Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminum hats 'n coat hangers... and why I think the ninty cops are out to get me (oh noez)!!!

Posted by Magil 
Reading the manual got me nowhere... googling it would lead me towards non-related topics... to be brief, I don't understand the Wii's behaviour when it's connected to the internet.

I mean... if the Wii is connected to the internet, while WiiConnect24 is disabled, does it remain connected while in Standby mode (orange light in Power button)? Or is that supposed to only happen while WiiConnect24 is on?

Also: if the Wii is connected without WC24, will it update on it's own without my consent? Or will it only happen if WC24 is on?

I'm really paranoid about even connecting it to the internet (watching the dreaded "System Update is availble" always seems to succesfully freak me out), but I'm also getting pretty tired about having to set it up manually each time I need to use it. But if there's danger in leaving it connected to the internet while it's off, then I'd just bare with it and stop whining.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for the noobishness of my questions.
Your confusion is well set; as far as I know, WiiConnect24 is still rather nebulous. However, the chances of Ninty forcing an upgrade without any user input is legally questionable, even if you've agreed to their Terms and Conditions (EULA's, like prenuptial agreements, can have no legal baring even if agreed to on both sides), they would have a hard time getting away with it.

Anyone else can feel free to fill in my gaps, cause i'm sure there are many.
If you're paranoid about losing homebrew, just run the update. There's nothing in the update that affects a majority of the homebrew (unless you have Bootmii as a boot2). Also, if you have WiiConnect24 on, turn off standby, as that's a waste of electricity, and it could fry the GPU. Also, keep in mind that Nintendo cannot force your Wii to update at all without any sort of command (game, channel update, etc), and it is illegal for them to release an update with the intention of bricking the Wii. All Nintendo is saying is just scare tactics to try to draw the homebrew community away, but it's all been idle threats. Standby connection cannot be on if WiiConnect24 is off.
I'd rather not go around updating, when everywhere I go to strongly advises against it. And I've read oh so many sad tales of many folk crying about how an update killed their Wii. Since there isn't anything worth obtaining in this update (other than IOS58, but I already got it through Tantric's installer... and IOS58 sucks compared to IOS202 anyways), I wouldn't want to risk bricking with bootmii as an IOS (maybe there's a way to recover, but I don't wanna go through such an unnecesary ordeal).

On the other hand... I haven't quite accepted the EULA. I was prompted to do so the first time I wanted to use the Shop Channel, but it also asked me to use WC24 at the same time (at least, that's what I vaguely remember), and I freaked out and disconnected from the internet immediately.
All it does is ask me if I accept their terms, but it never even allows me to skim through their terms and see if I actually agree (I know that it's most likely that I find what terms the EULA discusses by googling them, but still...). The only reason I use internet on my Wii is for the Internet Channel (for real crappy web browsing and chatting... my laptop's still in the shop).

I'd like to see how this post develops and what kind of intel I can gather on this subject, since the manual and google results seem to be oh so vague and incomplete.
WiiConnect24 only purpose is to download news, weather forecasts, and allow your friends Miis visit you while your Wii is in stand-by mode.

No update will never automatically occur if you set WC24 on. Every update has to always be initiated personally by you.
WiiConnect24 will not update your Wii. Also, your Wii is not connected to the Internet unless the power light is orange or green. If it is red, you know it is not connected.

Now, even though WiiConnect24 will not update your Wii, it can still damage it. If you leave it on during standby mode, many people, including myself, have found that your Wii can get a little toasty. So toasty, in fact, that it can permanently damage your Wii's GPU. Therefore, I recommend turning WiiConnect24 on, but turning WiiConnect24 standby off.
Nintendo will not update your wii without your consent. Although their EULA indicates that they might, the system menu currently does not have the code necessary to do so, and it probably never will.
Magil
And I've read oh so many sad tales of many folk crying about how an update killed their Wii.

That's because they've done something you SHOULDN'T do when updating (lose power, take out a CD, etc)
Mestizo
Magil
And I've read oh so many sad tales of many folk crying about how an update killed their Wii.

That's because they've done something you SHOULDN'T do when updating (lose power, take out a CD, etc)

Or because the Boot2 update bricked their wii. As rare as it is, it does happen.
jbc007
Mestizo
Magil

Or because the Boot2 update bricked their wii. As rare as it is, it does happen.

With that, Magil, if you have Boot2 with BootMii, uninstall it, then update. You should be good, but you lose BootMii.
Mestizo
jbc007
Mestizo
Magil

With that, Magil, if you have Boot2 with BootMii, uninstall it, then update. You should be good, but you lose BootMii.

There is no reason to uninstall Bootmii before updating. Although there is practically no danger in doing so, modifying boot2 for no reason is not exactly a good idea. After all, having Bootmii/boot2 when performing the update does not make the update any more dangerous. Furthermore, just because you can update and still retain full homebrew functionality is not a reason to update. In reality, there is absolutely no benefit to updating.
jbc007
Mestizo
jbc007
Mestizo
Magil

There is no reason to uninstall Bootmii before updating. Although there is practically no danger in doing so, modifying boot2 for no reason is not exactly a good idea. After all, having Bootmii/boot2 when performing the update does not make the update any more dangerous. Furthermore, just because you can update and still retain full homebrew functionality is not a reason to update. In reality, there is absolutely no benefit to updating.

Other than the fact that it could be far more convenient, since you won't have to go through processes like WIiSCU or NUS Downloader to update.
Thanks for the rather informative answers I've gotten so far.

I never did intend on having WC24 on at all. As winmaster stated and many other people across the net as well, it'll only damage the GPU in the long term.

Upon doing a bit more informed research on Google using the terms you lay here before me, there are no actual "automatic" updates, at least none while your Wii is connected to the internet. My ignorant fear came from the fact I had read in several places about waking up to their Wii with their blue DVD LCD blinking, indicating that it was being updated at the time. And while it somehow holds true to people who've somehow enabled the option in WC24 (???), it mostly is an indicator that you have a new message, received mail from Nintendo's servers, or Nintendo is notifying you about an update people may be interested in. When, and only when you manually accept the update itself, THEN it'll update.

But then, I might still be a little ways off. I do, however, believe you are right, and thank you for your answers.
Mestizo
Other than the fact that it could be far more convenient, since you won't have to go through processes like WIiSCU or NUS Downloader to update.

This really makes no sense. Bootmii/boot2 cannot prevent an official update from working. It is far more convenient to select update in the wii settings that it is to run the Hackmii Installer, uninstall Bootmii, and then go back to the settings and choose to update.
jbc007
Mestizo

This really makes no sense. Bootmii/boot2 cannot prevent an official update from working. It is far more convenient to select update in the wii settings that it is to run the Hackmii Installer, uninstall Bootmii, and then go back to the settings and choose to update.

I believe he was referring to this:

'In reality, there is absolutely no benefit to updating.'

He meant that it was more convenient to use official update so you didn't have to manually update your channels :)

I think he left the uninstalling bootmii from boot2 before updating topic aside :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 12:55AM by Axel.
It's currently impossible for Nintendo to remotely auto-update Wiis with WC24, see this: [wiibrew.org]
Disabling WC24 would only stop WC24 from downloading announcements, mail, title data, etc.
Hmmm... so, just a small recap.

- Nintendo CANNOT (legally) auto-update. It requires for the user to accept to download and install the update when prompted.

- Nintendo CANNOT (techincally) auto-update. The way the sys menu is currently coded cannot support for automatic updates (for some reason... ??? ), yet if enabled in WC24 (even more ??????) it CAN auto-update, unless it were somehow configured NOT to (I dunno if there are any options available to reconfigure with WC24 given that I've never activated it and prolly never will).

- WC24 has no other use other than keeping the Wii connected to the internet at all times, for the purposes of several WC24 compatible games which can be played online (SSBB, etc.) and select channels (News, Forecast channel, etc.); also, while in Standby mode, to receive messages from other contacts and Nintendo (regarding availability of new channels or system updates)

- Having WC24 off, but still have connection to the internet reflects absolutely NOTHING regarding auto-updates, and is supposed to only actually "work" (internet connection) when the user so willingly uses an app or channel that requires said connection (Internet channel, HBC, WiiMC, etc.)

I know I'm asking the same questions over and over again, but I just gotta be 100% sure before leaving my Wii connected to the internet WITHOUT WC24.
All that is correct.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login