starfall to skip the update partition! You can just use Gecko OS! That's how I am able to play Brawl!

I see, but I thought Brawl only bumped you up to 3.3? Or does it just up you to the current version if you don't have at least 3.3?
December 26, 2008 11:14PM
bg4m3r
Arikado
Safest way to downgrade.

Okay, good to know.

strongfan

I see, but I thought Brawl only bumped you up to 3.3? Or does it just up you to the current version if you don't have at least 3.3?
Actually, tonas anyregionchanger is preffered to downgrade to 3.2U, but only if you're no higher than 3.3v1.

As for brawl, it "updated" me from 3.1 to 3.1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 11:16PM by Arikado.
December 30, 2008 04:49PM
Arikado
Actually, tonas anyregionchanger is preffered to downgrade to 3.2U, but only if you're no higher than 3.3v1.

As for brawl, it "updated" me from 3.1 to 3.1

I see, I will probably throw that on the SD card too then, just to be prepared for anything.

Just to be sure that I'm clear, if he does actually have 3.4 (which I doubt, he doesn't play his Wii a lot since he has a 360 and PS3 and plays FFXI a lot, cause he's lame :P), I can still get the HBC installed via twilight hack? I know there's a seperate version for 3.4.

Thanks for everyones input, you've been most helpful! :)

Oh yeah, one last thing...can a copied Zelda save co-exist on the same SD as the TH, or will it overwrite when it copies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 05:39PM by bg4m3r.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login