Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions (SD cards, programs, bricking, and system menu)

Posted by SwiftFinch 
Questions (SD cards, programs, bricking, and system menu)
December 25, 2008 09:24PM
Happy Christmas.

I finally got Twilight Princess and an SD card, so I'm probably gonna try homebrew as soon as I sort everything out.

First, do I absolutely need an SD card reader? I was planning to just put it in my camera and try to manage it through there. Would it work?

Second, unfortunately I don't exactly have the most money in the world, so if I brick my wii, I probably wouldn't be able to replace it quickly. Which is bad. So these are the programs I plan on installing:
Homebrew Channel
MPlayer
Quake
FCE Ultra GX
Genesis Plus
Hugo-Wii
SDL MAME
Snes9x GX
Visual Boy Advance GX
Wii64
and Yabause Wii

Judging by this:
Disclaimer
Your Wii console could be permanently damaged beyond repair if you misuse any homebrew applications.
And I read some other places that some programs themselves could brick my wii. Would any of those programs do such? And what is "misusing" homebrew applications?

Third, if in a freak accident I brick it (I'm definitely not gonna "delete critical system files", so hopefully it won't be a full brick), what's the best way to fix it?

Finally:
Wiibrew
Check and double-check that you know what you're doing when running homebrew, especially that with the "Homebrew Dangerous if Misused" banner on its page.
I don't think I know entirely what I'm doing, but if I follow the guides step-by-step I should be good to go, right?

Thanks. :)
Re: Questions (SD cards, programs, bricking, and system menu)
December 25, 2008 10:50PM
Yes, you can use your camera to copy files to SD cards.

The "permanently damage" message only really affects applications like Starfall, which modify Wii system files. If you just stick to the stuff which you copy on the SD card after installing the Homebrew Channel, you should be fine.
December 26, 2008 02:40AM
yeah! no pirating questions, AND someone who has done their research first... this guy is my favorite questioner so far!
December 26, 2008 04:14PM
If you accidently brick your wii, both savemii and savemiifrii should fix your wii.
December 26, 2008 07:12PM
Well, the camera didn't work (couldn't paste things or drag and drop into them. Maybe it only can handle picture files, I dunno...), but luckily I remembered that my other laptop has an SD card reader, so got it all set up and everything. =D

Thanks everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login