Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why a Wii does this and could it be used?

Posted by NotAWiiHacker 
Why a Wii does this and could it be used?
September 25, 2010 02:05AM
I have a wii, and an iPod nano 4th Gen 8gb...and I commenly plug it into my Wii to charge it.... It atempts to sync with my Wii on standby, but doesnt get there; it just charges. The wii will boot fine, with it,,but the hombre channel with Crash and go into "stach Dump' if you start the HB channel then plug my ipod in, you just get a black screen with a green falshing line? My computer attempts to boot my iPod as a bootable USB drive... So that may have something to do with it. I was wonderin... could this be a lucky break for Reverse Engineers? Could it be used for something? And why does this happen?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 02:12AM by NotAWiiHacker.
Re: Why a Wii does this and could it be used?
September 25, 2010 04:34AM
It is probably because the Wii recognizes it as a USB device but doesn't know what it is. I can't really be used for anything.
September 25, 2010 04:53PM
Wii ignores it as it isn't programmed to use USB stuff. HBC probably crashes because its a bootable USB drive, which it probably isn't expecting. (This is a guess though).

It will not be useful in anyway, considering it only crashes HBC. If it was a crash in something official, there'd be a (VERY slim) chance it could possibly be useful.
September 25, 2010 05:27PM
Pretty sure this is because the later ipod nanos have 2048 byte sectors instead of 512, which is what all SD cards and nearly all HDDs use. libfat can't handle it and crashes.

Edit: A bit of reading up shows the 8GB ipods use 4096, not 2048. Same bug though, if it's larger than 512 libfat won't like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 05:29PM by tueidj.
September 25, 2010 05:59PM
I think this topic is settled now, thanks for the insight tueidj. Locked.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.