Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4.3 to 4.1

Posted by arian44 
4.3 to 4.1
October 05, 2010 07:10PM
Hi,
This weekend, I'm going to a friend and he asked me to install HBC on his Wii for him.
He has 4.3 and Indiana Jones. But I wanted to install 4.1 for him because it doesn't block the title ID's.
I don't know if it's boot1-vulnerable but I wanted to know a safe way to do it.
Please help me.
Thanks in advance.
Re: 4.3 to 4.1
October 05, 2010 07:36PM
I believe (though I haven't done it) the best way to do this is to use the Indiana Pwns method to run DOP-Mii and use that to downgrade to 4.1. Although, downgrading is the most dangerous thing you can do to your Wii. Besides, if you use the latest Hackmii installer, there's no need to downgrade if he just wants the Homebrew Channel (HBC 1.0.7+ is compatible with 4.3 with no other problems)

Also, if his Wii came with 4.3 from the box, downgrading anything lower has a REALLY high chance of bricking the Wii. Any firmware 4.1 and higher, other than enabling play of some games, does NOT change anything to the Wii itself (The last real update was 4.0, which adds SDHC support. Everything after that was anti-coding and anti-piracy)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 07:39PM by Mestizo.
October 05, 2010 07:38PM
Don't I need to install IOS60 v6174 or something like that?
October 05, 2010 07:41PM
No. If he has 4.3, then he should have IOS58 (Just to be safe, do a system update beforehand). Run the Hackmii installer, and that should enable Homebrew Channel to load from IOS58 + AHPROT. That's the current exploit it's running on now.

In short, all you need for this is:

Lego Indiana Jones/Super Smash Bros Brawl/Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds
1-2 GB SD card (Not SDHC)
the latest Hackmii installer [http://bootmii.org/download/]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 07:45PM by Mestizo.
October 05, 2010 07:44PM
I heard somewher that you aren't able to play emulators like vBaGX.
How do you solve this then?
October 05, 2010 07:47PM
You can still play the emulators if you installed the latest Homebrew Channel. You must be referring to 4.3 refusing to load "HAXX" title ids. The latest Hackmii installer found a way past that. The only way to get Homebrew Channel now is through Bannerbomb on 4.2 or lower, Indiana Pwns (which he does have now), Smash Stack, or Yu-Gi-OWNED. As long as he can run it from the Homebrew channel itself, it will run.
October 05, 2010 07:50PM
OK, then thanks for all help.
But I have 1 more question, how do I set up a proper brick protection if his Wii isn't Boot1-vulnerable?
October 05, 2010 07:52PM
Not really sure. My Wii wasn't able to install BootMii into that, so I didn't really do any brick protection. If all he wants to do is play emulators, there should be no harm to the system. The only way it would brick is if he ran some unofficial/malicious homebrew, or if he turned off the Wii running an update from a disk. For now, all current retail games on the Wii does no harm to HBC.
October 05, 2010 07:54PM
But when I go to 4.1 there's always a change of a brick , can't I prevent that by installing something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 07:55PM by arian44.
October 05, 2010 07:57PM
As I said before, there's no logical reason to downgrade unless you're willing to have a $200 rectangular paperweight. If he's just interested in homebrew, the current exploits are all he needs. He should NOT EVER downgrade. If he does, it has a REALLY high chance of doing something to the Wii's programming, rendering it completely useless. Best brick-protection if he REALLY wants 4.1 is to either not downgrade or find a Wii with 4.1 or lower (he can update specifically to 4.1 using DOP-Mii)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 07:58PM by Mestizo.
October 05, 2010 08:01PM
Don't downgrade his Wii to 4.1 unless you make sure bootmii can be installed into boot2 and you have already done so, and also backed up his current NAND!

If you don't know his Wii serial number, model, factory firmware version, etc, you better avoid downgrading it or you could run into the risk of bricking his Wii and he will call you responsible.

There is really not any need to downgrade his Wii to 4.1, besides, if you do, I'm very sure that he will soon start to rant about not being able to enter to the shop channel, or load latest games like Metroid other M. He will end up upgrading again to 4.3 anyway, and if you installed an older revision of HBC it will be removed by that update.

Keep safe and install HBC 1.0.8, and if possible bootmii as boot2 and make a NAND dump. This can be done even when he is under 4.3. Don't install older revisions of HBC which would surely get removed if he updates. Everything works great with HBC 1.0.8 and all emulators do work, the only issue is that not all external Hard Disks are working due to still experimental implementations of HW_ABHPROT, but everything works great from SD. If any issue, just go back to a previous version of the emulator not based on IOS58 and it will work good.
October 05, 2010 08:02PM
There is nothing you can possibly install that will prevent any potential bricking from downgrading. Priiloader is the best brick protection (currently) available for a Wii with an updated boot1, and it is wiped out by installing a different version of the System Menu (or reinstalling the same version).

However: YOU SHOULD NOT DOWNGRADE THE WII TO 4.1

There is ZERO benefit to doing this, there is NOTHING that this will improve in ANY way. DO NOT DOWNGRADE THE WII. I don't know why you think this is necessary, but you are WRONG.
October 05, 2010 08:43PM
Thanks for all the advice, i'm not planig om donwgrading anymore, if i could I would all +rep you a 1000 times.
October 21, 2010 05:08PM
Dont downgrade... the only reason why your wii isnt working properly is because the new system updates exploit the trucha bug....

This link will fix all the problems you are having... [[b]REMOVED[/b]]

I am running 4.3 with the same functionality as my older 3.x system with HBC installed.

We don't support IOS patches here. --bg4545

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 07:56PM by bg4545.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login