Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adventures in... "Custom Channel Land"

Posted by Magil 
Adventures in... "Custom Channel Land"
September 09, 2010 09:22PM
I don't think I've said it before, but... you just gotta love my epic thread titles =P.

Anyways... I just went ahead and installed a forwarder made by Leathl for the SNES9x emulator. Wasn't too hard to get setup... and when I finally saw it in the system menu, it wasn't all that great. But alas, who was I to complain if I couldn't make channels myself. And I would finally have a channel for SNES9x, since we've been waiting (and believe me, there are several with me on this) for Tantric to release his version.

I decided to launch it... but then got an illegible error, from which all I could make out was "Press HOME to exit", which I did and kicked me back to the System Menu.
Now, I'm a bit pissed off at this, and wanted to get rid of the channel. But... before I go around doing something stupid, I wanted to ask: what is the best way to get rid of it? Using AnyTitleDeleter, or just through the Wii's own native File manager?

And before people start yelling at me: yes, I do have Priiloader for bannerbrick recovery. So far, no bannerbricks (not that I've risked much, given that I've only installed forwarders for VBA GX and FCE made by Tantric... which almost bricked me anyways -__-;;).

Insight would be very much apreciated (or if you're an IRC regular, feel free to shout at me there instead).
Re: Adventures in... "Custom Channel Land"
September 09, 2010 09:29PM
Just navigate to the system settings and delete the channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 09:29PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
September 09, 2010 09:32PM
Thought so. Last question though... should I delete the channel through those means, could I then install a different forwarder for the same emulator with the title ID without any conflicts?

Forgive my ignorance, but as a fellow homebrewer, I want to learn how the Wii works, so in the future I can go around helping noobs like me.
September 09, 2010 09:40PM
Yes, you can.
September 09, 2010 10:30PM
Deleting it through system settings will mean there are still traces (i.e. ticket) of the channel in the system. This can be avoided by using AnyTitle Deleter to delete the channel. However, there is no real harm of having the ticket there, and it won't stop you installing another channel with same title ID in future. AnyTitle Deleter requires a very old or patched IOS, so I can't really advise using it as its a hassle to get working, is more dangerous than using the system settings, offers no real benefit, and requires patching system files.
September 09, 2010 11:33PM
SifJar, AnyTitle Deleter will remove the channel tickets, but will leave some traces of its own.

I think that, in any case, it is better to leave the channel ticket lying out there than AnyTitle Deleter traces...

Just go safe and delete the channel using the Wii's file management settings.
September 09, 2010 11:43PM
What traces does ATD leave? (Never heard of this before today, when I read it in another thread...)
September 10, 2010 12:08AM
Here, it is an old one:

[hackmii.com]

Basically it is adding IOS0 and some TMD tickets which can not be removed by itself.

Read through the comments, some more details are given by Bushing answers there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 12:08AM by Axel.
September 10, 2010 04:38AM
If you want to completely get rid of it, but you also want to avoid the ticket left by AnyTitle Deleter (though this really does not matter), go find a WAD with the same title ID as your custom channel. Then use a WAD installer to uninstall this WAD.
September 10, 2010 09:59PM
I might do that some time in the future. I thank the highly informative answer you gave me. Read for about 2 hours (I don't like going to hackmii.com for the same reason: I can spend 2-4 hours reading stuff over there and forget eveything else in the world =P.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 10:55PM by Magil.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login