Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disabling updates

Posted by lorddunlow 
Disabling updates
September 09, 2010 10:36PM
Does anyone know if there is any way to disable the update checks of various apps (esp. HBC). I am currently on HBC 1.0.6 and I am very happy with my current setup. I'm sure I will eventually update HBC and all of my apps, but I would rather do it when I want/need to rather than have to constantly decline the updates when I start up the HBC. It would be nice if TT (and the other developers for their own apps) would add an option to disable update checking, but I'm sure there is a way for me to do it myself. If anyone could help out, I would appreciate it.

p.s. Please don't post "it's safe to update and recommended" blah, blah, blah. I don't wish to update at this time and it's annoying to be bugged about it EVERY time I boot up HBC or an app.
Re: Disabling updates
September 09, 2010 11:43PM
Give one good reason why you want to disable auto-updating in HBC and I will tell you how to stop it. If you say "latest HBC won't let me use cIOS" or something crap like that, be prepared to be laughed at. HBC does not, never has and almost definitely never will stop you running any application you choose.
September 09, 2010 11:57PM
Add a proxy to your router to block access to the update servers. Update alerts won't pop-up if the applications can not connect to their respective update servers.

Alternatively, open the applications while you are not connected to the internet :)
September 10, 2010 01:49AM
SifJar: I know that you guys get bombarded with lots of idiots who don't know what they're talking about, but this tone is what has made me read/contribute less to this board than I did several months ago (not that I contributed much, but I did read a lot). I simply don't want or have any need for any new features (theming, etc.), nor are any of my apps not performing as I expect them to, so I don't want to bother with any problems (bugs, minor incompatibilities, etc.) that could possibly arise due to updating. I did the same thing with 1.0.5 (and actually skipped it entirely because 1.0.6 was out by the time I updated) but eventually upgraded to System Menu 4.2, HBC 1.0.6, the whole shebang without issue. While the chances of this are slight with an update, the chances are zero by not updating. Also, while I do plan on updating eventually, I am concerned about the possible USB 2 speed issue (that has been reported -- I don't know if it has been substantiated, so please don't flame me for that -- it is just a concern I have) with the IOS 58 USB module. Thanks for any help.

Axel: thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 02:06AM by lorddunlow.
September 10, 2010 04:32AM
If for whatever reason you don't like HBC 1.0.8 (as unlikely as that is), you can always reinstall HBC 1.0.6. If fact, both revisions can be installed at the same time. In answer to your original question, the HBC does not have a setting to prevent the update check. If you are determined to disable it, Axel's suggestion is really your only option. However, it isn't exactly practical.
September 10, 2010 11:23PM
Thanks to those who helped. It's not that I don't think I won't like it, it's just every update of any program introduces a few bugs, many of which will only affect a small percentage of users. Many times have I updated, say, an emulator only to have some glitch cause problems (which are usually fixed quickly). I just have taken the stance of if ain't broke, don't fix it. I like updating on my schedule. I also realize that I won't be likely to get support for out of date software, but I don't feel that I will need it. If I run into a problem that I can't troubleshoot on my own, I'll update and then post here if the problem still remains.

I can read through the documentation of each app to find the various update servers, but is there anywhere where a quicklist of popular apps' update server addresses could be found? Again, I can find them myself, so don't flame me for asking someone to make life easier. If no one wants to help, I can do it myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login