Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Problem, Weird Question

Posted by pretikewl 
Weird Problem, Weird Question
August 18, 2010 09:07PM
I don't believe this post is breaking the rules, if so, then mods feel free to delete.

My friend's softmodded Wii is on system menu 4.0u. My chipped/softmodded Wii is on system menu 4.2u.

Recently, my friend asked me to help with compatibility with some newer games. I agreed to help by explaining that you don't need to upgrade the system menu, just the IOS's (which I believe to be true, correct me if I'm wrong).

I ran a Dop-mii system report of my Wii (4.2u) since I have no problems playing any game I throw at it. I loaded up my friends Wii and proceeded to use Dop-mii to update any of the IOS's that were different than mine. This isn't the problem. Games play just fine on my friend's Wii.

Before I upgraded the IOS's, I could put a game into my friends Wii and you would see it come up in the Disc Channel. Granted, you couldn't start the game that way, but it was nice to see that the Wii recognized the disc. After I did the upgrades, it doesn't recognize the discs anymore (but again, games play just fine).

So after all this explanation, my question is, does anyone know which IOS and version of it I'd need to make it so the Wii would show the disc in the Disc Channel again?

Thanks.
Re: Weird Problem, Weird Question
August 19, 2010 04:16AM
just update the HBC, then do an official nintendo update... you'll be good to go.
August 20, 2010 04:18PM
I believe that by 'soft-modded' he means that his friend's wii is enabled to load back-ups. Of course by doing the official update he'd lost that functionality.

Although he is installing vanilla IOSes on a system with already installed cIOSes, I don't think people here will be very keen to provide him help for those purposes.

I think that the main problem is that as the IOSes you installed are newer versions than the ones used by SysMenu 4.0 there is some kind of uncompatibility. I don't know if you stubbed IOS70 and installed IOS80, but don't expect your Wii to work correctly if you manually update your IOS/System Menu, and even more if you don't know exactly what you are doing. This is the dumbest thing to do. Be glad that at least the games still play.
August 20, 2010 08:27PM
@ mdbrim
Take your own advice.

@ Axel
So the short of it is, if my friend wants to retain his softmod abilities, I shouldn't be using Dop-mii to install IOS's then? I should only be using CIOS's instead?

Luckily, I do have a NAND backup of my friend's vanilla Wii before the softmod with only Bootmii installed. So I guess I can restore it and go from there. I always thought using Dop-mii and it's patches was the safe thing to do...?
August 20, 2010 08:39PM
pretikewl
So the short of it is, if my friend wants to retain his softmod abilities, I shouldn't be using Dop-mii to install IOS's then? I should only be using CIOS's instead?

Although everything you just mentioned is unsupported here, it is exactly what you should do if you wish to have all sorts of problems with your wii, quite possibly to the point that your wii becomes essentially useless. However, if this is not your desire, you really should take mdbrim's advice.

mdbrim
just update the HBC, then do an official nintendo update... you'll be good to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 08:40PM by jbc007.
August 20, 2010 08:54PM
LOL - softmod, DOP-Mii and cIOS all in different parts of the same sentence :)

Prettykewl:

I am very sorry but you will not get any more help for these purposes in these forums. However, just keep in mind that upgrading/downgrading IOSes manually is one of the most dangerous things to do and can certainly brick your Wii. Each System Menu version looks for specific IOSes that you could have either stubbed out or replaced by a version which the installed System Menu does not support.

If your friend and you really want to mantain the softmod capabilities (something not supported here either), leave it as it is, unless you really understand what each IOS is for.

Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest you to restore the backup you made with bootmii and start from there by upgrading through official update. Of course you will lose the softmod but you will be able to play the newest games on the console, and will also still be able to install homebrew using the latest version of HackMii installer (and this is supported here).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 08:57PM by Axel.
August 20, 2010 10:43PM
Currently, my friend's Wii has no problems playing games. The original question I asked was purely for aesthetic reasons (having the wii recognize the disc when inserted). Since I've posted this, I went back and restored the NAND and the Wii is showing games when inserted again.

My intent wasn't for piracy or any "rule breaking" here on the forums. It honestly was one of understanding the IOS's and how they work (and how not to do any damage to the wii). Thanks for the info Axel and jbc007. I'll take more precaution in the future about upgrading IOS's.
August 21, 2010 06:22AM

@ mdbrim
Take your own advice.

uh, that makes no sense... i do...

The original question I asked was purely for aesthetic reasons

then my advice would have fixed your problem... so sorry for trying to help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2010 06:23AM by mdbrim.
August 21, 2010 02:44PM
mdbrim has given you the answer to your problem. Follow his advice; I see no reason to bother myself with reading any prolonged discussion.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.