Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feeling stupid about DVD movie playback

Posted by computerslayer 
Feeling stupid about DVD movie playback
August 14, 2010 08:24PM
When I first got my Wii, I dutifully updated the system to make sure it was running the latest & greatest. It wasn't until later that I found out about HomeBrew & co.

So, last night I spent several hours reading [a fail guide] and carefully following the instructions. I have successfully installed the Homebrew channel and am at system menu 4.1U.

My problem now comes with playing dvds (the point for me in the process). The newest version of the Homebrew channel (1.08) indicates that " HBC now has the ??HW_AHBPROT flags set for direct hardware access, thus replacing DVDX. ". This sounds like good news. The frustration I'm running into is that MPlayer CE (0.77 r590) and WiiMC (1.0.6) both freeze up when trying to read a DVD movie.

I have one of the white Wiis - Model RVL-001, which I think means it has the hardware capability. So I must have something missing on the software end. For the life of me I can't figure out what. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 09:05PM by SifJar.
Re: Feeling stupid about DVD movie playback
August 14, 2010 09:07PM
Neither of those apps have yet received updates to work with HW_AHBPROT flags instead of DVDX. Apps need to be individually updated to work with the new standard. Anyway, WiiMC should be updated soon and then you'll be able to play DVDs. I'd say you shouldn't have to wait more than a couple of days :)
August 14, 2010 10:24PM
Thanks Jonny! Nice to know I'm not doing anything wrong (other than being impatient....)
August 16, 2010 07:13AM
WiiMC 1.07 has been released and it works with the HW_AHBPROT flags very nicely!
August 26, 2010 04:01AM
I'm been having problems with MPlayer CE. I've loaded a couple Tv series on to my WD HDD and plug it into the Wii through USB and play the movies through MPlayer. The problem I'm having is that at some point while watching the shows they start to skip (generally 20-40 minutes) through an episode. I've saved files in different formats and tried watching other videos but not matter what the video starts to get very choppy. Any suggestions?
August 26, 2010 05:27AM
I think I've had that problem, it may just be a bug in MplayerCE, try using WiiMC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login