Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DVDX v2

Posted by HelpMiii 
DVDX v2
August 25, 2010 01:47AM
please help me. it seems in order to get psx games on dvd to play on the Wii i need this DVDX V2 program thing... I'm not sure where to get it, where to install it, or even if I have to. Sorry to say but I'm not sure what verison of Homebrew I have so if someone could tell me how I can check that and a tutorial to how to install DVDX V2 i would really appreciate it. Thank you
Re: DVDX v2
August 25, 2010 03:56PM
DVDx is obsolete as of current homebrew status. It has been replaced by better applications, so you will not find any updated installer for it.

If the PSX emulator you are using still requires DVDx it means that it is outdated, so you should either update it to a newer version or switch to a more recently updated emulator that doesn't require DVDx.

It is important to us that you provide us additional information if you seek for additional help, such as:

Your Wii region (US/PAL/KR/JP)
Your Wii System Menu version (latest is 4.3)
Your Homebrew Channel version (displayed at the HBC when you press home)
August 25, 2010 05:04PM
Well thanks replying. Lemme shed light on the situation. The Wiisx itself works version Beta 2, it's just I want it to play from DVD-R disc instead of reading it of the ISO from my SD card. And when I was reading in how to do that,m it said that I needed DVDX V2. Again not sure where to get that, how to install it and so on. So I'll just provide the information and hope you could really help me out. Thanks.

My Wii is version 4.0U and my HBC is version 1.0.7
August 25, 2010 05:08PM
Also another note, I'm not sure how to update my system safely. (sorry I'm a noob) Kinda worried about bricking my Wii. So if it is a necessity could you please guide me or link me to a tutorial where it shows how to safely upgrade the system?
August 25, 2010 05:54PM
There is zero point in updating, but if you really want to do so, the safest way is through the official update, provided you have the latest HBC.

Anyway, Axel answered your question: DVDx is outdated and emulators need to be updated to make use of the new standard method of accessing DVDs. Go bug the developer if they haven't updated it yet.
August 25, 2010 08:09PM
So the easiest solution is to wait until the developers of the emulator have a new solution to playing the games off DVD for this new method?
August 25, 2010 10:13PM
Yes, you must wait for someone to make the emulator compatible with the new method.
Also note that PS1 games come in CDs not DVDs. If you were to use a DVD you would need to make it a data DVD with ISOs stored on it.
August 25, 2010 10:14PM
Yes, well, that is our recommendation. Progressively all homebrew that is still supported by their authors should start moving on to the new method of accessing DVD data. If the devs of said emulator have not coded it already, they should be doing it by now, and if they are not, then you should ask them to do it.

There is not much point on installing DVDx at this point when it has already become obsolete and unused by the homebrew. But just to satisfy your curiosity, DVDx v2 came included with the HackMii installer 0.6, which included HBC 1.0.6. If you still want to go ahead and install it, you must get a copy of the HackMii installer 0.6.

As of HackMii installer 0.7, it became obsolete and is no longer included in the package.
August 26, 2010 02:53AM
If you don't want to wait for an update to the emulator, there is no reason not to use DVDx for now. To download Hackmii Installer 0.6, go to [bootmii.org]. Click the download link; in the middle of the URL you will see v0.8. Change the 8 to a 6 and it will let you download the older installer. Keep in mind that if you update to 4.3, this installer will not work and DVDx will be deleted.
August 26, 2010 05:21AM
kkk well thanks a bundle guys =D.. and to get DVDX V2 all i havta do is downgrade to HBC 1.0.6? like i normally did for 1.0.7?
August 26, 2010 06:05AM
You do not need to downgrade the HBC. You only need to install DVDx.
August 26, 2010 09:28PM
sorry. you've got me confused. So i download the HBC 1.0.6 and only install the DVDX.. which is DVDX V2 right?
August 26, 2010 09:32PM
and sorry. i don't see a URL.. When i click download a window opens up and i can't change it... help please :(
August 26, 2010 09:33PM
No. Download the Hackmii Installer v0.6 (it is capable of installing HBC 1.0.6, but you don't need to install the older HBC). Use this installer to install DVDx.

Helpmii
and sorry. i don't see a URL.. When i click download a window opens up and i can't change it... help please :(

What you need to do may depend on your web browser; in Firefox, opening the download link in a new tab works for me. Just find the URL and make the necessary change. I can't give you the URL, as it changes regularly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 09:37PM by jbc007.
August 26, 2010 09:51PM
hmm k thanks I've got the installer for 0.6.. can you please do a step by step guide in guiding me to install it? i really dont want to do anything stupid and brick my wii =(
August 26, 2010 09:58PM
Run the Hackmii Installer v0.6 and select install DVDx. This is just like installing the HBC, except you select install DVDx rather than install HBC. There isn't really anything you could do wrong.
August 26, 2010 10:28PM
okay so i've done all this.. does this mean i can burn psx games on dvds and play them off my wii?
August 26, 2010 10:29PM
In order to run the installer, copy the boot.elf file into a new folder inside your sd:\apps folder. Then insert the SD into your Wii and use your current HBC to run it as with any other app.

If in the installer it says that DVDx is already installed, uninstall it and install it again. There is a stub channel released from nintendo in an attempt to remove DVDx from all consoles.
August 26, 2010 10:31PM
HelpMiii
okay so i've done all this.. does this mean i can burn psx games on dvds and play them off my wii?

Yes, in theory you should :)

Use DVD-R and burn them in JOLIET format.
August 26, 2010 10:38PM
umm is there a guide for doing that ?:$ haha sorry. i always thought i was as simple as burning and playing wii games.. btw is there a way to put more than one game on a dvd-r disc?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.