Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metroid: Other M wants to update 4.3 to 4.3?!

Posted by GeltonZ 
Metroid: Other M wants to update 4.3 to 4.3?!
August 31, 2010 11:51PM
Okay, THIS is weird. I just updated my Wii at the beginning of the month to 4.3 so I could use the shop channel (I only use HBC for loading imports) and I JUST grabbed a Metroid Other M and it...wants to update anyway!

So, I checked the Shop Chanel and...NO UPDATE! ONLY Other M is demanding an update.

Now, that said, I checked the HBC and just installed IT'S latest update to 1.08.

So then...is that update SPECIFICALLY designed to get me around the special Other M update or...what's the deal here?! Other M wants me to update from 4.3 to 4.3!

Does...anyone know what's going on here?!
Re: Metroid: Other M wants to update 4.3 to 4.3?!
September 01, 2010 02:40AM
It's nothing to worry about. I got Metroid: Other M at around 11, popped it in at noon, ran the update. I still had Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 and Wii System Menu 4.3. All it seems to do is install some missing optional channels (Check Mii Out, Everyone Votes, etc).
September 01, 2010 03:49AM
Mestizo
It's nothing to worry about. I got Metroid: Other M at around 11, popped it in at noon, ran the update. I still had Homebrew Channel 1.0.8 and Wii System Menu 4.3. All it seems to do is install some missing optional channels (Check Mii Out, Everyone Votes, etc).

Does it install all of the optional channels, or just the ones you mentioned? I'm just wondering if Nintendo will start pushing all of the free Wii channels.
September 01, 2010 05:18AM
I saw an instance where the Nintendo, Internet, Check Mii Out, and Everyone Votes channels were installed. I think it was because I had like 300 spare blocks at the time. If you don't want them, just delete them through data management.
September 01, 2010 04:06PM
As far as we know, Metroid Other M does not include additional/updated IOSes.

It will most likely only install those missing free channels. What I don't know is if you delete them, it will ask you to update again, that would make those channels non-optional for most users who don't know how to circumvent the disc update.

But don't worry, if you update with the disc it will not remove anything from your homebrew given you are in 4.3 already.
September 01, 2010 06:25PM
It seems completely ridiculous to me that they are forcing those extra channels on people, considering that most people who don't have them probably either don't have internet, so can't make any use of them, or else has made a decision NOT to download them, because they feel they're useless and not worth wasting space on. In the first instance, I guess it doesn't matter about wasting space, as those people can't have VC or WW games.
September 01, 2010 06:40PM
SifJar
It seems completely ridiculous to me that they are forcing those extra channels on people, considering that most people who don't have them probably either don't have internet, so can't make any use of them, or else has made a decision NOT to download them, because they feel they're useless and not worth wasting space on. In the first instance, I guess it doesn't matter about wasting space, as those people can't have VC or WW games.

I completely agree with you.

My first thought was... ok maybe they included the channels so those people without internet connection can have them installed, on second thougth I realized, why on earth would they want those channels if they don't have internet connection? They are useless to them!

On a third thought I said to myself: Those channels are useless to anyone! LOL
September 01, 2010 10:15PM
Well I doubt it would make you install them after you deleted them, maybe it just installs for those who don't have the ticket?
September 01, 2010 10:33PM
Probably, yes. But for people who chose not to install them in the first place, it'd still force installation.
September 01, 2010 11:09PM
Rumours telling the game installs korean ios against the use of TBR (that's for NTSC-J version though)
September 01, 2010 11:14PM
Oh, sneaky. But can't say it was unexpected. Presumably it installs the latest versions of all the Korean IOS? Anyway, with HW_AHBPROT, that workaround should be unnecessary :) I'm surprised they haven't pushed those IOS to other regions on NUS yet.
September 02, 2010 01:46PM
Actually, I think the reason they're giving them to people is for those who cannot access The Shop Channel? :|
September 02, 2010 03:53PM
Luigi886
Actually, I think the reason they're giving them to people is for those who cannot access The Shop Channel? :|

?? How would that help?
September 02, 2010 06:37PM
Luigi886

i.e. people who haven't updated their wii i.e. people who either don't have wifi (so have no use of the channels) or have homebrew (and ninty don't want to encourage them NOT to update)
September 04, 2010 02:16AM
SifJar
Luigi886

i.e. people who haven't updated their wii i.e. people who either don't have wifi (so have no use of the channels) or have homebrew (and ninty don't want to encourage them NOT to update)

How is that any better? is it because they want to convince them to go out and buy an ethernet adapter for their wii, so they can get all their AW3X0M3 F34TURZZZZ? (translation: awesome features, spoken sarcastically in leet)
sorry... those channels just really suck....and it does seem like a ploy to get you to buy something so you'll hook your wii to the internet, and more than likely browse the shop channel, and buy something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login